Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Best Dual Sport Jacket Under $500

Go down 
+7
dmmcd
MjrD
Fiftygrit
martin_nj
johnkol
rsteiger
DWK
11 posters
AuthorMessage
DWK

Best Dual Sport Jacket Under $500 Empty
PostSubject: Best Dual Sport Jacket Under $500   Best Dual Sport Jacket Under $500 EmptyThu Aug 14, 2014 11:39 am

I searched and didn't find a discussion of this.  I've looked at the Revit Sand2 and a couple of the under-$500 Klim jackets.  I live in an area that averages 7 inches of rainfall per year so moisture resistance is secondary for me.  I'm more concerned about protection in a crash and comfort in warmer weather.

Any recommendations?

Thanks for your help.

Dave
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

PostSubject: Re: Best Dual Sport Jacket Under $500   Best Dual Sport Jacket Under $500 EmptyThu Aug 14, 2014 12:12 pm

I have a Klim Jacket that I wore on my COBDR trip which included two solid days of rain and the jacket did very well. Unfortunately, or fortunately depending on your view point, I have not had a serious spill while wearing the jacket so I cannot comment on the level of protection it provides.

Normally if I am going to be challenging myself on a difficult ride and there is a good chance I may be taking a couple of spills I wear my pressure suit:

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/23113/i/fox-racing-titan-sport-jacket

If it the forecast calls for a good period of rain while I am riding I will bring along my rain gear jacket just in case. Most of my experience on day rides has been that the rain is usually a temporary event and I typically don't put on the rain jacket. In some cases I don't even bother to bring it.
Back to top Go down
DWK

PostSubject: Re: Best Dual Sport Jacket Under $500   Best Dual Sport Jacket Under $500 EmptyThu Aug 14, 2014 2:09 pm

Thanks!

I tried on that Fox Titan body armor at a local dealer and thought it was very nice. Up until now I've been wearing the lighter protectors that I have used for mountain biking.

A few folks have commented that they have a slight preference for the Thor armor because it employs a solid chest protector piece with the zipper off to the left. Probably a pretty small issue.

For local streets I've been wearing a Cooper A2 aviator's jacket. It is made of substantial leather and ought to offer decent abrasion resistance. However, it lets cold air in at the neck, has little pocket space, and obviously no venting like the Sand2 and Klim jackets offer. So it will eventually go back to casual wear.

I'm grateful for your advice!

Dave

Back to top Go down
johnkol

PostSubject: Re: Best Dual Sport Jacket Under $500   Best Dual Sport Jacket Under $500 EmptyFri Aug 15, 2014 1:48 am

DWK wrote:
Any recommendations?

Have you looked at webBikeWorld? Excellent and unbiased reviews, and lots of jackets in your price range tested.

Last edited by johnkol on Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
DWK

PostSubject: Re: Best Dual Sport Jacket Under $500   Best Dual Sport Jacket Under $500 EmptyFri Aug 15, 2014 4:17 am

I very much appreciate the link. Those reviews are quite thorough and thoughtful.
Back to top Go down
martin_nj

PostSubject: Re: Best Dual Sport Jacket Under $500   Best Dual Sport Jacket Under $500 EmptyFri Aug 15, 2014 9:34 am

If you haven't tried on stuff yet you'll find that each manufac fits a certain body style better than others.

Olympia, Joe Rocket - good for american shapes, big chest, portly belly, broad shoulders

revvit - very european cut, slim

dianese - very thin petite builds

alpinestar - between olympia and revvit

personally i'm saving up for this jacket > http://www.alpinestars.com/andes-drystarr-jacket#.U-4MkMXWuiY
Back to top Go down
DWK

PostSubject: Re: Best Dual Sport Jacket Under $500   Best Dual Sport Jacket Under $500 EmptyThu Aug 21, 2014 12:15 am

Thanks to Martin and everyone else!

I ended up buying a hi-viz Klim Induction summer jacket for $400. I have not yet tried it while riding the WR250R but even in a short test ride down the road on my mountain bike I could feel the great breathability. The abrasion resistance looks very good and it comes with the reactive type armor at several points. Don't know whether I'll use the waterproof liner, but nice to have along---just in case.

I am six feet tall with 46 chest and 38-40 waist. The XL Klim fits great.

For difficult dirt trails at lower speeds (where asphalt abrasion at 60mph is not the issue), I decided on the Thor body armor for $150. I liked the layout slightly better than the Fox Titan, which I'm sure would also be fine.

Can't ride for a day or two because I took the drivetrain apart to install new sprockets and chain, new Dunlop 606 rear, and a Tubliss setup in the rear. Also one of the nice Scaggs rear racks. I am hoping the gearing change and better rear tire traction will help because after the first few rides I was convinced that I should have bought a 450 dirt bike and added street gear. The stock setup was unsatisfactory on long and difficult hill climbs. Damn glad I didn't consider the Honda and Kawi 250cc dual sport offerings.
Back to top Go down
Fiftygrit

Fiftygrit

PostSubject: Re: Best Dual Sport Jacket Under $500   Best Dual Sport Jacket Under $500 EmptySun Aug 24, 2014 7:02 pm

I have an older Joe rocket 2x large, longer version, has been great for many miles and all kinds of weather, Im 6' 1" and 210, has shoulder elbow and back protection, so far so good I have not needed it, cheer`s
Back to top Go down
DWK

PostSubject: Re: Best Dual Sport Jacket Under $500   Best Dual Sport Jacket Under $500 EmptySun Aug 24, 2014 11:07 pm

I checked out the Joe Rocket offerings and they looked quite nice. We have pretty warm summers in NW Nevada so the ventilation of the mesh Klim attracted me. Thanks for giving us your input on another good garment!

