Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

single track setup

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
wrrOH

single track setup Empty
PostSubject: single track setup   single track setup EmptyThu Nov 06, 2014 8:57 pm

Any recommendations for a single track setup? I'm 6ft 6in tall at 234lb with all my gear, my wr is only two months old and its my first bike, I recently adjusted my sag and that made a huge difference even though my sag is still over 3 inches and the adjustment nut is turned clockwise as far as it'll go, currently all my other adjustments are set to the stiffest values. Is this the best thing to do for handling on my bike considering my size or is there a better universal setup like having less compression and more rebound or vise versa? or is it all trial and error? dunno scratch
Back to top Go down
martin_nj

single track setup Empty
PostSubject: Re: single track setup   single track setup EmptyThu Nov 06, 2014 9:20 pm

You'll need to upgrade your springs.
Back to top Go down
wrrOH

single track setup Empty
PostSubject: Re: single track setup   single track setup EmptyFri Nov 07, 2014 10:45 am

The budget wont allow for that until spring at least so how can i get the most out of what I have?
Back to top Go down
martin_nj

single track setup Empty
PostSubject: Re: single track setup   single track setup EmptyFri Nov 07, 2014 10:57 am

there's a thread about a guy cutting his front fork springs thumb

for the rear you'll need to drop the $$ on a spring.
Back to top Go down
TKO

TKO

single track setup Empty
PostSubject: Re: single track setup   single track setup EmptyFri Nov 07, 2014 11:19 am

wrrOH wrote:
The budget wont allow for that until spring at least so how can i get the most out of what I have?

We weigh about the same:

Increase the rebound damping on the shock to max.

After that, take a ride and adjust forks to taste/riding style.
Back to top Go down
wrrOH

single track setup Empty
PostSubject: Re: single track setup   single track setup EmptyFri Nov 07, 2014 1:13 pm

Alright, thanks TKO i'll try that this weekend. Almost bought a new rear spring the other day but i'm not very mechanically inclined aside from regular maintenance so I decided to hold off on that.
Back to top Go down

single track setup Empty
PostSubject: Re: single track setup   single track setup EmptyFri Nov 07, 2014 3:31 pm

wrrOH wrote:
Any recommendations for a single track setup? I'm 6ft 6in tall at 234lb with all my gear, my wr is only two months old and its my first bike, I recently adjusted my sag and that made a huge difference even though my sag is still over 3 inches and the adjustment nut is turned clockwise as far as it'll go, currently all my other adjustments are set to the stiffest values. Is this the best thing to do for handling on my bike considering my size or is there a better universal setup like having less compression and more rebound or vise versa? or is it all trial and error? dunno scratch

I weigh about 240, with stock springs and oil. I've got rear rebound damping about 1 turn out from full stiff. I don't think you want to run it all the way in or the shock can't function(?) The rear compression is almost fully stiff. At the front, I am somewhere midrange on both compression and rebound. I had more rebound damping, but felt like the front end was washing out, so I reduced it.

Overall it works OK for dualsport but for single track I have to go slow over the rough stuff, and I can't really jump logs or big rocks (I've tried and it hurt).

The other thing that helps for single track is running really low tire pressure - smooths out a bit of the trail junk.

The other thing that really helped is some bar risers and fat CR HI handlebars.
Back to top Go down
wrrOH

single track setup Empty
PostSubject: Re: single track setup   single track setup EmptyFri Nov 07, 2014 7:09 pm

Thank you so much dhally, haven't tried that either but I certainly will this weekend, I already have pro taper atv high bars because of my height and while I do like how they feel they were def the biggest mistake of my motorcycling life thus far bec none of the cables quite fit where they're suppose to go, esp the clutch cable, way too short but it still works ergonomically even though it's not exactly where it should be. I experimented with low tire pressure when my trail wings wore down to about ten percent and I ended up shredding the tube lol
Back to top Go down
Biglake

single track setup Empty
PostSubject: Re: single track setup   single track setup EmptyFri Nov 07, 2014 10:06 pm

I wouldnt put a stiffer spring on the shock without revalving it first.

It will make the rebound even faster and kick and buck even worse.

1/2 of my ridng is like single track.

When I had stock suspension, I ran a bit of extra sag with the rebound clicker on full stiff (3 out is max) and the compression almost on full stiff on the rear shock. The front was 5 out on compression and 10 out on rebound.

Running less preload for more than ideal sag helps slow the rebound a bit too which is too fast even on full stiff/slow stock, plus the bikes a bit too tall in the rear and doing this levels it out IMO.
Back to top Go down

single track setup Empty
PostSubject: Re: single track setup   single track setup EmptyMon Nov 10, 2014 1:39 pm

Biglake wrote:
I wouldnt put a stiffer spring on the shock without revalving it first.

It will make the rebound even faster and kick and buck even worse.

1/2 of my ridng is like single track.

When I had stock suspension, I ran a bit of extra sag with the rebound clicker on full stiff (3 out is max) and the compression almost on full stiff on the rear shock. The front was 5 out on compression and 10 out on rebound.

Running less preload for more than ideal sag helps slow the rebound a bit too which is too fast even on full stiff/slow stock, plus the bikes a bit too tall in the rear and doing this levels it out IMO.

I agree - I also dialed in excess rear sag to try to stop the back end kicking over square edged bumps. Makes like a pogo stick over whoops.

(I have found a complete solution to the single track issue - my new Sherco 300i with WP suspension... Rather a drastic fix, but it works very well.)
Back to top Go down
wrrOH

single track setup Empty
PostSubject: Re: single track setup   single track setup EmptyTue Nov 11, 2014 1:05 pm

I ended up being happiest with a setup close to what biglake has, rear is full stiff. Front forks I have max stiffness on rebound but the compression is in the mid range, thanks for all the advice everyone! thumb
Back to top Go down
paulie1960

single track setup Empty
PostSubject: Re: single track setup   single track setup EmptyWed Jun 24, 2015 4:33 pm

wrrOH wrote:

I ride a lot of single track and race c-ssr hare scramble south jersey alot sand, Im 5' 10" 225lb full gear and run stock suspension and springs best setup, lower rear shock 5/8", rear race sag 3 3/4" - 4", rear static sag 1", rebound 5 click out, front forks, put a 4mm preload spacer, 115mm oil level, raised forks 7/16" in tripleclamp, front race sag 2", static sag 1", rebound 10 clicks out, stock bars raised 3/4", compression I adjust to the track soft until it just bottoms out then +1 extra click out harder. Im running right now bridgestone x30 80/100 front and kenda k760 rear 110/100 and running +1" extra wheel base 110 links 13 teeth front 45 teeth rear.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

single track setup Empty
PostSubject: Re: single track setup   single track setup Empty

Back to top Go down

single track setup
Page 1 of 1