Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Another SoCal'er

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
GT-Rx

GT-Rx

Another SoCal'er Empty
PostSubject: Another SoCal'er   Another SoCal'er EmptyThu Dec 19, 2013 3:27 pm

Just bought a very lightly used 2013 R, stock mostly outside of a few ergo mods. Looking forward to contributing as well as absorbing some info here. I'm a life time rider/racer, who is fortunate enough to make my living tinkering on bikes (mostly Moto Guzzi).
Back to top Go down
250riders

250riders

Another SoCal'er Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another SoCal'er   Another SoCal'er EmptySat Dec 21, 2013 12:32 am

Hello GT-Rx,

Welcome to the WR250R world.  What other bikes have you owned prior to your WR?

I am a bit north of you but once in a great while make it down to the Rock Store.  By the way, what do you think of the V7 as far a reliable bike? Our local dealer kind of made it sound like they still not as reliable as the big 4. The V7 has some cool things about it, like shaft drive, light weight, easy to adjust valves...etc

Thanks,
Jon
Back to top Go down
GT-Rx

GT-Rx

Another SoCal'er Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another SoCal'er   Another SoCal'er EmptySun Dec 22, 2013 1:27 pm

250riders wrote:
Welcome to the WR250R world.  What other bikes have you owned prior to your WR? I am a bit north of you but once in a great while make it down to the Rock Store.  By the way, what do you think of the V7 as far a reliable bike?  Our local dealer kind of made it sound like they still not as reliable as the big 4.  The V7 has some cool things about it, like shaft drive, light weight, easy to adjust valves...etc

Jon, thanks for the welcome. Just a few of the bikes I own currently/prior to my 250 purchase, are below in my signature... mostly small as I can ride some trails from my house, but they are über tight and technical single track, so even the 250 is a bit too big to enjoy here.

I've owned dozens of bikes over the last few decades, as I started riding at 4, dirt-track racing at 8 (two-strokes up until my first Wood Rotax at 16 yrs. old).

Where in Central CA are you? I lived in SLO in '04-05.5, and rode Pozo while there MANY times. I've been riding in and around Santa Barbara lately as well. See pic below.

As for Guzzis, the '13+ V7 has been a solid seller, and is very reliable. The weak links depending on your weight and riding desires, might be power (~38 hp) and definitely suspension. I have been catering to solving problems on F.I. Guzzis since '01. Happy to chat more direct if you want to email me.

Perhaps we can meet up if you ever come down this way. I'm not far from the R.S.

Another SoCal'er Wr250r10
Back to top Go down
250riders

250riders

Another SoCal'er Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another SoCal'er   Another SoCal'er EmptySun Dec 22, 2013 9:18 pm

I work up in SLO and have for the past 22 years.  They just opened a new Yamaha, Vespa, Aprilla and Moto Guzzi store in SLO.  The V7 is really nice.  The 38 hp doesn't bother me as my days of riding fast are over.  I just enjoy the ride and sights now.  I feel like I can go anywhere with my 26hp WR.  (I forget, but I think they are about 26hp)   A friend of mine just bought a new Bonnie and said that after two weeks of riding the suspension was killing him so he sold it and now is on a Tiger XC800.  (realizing they are two different types of bikes)  His thought was that the suspension just needed to much work.  After looking at your website, looks like you have some great options for the V7 suspension or are those shocks for different model Moto Guzzi's?

I saw a guy on advrider that took a V7 and found some decent on/off road tires that fit the 18/17 rims.  With its light weight (about 35lbs less then a KLR) good size gas tank, shaft drive, it looked like it made a better 80/20 ADV bike then some of the 500 lb ADV bikes available.  I guess ground clearance and suspension would be the weak spot.  I will shoot you a PM or email sometime as I would be interested in hearing more about the V7 suspension options.

Love Pozo and High Mountain, especially on my WR.  I currently have Pirelli Diablo's on it but even with 30 psi street tires, I can go faster in the dirt at Pozo then my KLR or DR.
Back to top Go down
250riders

250riders

Another SoCal'er Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another SoCal'er   Another SoCal'er EmptySun Dec 22, 2013 9:21 pm

Oh and by the way, that picture overlooking S.B. looks familar. Is that Camino Cielo east of Hwy 154? That is another great ride! I will give you a heads up if I get down your direction and you do the same! It would be nice to ride with another WR.

Jon
Back to top Go down
GT-Rx

GT-Rx

Another SoCal'er Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another SoCal'er   Another SoCal'er EmptyMon Dec 23, 2013 1:33 pm

Small world. I need to get back up and ride Pozo again... it's been too long.

Sounds like you'll be a great fit for the V7. Many are enjoying them. I have two customers that run knobbies on their V7's but they don't off-road at all of course.

Yes, that shot is on Divide Peak Route, one of my favorites to take new friends on. I need to explore more of that area though... every time I've been there it's been under time constraints.

Look forward to meeting up one day soon.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Another SoCal'er Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another SoCal'er   Another SoCal'er Empty

Back to top Go down

Another SoCal'er
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum :: General :: New Members-
Jump to: