Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

ProTaper EVO - Windham bend review

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
emdavis197

emdavis197

ProTaper EVO - Windham bend review Empty
PostSubject: ProTaper EVO - Windham bend review   ProTaper EVO - Windham bend review EmptyTue Feb 25, 2014 8:50 pm

Just replaced the stock bars with the ProTaper EVO 1 1/8" fat bars. Also opted for the ProTaper bar-riser / adapter. The Windham bend gives roughly 7 mm rise over stock, and the adapter gives the bars some additional lift. The final setup provides roughly an inch of rise over stock. I love the new bars, they look sharp and provide a more comfortable riding position for tall guys like me. Shameless 3 minute video review here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5AfNofFjiA

Thanks for looking.

Eric
Back to top Go down
BuilderBob

BuilderBob

PostSubject: Re: ProTaper EVO - Windham bend review   ProTaper EVO - Windham bend review EmptyWed Feb 26, 2014 9:12 am

Nice video.

I just installed a set myself. For those attempting to do this, it is not necessary to disassemble the throttle. Just loosen it enough to clear the locating tabs and slide it off after you have removed the bar clamps. There's not enough slack in the cables to slide it off with the bar clamped on.
Back to top Go down
Gath3r13

Gath3r13

PostSubject: Re: ProTaper EVO - Windham bend review   ProTaper EVO - Windham bend review EmptyWed Feb 26, 2014 11:34 am

Nice vid.

Did you happen to get a pic of the stock bars off the bike up against the pro-tapers showing the differences?
If so, would like to see it.
Back to top Go down
emdavis197

emdavis197

PostSubject: Re: ProTaper EVO - Windham bend review   ProTaper EVO - Windham bend review EmptyWed Feb 26, 2014 12:16 pm

Gath3r13 wrote:
Nice vid.

Did you happen to get a pic of the stock bars off the bike up against the pro-tapers showing the differences?
If so, would like to see it.

Hi Gath3r13,

Unfortunately I didn't get that shot. I was planning to, but time got in the way and I was eager to get the EVOs bolted up before the cold set in. There are a variety of different bends (windham, CR High, etc) and plenty of online resources with info about the hight, width, sweep, etc. One thing that wasn't clear in my video is that "I" always use good old-fashioned rubber cement for the grips. I wasn't trying to suggest that you have to do that. Whatever works for you.

If anyone is interested, here is the technique I use for grip installation, which has been flawless for many years of various grip installs on different bikes.

* Dump some rubber cement down into the grips first, and mush the grips around so the rubber cement coats as much of the inner rubber sleeve of the grip as possible, without oozing out all over the place. Wipe away excess.
* Set the grips down, you have a minute or two before the rubber cement begins to get tacky
* Paint a thin coat of rubber cement on the bars, doesn't need to go all the way around the bar, just enough to lube it up a bit. I usually coat the top half of the bar
* Immediately twist semi-tacky grip onto freshly coated bar. Spin the grips all the way around a few times as you are pushing them on, to get the rubber cement fully coated on the bar
* Position grips the way you want them, wipe away excess, and wait about 10 - 15 minutes. Done. Perfect every time. :)

Thanks,
Eric
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ProTaper EVO - Windham bend review   ProTaper EVO - Windham bend review Empty

Back to top Go down

ProTaper EVO - Windham bend review
Page 1 of 1