Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Loss of power while in wheelie.

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
GhostShiftZ

GhostShiftZ

Loss of power while in wheelie. Empty
PostSubject: Loss of power while in wheelie.   Loss of power while in wheelie. EmptySun Jan 19, 2014 10:45 pm

Hey guys! New to the forums I just picked up my 08 about 2 weeks ago. First week and a half I was practicing wheelies every night at my wheelie spot. Was getting pretty good at holding them pretty long. Just a few night ago I went out to my spot and tried pulling a few, came up no problem all the power was there but about 5 seconds into my wheelie power to the bike cut off and sent my front end down very quickly. This happens every single time I pull a wheelie about 5 seconds in. Tried shifting to third while in the wheelie and it still happened so I am pretty sure it happens in any gear. Never have any problems with loss of power with 2 wheels on the ground. I'm not to familiar with what kind of safety switches the bike has but was thinking maybe I am activating one of them. Once the wheel comes down the bike runs fine.

ANY advice or thoughts would be much appreciated!

I wanna ride 1 wheel agaiiiiiin  wink 
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

PostSubject: Re: Loss of power while in wheelie.   Loss of power while in wheelie. EmptyMon Jan 20, 2014 10:51 am

There is a tip over switch mounted up on top of the air box that is suppose to cut off you engine when the bike falls over on it's side. Not sure if that would come on during a wheelie though.

My understanding is that you need to turn the bike off and then back on to reset the switch. If the power comes back when the wheel is back on the ground I doubt it will be the tip over switch then.

You may want to check your battery connections and make sure all the grounds are tight and connectors are fully seated.
Back to top Go down
CSAW

PostSubject: Re: Loss of power while in wheelie.   Loss of power while in wheelie. EmptyMon Jan 20, 2014 12:01 pm

How's your fuel level? Being a newbie here I have no idea where the pickup is located in the tank.
Back to top Go down
GhostShiftZ

GhostShiftZ

PostSubject: Re: Loss of power while in wheelie.   Loss of power while in wheelie. EmptyMon Jan 20, 2014 2:35 pm

Tried it with fuel topped off.. il check connectors tonight... the wiring on the bike is kind of a mess so that could be the case
Back to top Go down
GhostShiftZ

GhostShiftZ

PostSubject: Re: Loss of power while in wheelie.   Loss of power while in wheelie. EmptyTue Jan 21, 2014 5:54 pm

Just went out today and unplugged/ replugged all those connectors behind the radiator.... one of them was a little grimy inside but it doesn't look like the dirt is touching the contact points. Went out and test road it and seemed to be the same thing. I was contemplating the possibility that when I fueled my bike a few times ago that I put in low octane, I have no idea why that would cause this issue but it was just a thought. I still am inclined to believe that it is an electrical issue. This along with a starting issue that arised a day or two after I washed my bike and the self serve wash station. The starting issue just ended up being a blown turn signal fuse, leaving me with just this problem... ANY other insight would be greatly appreciated, this is just stumping me. I just don't understand why it ONLY happens during a wheelie and it takes about 5 seconds for it to happen.

Some people mentioned grounds.. which grounds should I check? The battery is connected good.
Back to top Go down
crazy_dave

crazy_dave

PostSubject: Re: Loss of power while in wheelie.   Loss of power while in wheelie. EmptyThu Jan 23, 2014 7:50 am

Check your kickstand safety switch. While Ive never heard of this being a problem on the WR’s I have had it on multiple sport bikes.
What happens is the spring gets worn and allows the kickstand to drop a little losing contact with the safety switch. Some you can bypass by unplugging it, others the wires need to be twisted together.
Do you notice a power loss over hard bumps?
Check all your connections.
Back to top Go down
mollycbr123

PostSubject: Re: Loss of power while in wheelie.   Loss of power while in wheelie. EmptyThu Jan 23, 2014 8:33 am

Does the WR have a rev limiter?
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

PostSubject: Re: Loss of power while in wheelie.   Loss of power while in wheelie. EmptyThu Jan 23, 2014 11:48 am

mollycbr123 wrote:
Does the WR have a rev limiter?  

yep.. and I have hit it on more than one occasion.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Loss of power while in wheelie.   Loss of power while in wheelie. Empty

Back to top Go down

Loss of power while in wheelie.
Page 1 of 1