Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Master Link and Front Sprocket Questions

Go down 
+2
TKO
liftdt4r
6 posters
AuthorMessage
liftdt4r

liftdt4r

Master Link and Front Sprocket Questions Empty
PostSubject: Master Link and Front Sprocket Questions   Master Link and Front Sprocket Questions EmptySun Jun 22, 2014 1:25 pm

Hey guys, I bought a new chain and sprockets to swap into my WR250R off Rocky Mountain. I noticed the front sprocket looks much different than the stock one. It seems to fine but doesn't have all the spacers the stock one has molded into it. Is this ok?

Also, I bought a RK 520 X-Ring Chain. I saw it came with a rivet style master which I have not used before. I bought a couple extra clip style master links but the pegs on the master are not long enough to fit through the chain and put on the clip. Is there any way I can get a clip style master for this chain or am I stuck using the rivet style? Thanks guys!!!!
Back to top Go down
TKO

TKO

PostSubject: Re: Master Link and Front Sprocket Questions   Master Link and Front Sprocket Questions EmptyMon Jun 23, 2014 6:37 pm

liftdt4r wrote:
Hey guys, I bought a new chain and sprockets to swap into my WR250R off Rocky Mountain. I noticed the front sprocket looks much different than the stock one. It seems to fine but doesn't have all the spacers the stock one has molded into it. Is this ok?

Yup

Also, I bought a RK 520 X-Ring Chain. I saw it came with a rivet style master which I have not used before. I bought a couple extra clip style master links but the pegs on the master are not long enough to fit through the chain and put on the clip. Is there any way I can get a clip style master for this chain or am I stuck using the rivet style? Thanks guys!!!!

Rivet only for a chain designed for it.

Back to top Go down
4play

4play

PostSubject: Re: Master Link and Front Sprocket Questions   Master Link and Front Sprocket Questions EmptyMon Jun 23, 2014 7:16 pm

I highly recommend the rivet style. If you don't want to buy or borrow the tool, take it to a shop & have them rivet it for you.

Clip type have a habit of letting you down, I found this washing the bike after a very rocky ride & will not use a clip type again.

Master Link and Front Sprocket Questions Photo-17
Back to top Go down
liftdt4r

liftdt4r

PostSubject: Re: Master Link and Front Sprocket Questions   Master Link and Front Sprocket Questions EmptyMon Jun 23, 2014 8:52 pm

Good deal, thanks guys!!

I'm going to borrow a rivet tool. What is all of the extra stuff on the front sprocket for anyway?
Back to top Go down
4play

4play

PostSubject: Re: Master Link and Front Sprocket Questions   Master Link and Front Sprocket Questions EmptyMon Jun 23, 2014 8:54 pm

To help quiet the chain noise
Back to top Go down
liftdt4r

liftdt4r

PostSubject: Re: Master Link and Front Sprocket Questions   Master Link and Front Sprocket Questions EmptySun Jun 29, 2014 10:21 am

Gotcha, thanks!!

So I attempted to install the rivet master yesterday with a Motion Pro tool I bought. I think I tightened it a little too much. What do you guys think? Take it off and re-install?

Master Link and Front Sprocket Questions 4mROKCi
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: Master Link and Front Sprocket Questions   Master Link and Front Sprocket Questions EmptySun Jun 29, 2014 11:21 am

I would.

The more expensive rivet tools come with a little gauge that you use to measure your progress and peen the ends out the proper amount.
The EK brand rivet tool I've had for about 15 years has this.
Back to top Go down
liftdt4r

liftdt4r

PostSubject: Re: Master Link and Front Sprocket Questions   Master Link and Front Sprocket Questions EmptySun Jun 29, 2014 11:56 am

Thanks for the heads up. I'll try again. I've ran clip style masters for the last 10 years without a failure and moderate riding. Next chain I'm going back to those. These rivet style masters are a pain!!
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: Master Link and Front Sprocket Questions   Master Link and Front Sprocket Questions EmptySun Jun 29, 2014 12:17 pm

I feel the opposite and have been using them on most of my bikes since around 1998.

They're only a pain if you never learn how to do it, just like tying your shoe and keeping your motorcycle upright were a pain until you learned how to do these things.
Back to top Go down
Old Rider

Old Rider

PostSubject: Re: Master Link and Front Sprocket Questions   Master Link and Front Sprocket Questions EmptySun Jun 29, 2014 2:06 pm

Drill that rivet out and get the proper master link for your chain.  In over 40 years of off road riding, none of my friends or myself have ever had a master link failure when installed properly. Removing the rivet is one of the first things we do on a new bike, but then again I replace the factory chains with stuff I like and trust..
Back to top Go down
liftdt4r

liftdt4r

PostSubject: Re: Master Link and Front Sprocket Questions   Master Link and Front Sprocket Questions EmptyThu Jul 03, 2014 5:07 pm

So I took the old link out and I've bought a couple different 520 master rivet links but none seem to work. The first one the pegs were not long enough to rivet even after pressed together and the second one the pegs were too thick to fit through the chain.

I googled RK 520XSO master link and all that comes up are the clip style links.  GAHHHH 

Does anyone know where I can get the proper rivet style or much preferably a clip style master that will fit this chain? I'm about 2 seconds away from trashing the chain and going to a cycle shop to buy a 520 chain with a clip style master. I can't imagine the rivet style chains are worth all this extra fuss.
Back to top Go down
Biglake

PostSubject: Re: Master Link and Front Sprocket Questions   Master Link and Front Sprocket Questions EmptyThu Jul 03, 2014 7:28 pm

You should be able to go to your local dealer and order the right master link for your chain.

I just did this with a used did520vm chain I had lieing around, I put it on a old cheap mx bike I just picked up that needed a chain badly, I went to the dealer and told them what chain I had and they gave me a a rivet link to fit it.

IMO installing rivet links is easy, I use a C clamp thats sharpened to a point on the end to flare the rivet, having a proper tool to do it makes it even easier, the trick is to stop once you can see the rivet mushroom out a tiny bit, it doesnt take much to hold the side plate on, once you see it flare out a hair stop!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Master Link and Front Sprocket Questions   Master Link and Front Sprocket Questions Empty

Back to top Go down

Master Link and Front Sprocket Questions
Page 1 of 1