Dave
Back to top Go down
Fiftygrit

Fiftygrit

PostSubject: Re: Best Dual Sport Jacket Under $500   Best Dual Sport Jacket Under $500 EmptyTue Aug 26, 2014 11:53 pm

My joe rocket is like the ballistic revolution, it has zips on the chest, sleeves at the front and one large one in the back, with a T shirt and jacket on I have ridden through eastern Montana at 114 deg. and lived, hahahaha it was hot but tolerable. I also live just below the southern tip of Alaska and let me tell you it rains here, I have not ever felt really ugly in this jacket, anyways, I know how hot it gets in Nevada, maybe you need 2 jackets, cheers
Back to top Go down
DWK

PostSubject: Re: Best Dual Sport Jacket Under $500   Best Dual Sport Jacket Under $500 EmptyFri Aug 29, 2014 5:01 pm

You are right, I'll eventually want a second jacket for cooler times of the year. Perhaps the Sand2, a Joe Rocket or a comparable Klim---once I have recovered from recent purchases!

For the time being, I can use the Klim liner or slide either a Goretex bicycling top or the leather Cooper A2 under the present Klim jacket to resist wind. Makes it a bit more snug, but I'm certain I'll be losing weight soon.... Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
DWK

PostSubject: No Klim Induction Pants, Yet   Best Dual Sport Jacket Under $500 EmptySat Sep 06, 2014 2:18 pm

Just FYI: I contacted Klim and they do not yet offer Induction pants to match the jacket. They say that their Mojave pants do not feature the same extra-heavy-duty "carbonite" mesh Klim developed for the Induction jacket.
Back to top Go down
MjrD

PostSubject: Re: Best Dual Sport Jacket Under $500   Best Dual Sport Jacket Under $500 EmptyTue Sep 16, 2014 6:22 am

Dririder Rally X
Best Dual Sport Jacket Under $500 Amawar10
Best Dual Sport Jacket Under $500 Dri_ri10

$299 Australian dollars.

Ive had mine for 3 years with a few stacks in the bush still going strong
great for summer and winter
Built in armour works a treat
Back to top Go down
dmmcd

dmmcd

PostSubject: Re: Best Dual Sport Jacket Under $500   Best Dual Sport Jacket Under $500 EmptyTue Sep 16, 2014 8:43 am

Just to throw in my two cents, I have a Scorpion XDR and love it for all weather conditions. Has two removable liners, one for water proofing and one for thermal insulation. More pockets than you can ever need, including waterproof pockets. Lots of venting for summer riding, but perfectly warm for winter riding. I got it on sale at my local dealer for 50% off. I think I paid $150 for it. I don't know if they still make or sell them, but it has done me well for the past few years and will likely last many more.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r4/scorpion/xdr-commander-jacket/

Back to top Go down
DWK

PostSubject: Re: Best Dual Sport Jacket Under $500   Best Dual Sport Jacket Under $500 EmptyWed Sep 17, 2014 3:07 am

Both of those look like they have excellent features. Thanks!

Motorcycle Superstore still sells Scorpion products and the consumer ratings were very good.

Dave
Back to top Go down
LordEndo

LordEndo

PostSubject: FirstGear Kathmandu   Best Dual Sport Jacket Under $500 EmptyThu Sep 18, 2014 11:32 am

I just bought a Kathmandu setup from Canada's motorcycle. Their prices are identical to buying new from Ebay stateside and importing to Canada.

I've had a Kilimanjaro before and it was the perfect jacket. That was bought back in '98, I sold it to a friend about 6 years ago, and he's still using the gear daily year 'round.

Back to top Go down
DWK

PostSubject: Re: Best Dual Sport Jacket Under $500   Best Dual Sport Jacket Under $500 EmptyFri Sep 19, 2014 7:18 pm

Good to hear.

Thanks!

Dave
Back to top Go down
4play

4play

PostSubject: Re: Best Dual Sport Jacket Under $500   Best Dual Sport Jacket Under $500 EmptyFri Sep 19, 2014 8:15 pm

I'm surprised no one mentioned First Gear. I have had the Adventure mesh & the Rainier for several years & Have crash tested the Mesh twice.
Great products
Back to top Go down
DWK

PostSubject: Re: Best Dual Sport Jacket Under $500   Best Dual Sport Jacket Under $500 EmptySat Sep 20, 2014 2:34 am

I just checked their jackets on Revzilla and they get very good reviews. Reasonable pricing too.

Thanks for the recommendation!

Dave
Back to top Go down
Fly man

PostSubject: Re: Best Dual Sport Jacket Under $500   Best Dual Sport Jacket Under $500 EmptyMon Apr 13, 2015 2:23 pm

I really like my Kiliminjaro by first gear. If i lost it i would buy the same jacket again.
Back to top Go down
jason meacham

jason meacham

PostSubject: Re: Best Dual Sport Jacket Under $500   Best Dual Sport Jacket Under $500 EmptyFri Jul 15, 2016 1:47 pm

I have an. Olympia jacket. I am very satisfied with it. I paid $275
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Best Dual Sport Jacket Under $500   Best Dual Sport Jacket Under $500 Empty

Back to top Go down

Best Dual Sport Jacket Under $500
Page 1 of 1