Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Trip Musts

Go down 
+3
rsteiger
Hog86r
Endurodude41
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Endurodude41

Trip Musts Empty
PostSubject: Trip Musts   Trip Musts EmptyFri Sep 12, 2014 8:54 pm

What do you guys and gals find as a MUST for a long trip? I plan on riding 2700 mile trip at the start of spring 2015 and was wondering what you see as somethings you would like to take on the trip and what you couldn't do the trip without!

I'll start off by saying, I would bring emergency fuel, as well as an extra battery encase my phone dies.

GO!!
Back to top Go down
Hog86r

Trip Musts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trip Musts   Trip Musts EmptyFri Sep 12, 2014 9:53 pm

what are you travelling in/on?  if wr250r I'd say a more comfy seat would be priority 1.
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

Trip Musts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trip Musts   Trip Musts EmptyFri Sep 12, 2014 10:51 pm

Let me see.. my standard bike stuff:

- Tool kit (including tire changing stuff)
- Flashlight
- Tubes (Generally some old front and rear tubes in decent shape - at the very min a front tube)
- Hand Pump
- Some tube patches
- Rope (maybe 20 foot long - handy stuff)
- At least two cam buckle straps
- Four 'bungee' cords
- Cell phone charger to run of battery SAE connector
- Lighter
- JB Weld (you just never know)
- Tarp (at least 6x8 - sounds strange but I have found these to be very handy and rolled up they can carry stuff and not take up much room.
- GPS Emergency locator and spare batteries (comes in handy when you have no cell service)
- A small collection of spare bolts and fuses (usually carry them in an Altoid can with the tube patches)
- A small bit of 18 Ga wire (can usually wrap around the Altoids can - probably will never need it and probably should stop carrying it)
- Spare glasses or sunglasses (readers if you need them)

Pretty much it. Still need to figure out how to get the PDF Shop manual on my Cell Phone though.
Back to top Go down
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

Trip Musts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trip Musts   Trip Musts EmptySat Sep 13, 2014 12:19 am

Bottle of scotch and my flyfishing stuff?

Could tolerate being broke down for at least a couple of days around here as long as you had that...
Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

Trip Musts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trip Musts   Trip Musts EmptySat Sep 13, 2014 5:09 pm

Scotch >> Remember Remember

Bourbon >> thumb thumb
Back to top Go down
LordEndo

LordEndo

Trip Musts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trip Musts   Trip Musts EmptySat Sep 13, 2014 7:54 pm

I bought a KLR for adventure rides.....
Back to top Go down
Endurodude41

Trip Musts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trip Musts   Trip Musts EmptySat Sep 13, 2014 8:38 pm

What do you bring on trips when you ride your KLR?
Back to top Go down
LordEndo

LordEndo

Trip Musts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trip Musts   Trip Musts EmptySun Sep 14, 2014 12:04 am

We'll, in fact the Klr is a new addition to the stable.  

Tripping on my WRR for the day I use a giant loop mojave with a front tube, stripped down air compressor, rope, tool set, a couple gear clamps, zip ties, a good length of duct tape folded up, jb weld, spot locator, and a leatherman multi tool.

If I'm going overnight I use a giantloop coyote and add my small cook stove, msr bottle w/gas, sleeping bag, Hennessy hammock, pillow, camp chair, cooking gear, fire starter, small hatchet, and a good knife.....
Back to top Go down
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

Trip Musts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trip Musts   Trip Musts EmptyMon Sep 15, 2014 3:19 am

gatorfan wrote:
Scotch >> Remember Remember

Bourbon >> thumb thumb

Funny that I should read that while feting my nose and palate with a glass of Laphraoig in hand.  BTW, the Oban I started with set the mood quite nicely.

I actually have a photo of a bottle of scotch cleverly tucked in with my camping gear (to somewhat stay on topic) somewhere; perhaps I should post it.  But I do digress; anyways:

Bourbon is made by people who couldn't figure out how to make decent scotch.  The Scots/Irish tried to show them how, but gave up when they kept starting out with a bunch of left over livestock feed - corn. And to make matters worse, were so impatient they insisted on using new barrels to age it in.  

200 years later, they still haven't figured it out.  It shows...

How the hell can you argue with anything that has a smokey flavour?  I mean... who doesn't like BBQ?

A US special forces guy treated me to a drink of Pappy Van Winkle, Rip van Winkle, whatever, bourbon many years ago at Jump Bivouac.  Hideously expensive, I was told.  The ultimate bourbon, I was assured.  I was less than impressed.  But, being as he was about as deep as he was wide and high, I told him it was fantastic.  You, I suspect, ain't that big.

Where are we meeting when you stumble out of the bush at Glacier, again?  Forget about the Great Northern Bar and Grill you were talking about - look kitty corner across the street for the Great Northern Brewing Company.  Nothing like a fine beer a few feet from where it was birthed...

