Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Buggered Threads on CounterShaft and nut

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
trailrider77

trailrider77

Buggered Threads on CounterShaft and nut Empty
PostSubject: Buggered Threads on CounterShaft and nut   Buggered Threads on CounterShaft and nut EmptySat Jun 14, 2014 10:20 pm

I have a 2008 WR250R (about 4K miles on it).

I was changing the stock sprocket from a 13 to a 12 tooth (gearing it lower to prepare for a trip to CO this August). I used an impact air wrench to remove the counter shaft sprocket nut. I pinged out the indentions and then let the wrench run. I noticed that there was some rust on both washers. After I got the nut off I noticed that the threads on the counter shaft and the nut appears to be buggered in a few areas. So much so that I can't screw on the nut anymore. I even added WD40 to reduce friction but with no success.

I was going to get with a mechanic to see if there's a way to clean up the existing threads on the countershaft and nut.

Has anyone ran into this before?

thx
Back to top Go down
4play

4play

Buggered Threads on CounterShaft and nut Empty
PostSubject: Re: Buggered Threads on CounterShaft and nut   Buggered Threads on CounterShaft and nut EmptySat Jun 14, 2014 10:44 pm

Buy a good thread file & a new nut. Work slowly/carefully trying the nut often.

When I remove the nut to change sprockets, I don't try to dig the staked dents out of the sprocket, just turn it off & let the output shaft straighten the staked part of the nut.
Back to top Go down

Buggered Threads on CounterShaft and nut
Page 1 of 1