Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Exhaust Mods

Go down 
+28
WRRSam
jacque372
0007onWR
bonecrusher
mpwaffle
Akoffroader
scottmac
vwsandman
gas_pig70
rpo83
Addicted
Krabill
10Cup
Gargoyle
mwakey
mr_beat
asheville thumper
abchel
ZED
mtb
boogn1sh
edwardhill1995
proview
SheWolf
oldirt
shredak
Chadx
YamWOW!
32 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
mwakey

mwakey

Exhaust Mods - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Exhaust Mods   Exhaust Mods - Page 3 EmptyMon Apr 13, 2009 9:51 am

vwsandman wrote:
I would like to put the power bomb on, but I have heard is is a different diameter...any one know the OD of the power bomp pipe? then I can measure the GYTR and see if it will fit or not...

I can confirm that the PowerBomb is a different diameter. When I bought my Q4 it came with an aluminum adapter sleeve to fit the stock head pipe. I didn't use it since I was installing the PowerBomb at the same time as the Q4. You are welcome to it for free (plus the cost of shipping) if you decide to get the Bomb. I would guess the adapter sleeve would fit the same on the GYTR as the stock silencer.

Exhaust Mods - Page 3 FMF_Adapter1

Exhaust Mods - Page 3 FMF_Adapter2

Exhaust Mods - Page 3 FMF_Adapter3
Back to top Go down
vwsandman

vwsandman

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust Mods   Exhaust Mods - Page 3 EmptyMon Apr 13, 2009 10:53 am

Thanks Mwakey, but I think that would sleeve it down in the wrong direction right? The Power Bomb header has a larger OD that than the OEM/GYTR so this adapter is to increase the size of the OEM header pipe for the FMF rear pipe right? I have one of those adpater I had to cut off an OEM header pipe I got from another person....I think when you are all FMF it all fits, but you need that adapter to go from the smaller OEM header pipe to the larger FMF Slip-on.....make sense?

I think the larger DIA power bomb to GYTR would require a person to open up the end of the GYTR with a Muffler expander tool (which I happen to have) Could you measure the part you have and let us know what the OD of it is? ( I am at work and can not measure mine at home, if I did not throw it out because I cut it) That way I can see if it would be possible to stretch out the GYTR to fit it on....might not be the way to go with the bigger to smaller pipe sizes though performance wise....not sure...
Back to top Go down
mwakey

mwakey

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust Mods   Exhaust Mods - Page 3 EmptyMon Apr 13, 2009 11:43 am

My bad. You are right about that. Don't know what I was thinking. This sleeve is roughly 43 mm O.D. and about 38 mm I.D.

I don't have my calipers at home so I am using a ruler to eyeball it the best I can. Sorry about that.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust Mods   Exhaust Mods - Page 3 EmptyMon Apr 13, 2009 12:13 pm

See what happens when you don't ride, Mark? wink Your brain goes and has a mental orgasm. Very happy Hey I was going to ask; is that the copper silicone you're using?

vwsandman

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust Mods   Exhaust Mods - Page 3 EmptyMon Apr 13, 2009 1:31 pm

I will check mine at home if it is still around and see if that is something we could stretch the GYTR pipe to fit or not....

Also I love the way the GYTR pipe is browning/goldening up as the stainless goes through some heat cycles...always loved that look...
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust Mods   Exhaust Mods - Page 3 EmptyMon Apr 13, 2009 1:59 pm

Did you get any blue yet? I always liked that along with the purple. We used to see that on the stacks of the old Western Star we had. thumb

vwsandman

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust Mods   Exhaust Mods - Page 3 EmptyMon Apr 13, 2009 4:54 pm

Too far away from the head pipe to get any blue..but maybe!
Back to top Go down
mwakey

mwakey

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust Mods   Exhaust Mods - Page 3 EmptyMon Apr 13, 2009 8:45 pm

SheWolf wrote:
See what happens when you don't ride, Mark? wink Your brain goes and has a mental orgasm. Very happy Hey I was going to ask; is that the copper silicone you're using?

Whatchu talkin 'bout Willis? I was riding today thank you very much. In fact I rode so much my ass hurts. Weather is great here. Upper 70's and light breeze. PERFECT!

