Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Brooklyn NY to Eugene OR

Go down 
+7
Dmonkfunk
belizerider
Jungle Man
FG250WRR
dmmcd
mollycbr123
tim007
11 posters
AuthorMessage
tim007

tim007

Brooklyn NY to Eugene OR Empty
PostSubject: Brooklyn NY to Eugene OR   Brooklyn NY to Eugene OR EmptyTue Jan 28, 2014 8:17 pm

Hellos,

I got a ton of helpful info from everyone here on this site & figured I'd share some photos of my trip back in August. 13 days total, camped 8 out of 12 nights.
Avoided the freeway and heavily populated areas at all costs.
Came pretty close, but never had to actually use the rotopax...
Next time, I am packing a warmer sleeping bag. The $17 space saving fleece bag I got off of amazon didn't cut it for overnight temps west of Iowa.

The bike is a 2011 wr250x, I purchased new in April 2011. No complaints whatsoever from the machine.
I had to get a new rear tire when I got into Bend, OR (could have used it much earlier) which is why it's sporting a Shinko 705 is a few of the photos

Shawnee State Park PA:

Brooklyn NY to Eugene OR Ccount12

Somewhere in Illinois I got a hotel room:

Brooklyn NY to Eugene OR Ccount14

Bloomfield Iowa:

Brooklyn NY to Eugene OR Ccount13

Honey Creek State Park Iowa:

Brooklyn NY to Eugene OR Hcreek10

Somewhere in Iowa with a water-logged GPS, (from an all day rain storm from PA to OH) By the time I got to Yankton SD it was dry & functional:

Brooklyn NY to Eugene OR Ccount15

Downstream Recreation Area, Pierre SD:

Brooklyn NY to Eugene OR Ccount16

Badlands National Park, SD:

Brooklyn NY to Eugene OR Ccount18

Badlands National Park, SD,  sage creek campgound:

Brooklyn NY to Eugene OR 95728410

Scenic, SD, Longhorn saloon,  the gas station was closed:

Brooklyn NY to Eugene OR Longho10

Newcastle WY (in fact a nicer town than what's shown):

Brooklyn NY to Eugene OR Ccount17

Thunder Basin National Grassland, WY:

Brooklyn NY to Eugene OR Tbng10

Brooklyn NY to Eugene OR Ccount30

Thunder Basin National Grassland, WY, end of Forest Route-942C:

Brooklyn NY to Eugene OR Tbng3310

Brooklyn NY to Eugene OR Ccount19

Thunder Basin National Grassland, WY, with early AM fog:

Brooklyn NY to Eugene OR Ccount20

Thunder Basin National Grassland, WY, leaving dense fog:

Brooklyn NY to Eugene OR Ccount21

Big sandy recreation area, outside of Farson WY):

Brooklyn NY to Eugene OR Ccount22

Craters of the moon National Monument campsite:

Brooklyn NY to Eugene OR Ccount23

Somewhere in Oregon:

Brooklyn NY to Eugene OR Ccount24

Near the John Day fossil beds in Oregon:

Brooklyn NY to Eugene OR Ccount25

New rear tire in Bend, Oregon:

Brooklyn NY to Eugene OR Ccount26

Ouside of Sisters, Oregon:

Brooklyn NY to Eugene OR Ccount27

Hwy 242, Oregon:

Brooklyn NY to Eugene OR Ccount28

Victory lap to Florence, Oregon:

Brooklyn NY to Eugene OR Ccount29

Brooklyn NY to Eugene OR Route10
Back to top Go down
mollycbr123

PostSubject: Re: Brooklyn NY to Eugene OR   Brooklyn NY to Eugene OR EmptyTue Jan 28, 2014 10:31 pm

Kudos, man!  You are definitely a steely-eyed road warrior to make that trip on that bike!  I've done coast to coast, but on much bigger sport tourers with all the amenities.  You my friend, were really roughing it!

Thanks for posting!
Back to top Go down
dmmcd

dmmcd

PostSubject: Re: Brooklyn NY to Eugene OR   Brooklyn NY to Eugene OR EmptyWed Jan 29, 2014 9:25 am

Awesome! I really want to do this some day.
Back to top Go down
FG250WRR

FG250WRR

PostSubject: Re: Brooklyn NY to Eugene OR   Brooklyn NY to Eugene OR EmptyWed Jan 29, 2014 1:27 pm

dmmcd wrote:
Awesome! I really want to do this some day.

