Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Air filter clean up?

Go down 
+2
YZEtc
Prairieparson
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Prairieparson

Air filter clean up? Empty
PostSubject: Air filter clean up?   Air filter clean up? EmptyTue Dec 31, 2013 7:35 pm

Am doing my own 4000 mile service. The owners manual says use a solvent to clean the filter and then reoil the filter. No problem, but what solvent is Ok and what kind of oil?
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: Air filter clean up?   Air filter clean up? EmptyTue Dec 31, 2013 8:38 pm

Foam air filter cleaner and foam air filter oil.
Available from any place that sells dirt bike parts.

In my opinion, Maxima FFT oil does the best job.
Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

PostSubject: Re: Air filter clean up?   Air filter clean up? EmptyTue Dec 31, 2013 9:23 pm

Mineral spirits are fine. Here's an official Yamaha "how to" video on cleaning/lubing air filters ....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-ETKomHST4

Timmybob likes this post

Back to top Go down
Wallrat

Wallrat

PostSubject: Re: Air filter clean up?   Air filter clean up? EmptyThu Jan 02, 2014 1:05 pm

I use Uni filter oil and Simple Green on Uni Filters. 5 minute job. Make sure to let the filter dry completely before putting it back on the bike.
Back to top Go down
WolfpackFBNS

PostSubject: Re: Air filter clean up?   Air filter clean up? EmptyTue Mar 03, 2015 9:18 pm

So how long does the stock filter last if you clean and re-oil on a regular basis? And this may not be what's best but I've used some K&N filter cleaner and oil since I've had it laying around. Is that bad? dunno
Back to top Go down
Evol

Evol

PostSubject: Re: Air filter clean up?   Air filter clean up? EmptyTue Mar 03, 2015 9:30 pm

If you're mainly riding on the street, just take your foam filter and replace it with a K&N filter. If it gets dirty, blow it out with an air gun.
Back to top Go down
WolfpackFBNS

PostSubject: Re: Air filter clean up?   Air filter clean up? EmptyTue Mar 03, 2015 9:34 pm

Evol wrote:
If you're mainly riding on the street, just take your foam filter and replace it with a K&N filter. If it gets dirty, blow it out with an air gun.

I'm really transitioning this bike over to more dirt riding. So K&N would not be good for that? dunno
What brand is recommended? I see lot's of people running "no toil".
Back to top Go down
Evol

Evol

PostSubject: Re: Air filter clean up?   Air filter clean up? EmptyTue Mar 03, 2015 9:39 pm

No-Toil are good filters. I ran one in my CR250 (years ago) and you're right, I've also read lots of posts from people running No-Toil foam filters. If dirt is where you're headed, I'd stick with a foam filter and oil it regularly to keep out the dirt.
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: Air filter clean up?   Air filter clean up? EmptyWed Mar 04, 2015 7:43 am

WolfpackFBNS wrote:
So how long does the stock filter last if you clean and re-oil on a regular basis? And this may not be what's best but I've used some K&N filter cleaner and oil since I've had it laying around. Is that bad? dunno

The stock air filter will last many cleanings and re-oils as long as you don't tear it or in some way abuse it while handling it.
Eventually, like practically anything, it will need to be replaced, and do so as soon as you see damage.
Myself, I have two air filters on hand for my bike, just in case.

I wouldn't use K&N filter oil as that's meant for their cotton gauze filter material, not foam filter material.
Also, the K&N oil doesn't tack-up and become sticky like a foam filter oil does.
I'd use the correct stuff as filtering the air for your engine is a big deal.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Air filter clean up?   Air filter clean up? Empty

Back to top Go down

Air filter clean up?
Page 1 of 1