Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

A step in the right direction....

Go down 
+9
zrider
BluePill
motokid
greer
Jäger
X-Racer
ZED
YZEtc
lukachuki
13 posters
AuthorMessage
lukachuki

A step in the right direction.... Empty
PostSubject: A step in the right direction....   A step in the right direction.... EmptyThu Sep 24, 2009 11:00 pm

Well I saw my first real r2 today. I was in the stealership getting a blinker for my vstrom and thought I would check to see if they had any in stock. Well low and behold they had a 08 model sitting there just waiting for an owner. My biggest complaint about the looks of the bike both on the web and live is the IMHO the ugly pipe guard thingy. What kind of mods are guys doing to beautify the heat sheild? I was surprised as well how tall this bike looks. I didn't sit on it but it definitely was up there in the same range as my old xr650's. Not a problem for me as i'm mediumely tall but just an observation.

Another thing that is surprising to me is that this bike is not that light for its displacement. In looking online it is about the same listed weight (270ish) as my old xr650r's which we affectionately called pig's. Does this bike carry it's weight low and still retain the nimbleness you would expect from a 250 class motorcycle?

Anyway i'm not put off.....just surprised. I still want one!
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: A step in the right direction....   A step in the right direction.... EmptyThu Sep 24, 2009 11:13 pm

I improved the looks of my muffler by repacing it altogether with an FMF Q4 muffler and Powerbomb headpipe. :)

The bike is tall, although the ride hight is adjustable with the lower shock clevis and sliding the fork tubes up in the triple clamps.
This drops seat height nearly an inch.

The bike is heavy compared to 250cc off-road-only bikes, but compared to other street-legal dual-purpose bikes, it's right up there with the rest of them.
They all have EPA and DOT gadgets stuck on them to satisfy somebody. :)
The bike doesn't feel hard to handle off-road at all.
Back to top Go down
lukachuki

PostSubject: Re: A step in the right direction....   A step in the right direction.... EmptyThu Sep 24, 2009 11:56 pm

YZEtc wrote:
I improved the looks of my muffler by repacing it altogether with an FMF Q4 muffler and Powerbomb headpipe. :)

The bike is tall, although the ride hight is adjustable with the lower shock clevis and sliding the fork tubes up in the triple clamps.
This drops seat height nearly an inch.

The bike is heavy compared to 250cc off-road-only bikes, but compared to other street-legal dual-purpose bikes, it's right up there with the rest of them.
They all have EPA and DOT gadgets stuck on them to satisfy somebody. :)
The bike doesn't feel hard to handle off-road at all.

Yeah the aftermarket mufflers are a big improvement over the stock setup aesthetically.

Thanks for the reply....
Back to top Go down
ZED

ZED

PostSubject: Re: A step in the right direction....   A step in the right direction.... EmptyFri Sep 25, 2009 12:29 am

Most folks that don't like the stock muffler gurad replace it with an FMF Q4. Very happy

As for it's weight and nimbleness; no it's not a true "dirt bike", but it handles extremely well. I've done trails on my X (with my Conti SM tires and 17" wheels) that would have been technical challenging on a Mountain bike. Oh, and I used to race mountain bikes. So, I wouldn't worry about the weight. To me it carries it OK. thumb
Back to top Go down
lukachuki

PostSubject: Re: A step in the right direction....   A step in the right direction.... EmptyFri Sep 25, 2009 12:55 am

ZED wrote:
Most folks that don't like the stock muffler gurad replace it with an FMF Q4. Very happy

As for it's weight and nimbleness; no it's not a true "dirt bike", but it handles extremely well. I've done trails on my X (with my Conti SM tires and 17" wheels) that would have been technical challenging on a Mountain bike. Oh, and I used to race mountain bikes. So, I wouldn't worry about the weight. To me it carries it OK. thumb

Coming from a KLR this thing is a flyweight indeed! My dad had a KLR for quite awhile and though a bike with an incredibly loyal following I never really got the mystique. Being a barebones kind of guy I loved my xr650r's dual sported so much more....but that was just me. I know they are trusty steeds.
Back to top Go down
X-Racer

X-Racer

PostSubject: Re: A step in the right direction....   A step in the right direction.... EmptyFri Sep 25, 2009 1:59 am

If you are looking for an esthetically pleasing bike, simply go buy a bike for it's looks.

I would suggest that you grab a bike by the handlebars, point it in the direction of choice and judge it by it's ability to go through where you expect it to go and meet your expectations.

The result will either be appreciation, or disappointment, or something in-between. Rider's choice.

My opinion: Never judge a bike by the looks of it's muffler.
Back to top Go down
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

PostSubject: Re: A step in the right direction....   A step in the right direction.... EmptyFri Sep 25, 2009 3:36 am

lukachuki wrote:
My biggest complaint about the looks of the bike both on the web and live is the IMHO the ugly pipe guard thingy.
Maybe I'm not agile enough.

I have to confess I can't see "the ugly pipe guard thingy" when I'm riding. Come to think of it, I don't even see the instrument cluster much - mostly I just look where the bike is pointed.