Hello Kim
Congrats, this trip it's really my dream  bow  thumb , I'm really amazed and jealous of the possibility of such a journey.i would like to do same GAHHHH
Not easy for a French rider...... 
Back to top Go down
Jungle Man

PostSubject: Re: Brooklyn NY to Eugene OR   Brooklyn NY to Eugene OR EmptyThu Jan 30, 2014 1:54 am

Nice trip! I did a shorter wr/x trip and went through Wyoming, these pics bring back memories.
Just Awesome!
Back to top Go down
belizerider

PostSubject: WOW!    Brooklyn NY to Eugene OR EmptyThu Feb 20, 2014 12:28 pm

Truly, an impressive trip. How did you travel so light and would you do it again (or recommend it to someone else)? Being in Boston, I plan to do some trips around New England on my newly acquired 2008 wr250x and your photos are really inspirational. Thanks for sharing - and your courage! Jim
Back to top Go down
tim007

tim007

PostSubject: Re: Brooklyn NY to Eugene OR   Brooklyn NY to Eugene OR EmptySun Mar 02, 2014 7:02 pm

belizerider wrote:
Truly, an impressive trip.  How did you travel so light and would you do it again (or recommend it to someone else)? Being in Boston, I plan to do some trips around New England on my newly acquired 2008 wr250x and your photos are really inspirational.  Thanks for sharing - and your courage!  Jim

I guess I'm a bit of a minimalist when it comes to travelling. Thin synthetic shirts & underwear pack down pretty small, and of course if you don't install the large bags you can't bring much with you.

This stuff helped save space but got a little chilly at night:

http://www.amazon.com/Klymit-Inertia-Frame-Camping-Mattress/dp/B005ZC098G/ref=pd_sim_a_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=0AMCMZH9CRV42PGP3A6D
http://www.amazon.com/Texsport-Fleece-Sleeping-Bag-Colors/dp/B001916XG4/ref=sr_1_15?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1393799856&sr=1-15

Absolutely would do it again and planning on it, but skip the mid-west. However informative it was to see, smell & taste first hand the nations industrialized agriculture machine, the Ohio-Indiana-Illinois-Iowa train annihilated my rear tire. I looked for curved roads but found slim pickens.

From Boston, maybe head through Canada if you're not afraid of bears like me.
Back to top Go down
Dmonkfunk

Dmonkfunk

PostSubject: Re: Brooklyn NY to Eugene OR   Brooklyn NY to Eugene OR EmptyWed Mar 05, 2014 5:25 pm

Pretty savage! not only to have done it, but planning on a next time!

How did you get the bike back? did you ship it? A useful piece of gear up here in the north where there is trees is a hennessy hammock
http://hennessyhammock.com/

Then you don't need to have any mattress, or tent. It packs down to a football size. very handy. I plan on getting some use out of mine this summer.

Cheers,

Back to top Go down
PortlandWRider

PostSubject: Re: Brooklyn NY to Eugene OR   Brooklyn NY to Eugene OR EmptyTue Jun 24, 2014 10:53 am

Dude, you're the man!! I've driven a car cross-country many times, but have yet to do so on the WR. I give you mad props!
Back to top Go down
FG250WRR

FG250WRR

PostSubject: How many time ?   Brooklyn NY to Eugene OR EmptyTue Jun 24, 2014 11:03 am

Hi Tim
How many days for this fabulous trip ?
Back to top Go down
tim007

tim007

PostSubject: Re: Brooklyn NY to Eugene OR   Brooklyn NY to Eugene OR EmptyTue Jul 01, 2014 8:57 am

Dmonkfunk wrote:
Pretty savage! not only to have done it, but planning on a next time!

How did you get the bike back? did you ship it? A useful piece of gear up here in the north where there is trees is a hennessy hammock
http://hennessyhammock.com/

Then you don't need to have any mattress, or tent. It packs down to a football size. very handy. I plan on getting some use out of mine this summer.

Cheers,

Yeah it was shipped back to NY

PortlandWRider wrote:
Dude, you're the man!! I've driven a car cross-country many times, but have yet to do so on the WR. I give you mad props!

Thanks!

FG250WRR wrote:
Hi Tim
How many days for this fabulous trip ?

13 Days total, about 300 or so miles per day on average.
Back to top Go down
gunslinger

gunslinger

PostSubject: Re: Brooklyn NY to Eugene OR   Brooklyn NY to Eugene OR EmptyThu Aug 13, 2015 9:01 pm

Any idea what your average fuel mileage was?
Back to top Go down
Fiftygrit

Fiftygrit

PostSubject: Re: Brooklyn NY to Eugene OR   Brooklyn NY to Eugene OR EmptyThu Aug 13, 2015 11:35 pm

Great pic`s and a ride you will remember forever, something nobody can ever take away from you, cheer`s
Back to top Go down
Moto57

PostSubject: Re: Brooklyn NY to Eugene OR   Brooklyn NY to Eugene OR EmptySat Aug 22, 2015 11:18 pm

You are the champ of packing light!
My hero. thumb
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Brooklyn NY to Eugene OR   Brooklyn NY to Eugene OR Empty

Back to top Go down

Brooklyn NY to Eugene OR
Page 1 of 1