Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Should I un-lower my X?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
brd

Should I un-lower my X? Empty
PostSubject: Should I un-lower my X?   Should I un-lower my X? EmptySun May 25, 2014 5:09 pm

I just got my 09 WRX a couple weekends ago. The P.O. is 5'7" and had the yamalink installed. I'm 6'4" & 36" inseam, so don't really need it. I'm coming off a sportbike, so it still seems relatively tall to me.

I have read that the bike handles better when lowered? Is that because of the rear or because most raise the fork tubes up in the triples?

How much ground clearance do you lose with the yamalink installed?
Back to top Go down
4play

4play

PostSubject: Re: Should I un-lower my X?   Should I un-lower my X? EmptySun May 25, 2014 5:28 pm

Lowering the bike screws up the designed geometry, IMHO never lower a bike unless you need it.
Back to top Go down
beee

PostSubject: Re: Should I un-lower my X?   Should I un-lower my X? EmptyThu May 29, 2014 12:41 am

I am kinda in the same boat. My bike came with a yamalink installed which at 5'10" means I can just flat foot it with dirt wheels. I like being able to flat foot it, but not at the expense of handling. I have heard many people say that it messes up the geometry but I don't know what that means. If you lower the rear 1" with a yamalink and are only able to lower the forks a 1/2", then that will change the geometry But going from 17" street tires to 18/21 dirt combo is a much larger change in that regard.
The yamalink does soften the rear suspension I believe 10% it states it on their website. This can be good or bad depending on your weight. One of these days I will try without the yamalink, just to find out for myself what happens. Post up your findings if you give it a shot.

Make sure you set sag on your bike, and if you change links you will have to re-set the sag. If you are riding on road only I don't know what sag you should run. Probably check on a supermoto forum. I would guess you want less sag because less sag means less weight transfer forward/back when you are on the gas or brakes but who knows.
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

PostSubject: Re: Should I un-lower my X?   Should I un-lower my X? EmptyThu May 29, 2014 9:48 am

Being able to touch the ground with your feet while riding is grossly over-rated.

My experience had been that when I am riding and my feet touch the ground bad things are about to happen.
Back to top Go down
dfoustou

PostSubject: Re: Should I un-lower my X?   Should I un-lower my X? EmptyThu May 29, 2014 8:31 pm

I agree. After a while you get used the the tall bike.

rsteiger wrote:
Being able to touch the ground with your feet while riding is grossly over-rated.

My experience had been that when I am riding and my feet touch the ground bad things are about to happen.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Should I un-lower my X?   Should I un-lower my X? Empty

Back to top Go down

Should I un-lower my X?
Page 1 of 1