The idea of looks never occurred to me.

Except that I'd kill for the old Yamaha bumblebee paint job, though...
Back to top Go down
greer

PostSubject: Re: A step in the right direction....   A step in the right direction.... EmptyFri Sep 25, 2009 5:13 am

I've read some folks paint the heat shield black and like the looks much better.

Sarah
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: A step in the right direction....   A step in the right direction.... EmptyFri Sep 25, 2009 5:45 am

click here

The search feature here works quite well. A step in the right direction.... 61865

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: A step in the right direction....   A step in the right direction.... EmptyFri Sep 25, 2009 6:43 am

Jäger wrote:

A step in the right direction.... Sumo-1

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
lukachuki

PostSubject: Re: A step in the right direction....   A step in the right direction.... EmptyFri Sep 25, 2009 8:55 am

X-Racer wrote:
If you are looking for an esthetically pleasing bike, simply go buy a bike for it's looks.

I would suggest that you grab a bike by the handlebars, point it in the direction of choice and judge it by it's ability to go through where you expect it to go and meet your expectations.

The result will either be appreciation, or disappointment, or something in-between. Rider's choice.

My opinion: Never judge a bike by the looks of it's muffler.

Your right of course! I do own a vstrom which aint the most beautiful bike on the road, and I'm not being critical of the WRR I'm just noting my first thoughts upon seeing one of these critters. As I've said I am still on the path to purchasing a wr2. I have a soft spot for little yamah enduro. My first bike was a little purple yamaha enduro 100 which i wish i still had. I bought it for 50 bucks and rode it for years and years and years.

Anyway thanks for the comments people....
Back to top Go down
lukachuki

PostSubject: Re: A step in the right direction....   A step in the right direction.... EmptyFri Sep 25, 2009 9:01 am

motokid wrote:
click here

The search feature here works quite well. A step in the right direction.... 61865

Yep a big improvement as far as the pipe goes. I have to confess that I have been a good boy and done countless of hours reading on the wrr and for the most part know the answers to my questions. My intial post was just to fire up a little conversation so sorry for misleading everyone.
Back to top Go down
BluePill

BluePill

PostSubject: Re: A step in the right direction....   A step in the right direction.... EmptyFri Sep 25, 2009 7:04 pm

motokid wrote:
Jäger wrote:

That is one sweet 'tard. Just wonder how it would look with lights, reflectors, and a plate? That side number plate may be the right answer for our ugly muffler shield.
Back to top Go down
zrider

zrider

PostSubject: YELLOW!   A step in the right direction.... EmptyFri Sep 25, 2009 9:33 pm

motokid wrote:
Jäger wrote:

Now that is what a Yamaha is supposed to look like! This blue crap sucks!
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: A step in the right direction....   A step in the right direction.... EmptyFri Sep 25, 2009 9:37 pm

zrider wrote:
motokid wrote:
Jäger wrote:

Amen. A step in the right direction.... 204616 A step in the right direction.... 61865 A step in the right direction.... 93746

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
inspector

inspector

PostSubject: Re: A step in the right direction....   A step in the right direction.... EmptySat Sep 26, 2009 10:14 am

motokid wrote:
zrider wrote:
motokid wrote:
Jäger wrote:

Amen. A step in the right direction.... 204616 A step in the right direction.... 61865 A step in the right direction.... 93746
i wanted to quote the pic too. A little bit to be like everyone else, but mostly because that is frikken sweet lookin
Back to top Go down
wildmotha

wildmotha

PostSubject: Re: A step in the right direction....   A step in the right direction.... EmptySun Sep 27, 2009 1:21 am

motokid wrote:
Jäger wrote:

Can we get a trophy chick posing next to that??? thap...thap...thap...thap...thap
Back to top Go down
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

PostSubject: Re: A step in the right direction....   A step in the right direction.... EmptyMon Sep 28, 2009 12:44 am

inspector wrote:

i wanted to quote the pic too. A little bit to be like everyone else, but mostly because that is frikken sweet lookin
Actually, I want the bumblebee look, but I don't find that one sweet looking. Somebody posted a pic of a limited edition WRR from Japan or somesuch at some point in the ADV thread. That one I liked - looked right from the past. This one here is too cluttered looking. Nice simple clean graphics, that's what I like.

Almost makes me want to go find the other pic to compare the two.
Back to top Go down
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

PostSubject: Re: A step in the right direction....   A step in the right direction.... EmptyMon Sep 28, 2009 1:00 am

This ain't a bike...

Now this is a bike!

A step in the right direction.... Yellowwr250r

Not the picture I was looking for... but it will do. Clean.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: A step in the right direction....   A step in the right direction.... EmptyMon Sep 28, 2009 1:21 am

thumb

SpiritWolf15

PostSubject: Re: A step in the right direction....   A step in the right direction.... EmptyMon Sep 28, 2009 2:45 am

I like that yellow.... Very happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A step in the right direction....   A step in the right direction.... Empty

Back to top Go down

A step in the right direction....
Page 1 of 1