Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

STock fork tube height

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Eastern Beaver

Eastern Beaver

STock fork tube height Empty
PostSubject: STock fork tube height   STock fork tube height EmptyMon Apr 21, 2014 6:08 am

I'm looking at the forks on my new to me WR250R and the tubes are slightly raised above the top triple clamp - normal? I ask because I'm in Japan and most riders are a bit short and might have raised the tubes? Should they be flush with the top triple clamp? They're about a 1/2 inch above the triple clamp now.
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

PostSubject: Re: STock fork tube height   STock fork tube height EmptyMon Apr 21, 2014 8:23 am

Eastern Beaver wrote:
I'm looking at the forks on my new to me WR250R and the tubes are slightly raised above the top triple clamp - normal? I ask because I'm in Japan and most riders are a bit short and might have raised the tubes? Should they be flush with the top triple clamp? They're about a 1/2 inch above the triple clamp now.

My Service manual calls out that the top of the fork tube gap should be 3mm from the top of the triple clamp. I know there are a lot of people who play around with this so I suspect it is not that critical.

Glad to see that you picked up a WRR. Have purchased your stuff in the past (DL650 PC8, DL650 and DR650 Headlight relay harness, and the 3 circuit solution for my WRR. All of it has worked well.
Back to top Go down
Eastern Beaver

Eastern Beaver

PostSubject: Re: STock fork tube height   STock fork tube height EmptyMon Apr 21, 2014 7:29 pm

rsteiger wrote:
Eastern Beaver wrote:

My Service manual calls out that the top of the fork tube gap should be 3mm from the top of the triple clamp.  I know there are a lot of people who play around with this so I suspect it is not that critical.

Glad to see that you picked up a WRR.  Have purchased your stuff in the past (DL650 PC8, DL650 and DR650 Headlight relay harness, and the 3 circuit solution for my WRR.  All of it has worked well.

Thanks! Mine is 9mm tube to clamp (not including cap). Might be a stock setting in Japan, but I can move it down a bit by the sound of it. Good to know these things!

Installed an H4 Relay Kit last night, very easy to route the wires on this bike. I mounted the relays right above the bulb on the two bolts, perfect!

I'm waiting for an ExUp eliminator, then I'll remove the servo and mount a 3CS where it is now. I'll power the H4 Kit, a Powerlet Socket, and a Coax socket for heated gear off it.

Like to see where others have mounted a socket up front.

Markusjh82 likes this post

Back to top Go down
sturgeon

sturgeon

PostSubject: Re: STock fork tube height   STock fork tube height EmptyMon Apr 21, 2014 9:03 pm

HDB top clamp is where I mounted two power outlets.

Re the fork height, you might also consider checking if the PO also installed a lowering link. It's a common combination for lowering the seat height a bit.
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

PostSubject: Re: STock fork tube height   STock fork tube height EmptyMon Apr 21, 2014 10:15 pm

+1 on the HDB top clamp. Mounted two Powerlet sockets on it.
Back to top Go down
Eastern Beaver

Eastern Beaver

PostSubject: Re: STock fork tube height   STock fork tube height EmptyTue Apr 22, 2014 5:14 am

sturgeon wrote:

Re the fork height, you might also consider checking if the PO also installed a lowering link. It's a common combination for lowering the seat height a bit.

Well for reference I'm 6'3" and I can flat foot the bike, but just barely. How can I tell if a lowering link was installed? The bike seems just right height in any case!

I guess if I was planning on thrashing up some really gnarly trails it might matter, but I don't think I'm going ape with this little beauty to need maximum suspension. Then again, I might change my mind  Rolling Eyes 
Back to top Go down
Eastern Beaver

Eastern Beaver

PostSubject: Re: STock fork tube height   STock fork tube height EmptyTue Apr 22, 2014 5:17 am

rsteiger wrote:
+1 on the HDB top clamp.  Mounted two Powerlet sockets on it.

I've seen those guards and the socket position is swell, guards look awesome etc, but I'm not sure I'm ready to change the bars yet, plus I don't like the hassles of putting the key in and out.

Maybe later this year I'll order up some nice bars and the HDB guard kit we'll see.

Back to top Go down
sturgeon

sturgeon

PostSubject: Re: STock fork tube height   STock fork tube height EmptyTue Apr 22, 2014 8:29 am

Eastern Beaver wrote:
rsteiger wrote:
+1 on the HDB top clamp.  Mounted two Powerlet sockets on it.

I've seen those guards and the socket position is swell, guards look awesome etc, but I'm not sure I'm ready to change the bars yet, plus I don't like the hassles of putting the key in and out.

Maybe later this year I'll order up some nice bars and the HDB guard kit we'll see.

I just ground one edge off the plastic part of the key.
Back to top Go down
sturgeon

sturgeon

PostSubject: Re: STock fork tube height   STock fork tube height EmptyTue Apr 22, 2014 8:40 am

Eastern Beaver wrote:
sturgeon wrote:

Well for reference I'm 6'3" and I can flat foot the bike, but just barely. How can I tell if a lowering link was installed? The bike seems just right height in any case!

I guess if I was planning on thrashing up some really gnarly trails it might matter, but I don't think I'm going ape with this little beauty to need maximum suspension. Then again, I might change my mind  Rolling Eyes 

I guess take a look at it. One common replacement is YamaLink, and it has the brand name inscribed fairly obviously on the side, is either blue or black, and has a grease zerk. The OEM link is silver with no zerk. Entirely possible yours wasn't replaced.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: STock fork tube height   STock fork tube height Empty

Back to top Go down

STock fork tube height
Page 1 of 1