The reason my brain goes is simply old age. You will get there someday girl! BTW, what's up with the new avatar? Had to look twice to see who was giving me a hard time!

Oh ya, and the silicone is Permatex Ultra Copper. Good stuff. thumb
Back to top Go down
shredak

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust Mods   Exhaust Mods - Page 3 EmptyMon Apr 13, 2009 10:23 pm

Just got back from my test ride with Q4 installed. When I got the pipe I check for leaks and sure enough there were a few so I pulled the pipe apart at work and recilconed the seams.
Got home and installed the pipe with the tool kit in the little black box, my real tools are in storage. Took 20-30 minutes.

Review, I noticed a substantial decrease in lugging during high gear lowish speed. I also noticed 3rd gear wheelies being much easier.
Caaaa-Ching
Back to top Go down
Akoffroader

PostSubject: Pipes   Exhaust Mods - Page 3 EmptyMon Apr 13, 2009 11:42 pm

What do you guys / gal think of the noise of the Q4 or GYTR pipes on the WRR? I like a quiet bike but would like to get rid of the restrictive stock pipe. I put a Q4 on my XRL and think I'll pull it off and sell it. I didn't like the noise it made rolling down the slab, too loud.

Greg
Back to top Go down
proview

proview

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust Mods   Exhaust Mods - Page 3 EmptyMon Apr 13, 2009 11:57 pm

Akoffroader wrote:
What do you guys / gal think of the noise of the Q4 or GYTR pipes on the WRR? I like a quiet bike but would like to get rid of the restrictive stock pipe. I put a Q4 on my XRL and think I'll pull it off and sell it. I didn't like the noise it made rolling down the slab, too loud.

Greg
Sounds like you will not want the Q4 then. I can only speak for that particular one. I like the sound of mine over stock. Just sounds like a dirt bike now. Not too loud for me. But, I think it may be for you from what you've said.
Back to top Go down
shredak

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust Mods   Exhaust Mods - Page 3 EmptyTue Apr 14, 2009 12:49 am

Akoffroader I just put the q4 on my r2 I can cruise out to chugiak this weekend and you can hear it if you would like. I like my bike quiet as well and was nervous about buying it without knowing how loud it is, I am satisfied.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust Mods   Exhaust Mods - Page 3 EmptyTue Apr 14, 2009 11:06 am

I haven't got mine yet...I'm waiting to hear Red's and see how it is and I'll go from there. I have a White Bros on my XL250 and tha things is hideously loud. People named it Honda Davidson because it's like a Harley with straight pipes. eeek

mpwaffle

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust Mods   Exhaust Mods - Page 3 EmptySat Apr 18, 2009 9:31 pm

I finished installing my Yoshimura pipe and PowerCommander... What a difference! Woke it right up. I don't know about the mounting location for the PCIII, so I might move it somewhere under the seat.

As to increased noise... with the spark arrestor in, I don't mind it. When cruising up to 35mph (>10% throttle), I don't think the can's too loud. When I go wide open with it, it's noticeably louder. I kinda like it like that; make noise when on the go, and sneak by when needed. Then again, I'm sitting on top of the bike, not right behind it. It could be louder than I realize. dunno
Back to top Go down
bonecrusher

bonecrusher

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust Mods   Exhaust Mods - Page 3 EmptySun Apr 19, 2009 6:15 am

mpwaffle wrote:
I finished installing my Yoshimura pipe and PowerCommander... What a difference! Woke it right up. I don't know about the mounting location for the PCIII, so I might move it somewhere under the seat.

I have the same setup as you. I mounted the PCIII under the seat after removing all the flapper hardware. It fits nicely on the top of the airbox intake where the flapper actuator used to reside.
Back to top Go down
mpwaffle

mpwaffle

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust Mods   Exhaust Mods - Page 3 EmptySun Apr 19, 2009 12:52 pm

Bonecrusher, how did you attach the PCIII to the airbox intake? Yoshimura provided velcro strips, but I only used the zip-ties.