Ahhhh... back on topic:

I think this is a question like "which is the best oil?" (quick, run away! run away!)

Depends on how you like to camp, where you are, etc.  Somebody riding in the desert is going to have a very different list than somebody riding up here on the Continental Divide.  

Example: you mention bringing an extra battery in case your phone dies. Around here, don't worry about it: once you lose sight of town, you're out of the coverage area anyways. Might as well leave the phone at home.

I think tire changing shyte is a no brainer must have. A basic tool kit. Zip ties, JB weld, and gun tape.  A way to pack your shyte (I'm a Giant Loop type...)  After that, it gets interesting.  Example: some adventure rider types make no apologies for spending as many nights as possible in motels.  Others, like me, can't be bothered with hotels, and most places I am at as the sun goes down there ain't a hotel/motel within 50 miles anyways.  So the first bunch don't hardly care about the sleeping arrangements - me, I care a lot.

Want to break it down further?  Too many years in the military, and I can practically sleep in a water filled ditch, as long as I have a ranger blanket and a bivvy bag.  Travel light, freeze at night.  Other guys have an amazingly crafted combination of shelters, sleeping pads, hammocks, whatever.

I don't know how to begin answering the question other than to advise anyone to figure it out for themselves.  Sleeping on your lawn, a few feet away from the door of the house and the cuddly wife not much further beyond that is a great way to experiment.  If you find your awesome new sleeping bag has you freezing your ass off while sleeping beside the wife's petunia's at 4000 feet on a June night, chances are you are going to find yourself freezing your ass off sleeping next to your bike in a borrow pit beside a forestry road 6000 feet ASL on another June night.  Except, you  won't be able to get up, mutter "shyte", stick your feet in your slippers, stomp into the house, and curl up next to the wifey for warmth...

Seriously, if you don't have other experience to lean on (i.e. backpacking), try the stuff out at home first, where bailing out just takes a few seconds.  I still do that with new gear.
Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

Trip Musts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trip Musts   Trip Musts EmptyMon Sep 15, 2014 8:59 pm

Jager, you're on a roll ... or some of that hoity toity scotch you Yankees are so fond of.

OP, weight and space will be factors in your planning. Take a look at this website >> Backpacking Light. Now, you don't need to count grams like these guys do but there are some excellent articles on fabrics, gear, do it yourself stuff, packing tips etc.  The forums are free.  Some of the stuff is behind a modest pay wall.

I knocked 9 pounds off my pack after following the forums there for a few months. Unlike Jager, I can't run around the woods with 60 lbs of camera gear in my pack. It's 30 lbs of gear plus a liter of Jim Beam's finest.  thumb

Apologies to OP.

Jager, we're popping out of the park on 9/25 (proly late), staying at a cabin 3mi. from Polebridge. Northern Lights Saloon will be closed so were planning on hitting Home Ranch Bottoms right near Polebridge. Whitefish is too far. Gonna fish the Flathead on way back to Kalispell on 9/26.

We're still looking to bum a ride from Bowman Trailhead to Kintia Trailhead on morning of 9/20.  There's got to be a teenager looking for a quick $80.
Back to top Go down
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

Trip Musts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trip Musts   Trip Musts EmptyTue Sep 16, 2014 3:22 am

gatorfan wrote:
Jager, you're on a roll ... or some of that hoity toity scotch you Yankees are so fond of.

"you Yankees" does not apply out here in the Rockies... particularly to somebody born and raised in those Rockies.  The really northern ones...

Quote :
Jager, we're popping out of the park on 9/25 (proly late), staying at a cabin 3mi. from Polebridge. Northern Lights Saloon will be closed so were planning on hitting Home Ranch Bottoms right near Polebridge. Whitefish is too far. Gonna fish the Flathead on way back to Kalispell on 9/26.

We're still looking to bum a ride from Bowman Trailhead to Kintia Trailhead on morning of 9/20.  There's got to be a teenager looking for a quick $80.

Outside chance I can give you that ride, but I think I'm probably elk hunting as the wife has surgery on the 21st.

Advertise in Craigslist for the driver, or in the Mountain Trader buy and sell.  My buds with kids couldn't find a teenager who wanted to do the trip for you.

I Have never wandered into the Home Ranch Bottoms place you're talking about, so can't say much about it.

Foam red ants and parachute split wing Adams are killing the cutties right now.
Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

Trip Musts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trip Musts   Trip Musts EmptyTue Sep 16, 2014 5:55 pm

Thanks Jager and best of luck to the Mrs.

Back to top Go down
Tewster2

Trip Musts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trip Musts   Trip Musts EmptySun Dec 14, 2014 4:02 pm

I always take a reliable firearm Very happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Trip Musts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trip Musts   Trip Musts Empty

Back to top Go down

Trip Musts
Page 1 of 1