Also, a question about exhaust mounting... I've heard people say that high temp silicone should be applied at the exhaust joints. At the "header/mid-pipe" joint and/or "mid-pipe/silencer" joint? And, is it necessary?
Back to top Go down
Akoffroader

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust Mods   Exhaust Mods - Page 3 EmptySun Apr 19, 2009 5:57 pm

mpwaffle wrote:

As to increased noise... with the spark arrestor in, I don't mind it. When cruising up to 35mph (>10% throttle), I don't think the can's too loud. When I go wide open with it, it's noticeably louder. I kinda like it like that; make noise when on the go, and sneak by when needed. Then again, I'm sitting on top of the bike, not right behind it. It could be louder than I realize. dunno

Did you do anything to your airbox?

Greg
Back to top Go down
mpwaffle

mpwaffle

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust Mods   Exhaust Mods - Page 3 EmptySun Apr 19, 2009 6:37 pm

Yeah, opened it up. I took the airbox door off, but I didn't do the trap-door removal. I didn't see the point with all the added flow, and I didn't want to hassle with putting that all back together. I want to have two fuel maps made; one for winter/economy (sparky in, airbox door on, stock air filter, etc.) and one for performance/summer (sparky removed, airbox door removed, K&N filter, etc.). I want to make it a 10 min. process to switch between the two "modes".
Back to top Go down
mwakey

mwakey

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust Mods   Exhaust Mods - Page 3 EmptySun Apr 19, 2009 6:40 pm

mpwaffle wrote:
Also, a question about exhaust mounting... I've heard people say that high temp silicone should be applied at the exhaust joints. At the "header/mid-pipe" joint and/or "mid-pipe/silencer" joint? And, is it necessary?

Yes, a good high temp silicone is nessesary for a good seal with slip on pipes. Most don't have clamps, so you need something there. Even if you do have a clamp, the silicone is a good idea to help stop the little leaks that are bound to occur later. It's also a good idea to retorque all your mounting bolts and clamps after a few rides, as stuff has a tendancy to move around after it's been in use and run up to operating temps. I use Permatex Ultra Copper high temp silicone. VERY good stuff.

Tip: Keep the silicone in the fridge when not in use and it's won't harden up in the tube later.
Back to top Go down
mpwaffle

mpwaffle

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust Mods   Exhaust Mods - Page 3 EmptySun Apr 19, 2009 7:09 pm

Cool, thanks! thumb Where can I find that stuff? Home Depot or something? Or, do I need to go to motorcycle shop?
Back to top Go down
bonecrusher

bonecrusher

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust Mods   Exhaust Mods - Page 3 EmptySun Apr 19, 2009 7:13 pm

mpwaffle wrote:
Bonecrusher, how did you attach the PCIII to the airbox intake? Yoshimura provided velcro strips, but I only used the zip-ties.

Velcro. It's not real secure, but there is no wiggle room once the seat is installed. I did not use silicone as the slip joint was so tight that I had to hit the midpipe on with a rubber mallet. If I develop a leak, then I''ll see about sealing it.
Back to top Go down
mwakey

mwakey

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust Mods   Exhaust Mods - Page 3 EmptySun Apr 19, 2009 8:10 pm

mpwaffle wrote:
Cool, thanks! thumb Where can I find that stuff? Home Depot or something? Or, do I need to go to motorcycle shop?

Any auto parts store would have it.
Back to top Go down
0007onWR

0007onWR

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust Mods   Exhaust Mods - Page 3 EmptySun Apr 19, 2009 8:23 pm

I use the ultra copper stuff too, it just seem's to live longer in hi temp situation's
I drilled the spot weld and took the stock clamp off the muffler, then put 4 slit's in the joint area of the muffler and put the stock clamp in the stock location
Back to top Go down
mpwaffle

mpwaffle

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust Mods   Exhaust Mods - Page 3 EmptySun Apr 19, 2009 11:04 pm

I'll "get in the zone (Auto Zone)" tomorrow on my way to work. Thanks for all the help. bow
Back to top Go down
Akoffroader

PostSubject: Yoshimura   Exhaust Mods - Page 3 EmptySun Apr 19, 2009 11:16 pm

mpwaffle wrote:
I'll "get in the zone (Auto Zone)" tomorrow on my way to work. Thanks for all the help. bow

Just curious, but why did you go with a Yoshi over an FMF or GYTR slip on?

Greg
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust Mods   Exhaust Mods - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Exhaust Mods
Page 3 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next