Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

New to forum, close to purchasing

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
doc_simple

doc_simple

New to forum, close to purchasing Empty
PostSubject: New to forum, close to purchasing   New to forum, close to purchasing EmptySat Dec 13, 2014 10:48 pm

Hi y'all. I'm doc_simple and I have been lurking here for a bit and reading every article I could find on the wr250r. I am slipping into gear for the purchase this week.

I came from an FZ6 to a v strom dl650 because I wante dto start on riding dirt. It does it and i have taken it some absolutely insane places. But its not really the right tool for the job. After reading every review on every dual sport and deciding I can't drop 10+ grand on another bike I started looking at the wr. I have not been on a dirt bike in 30 years and I am 45 now so I dont see me going crazy jumping canyons but I'd like to be able to get over logs on the single track.

I ride most in Mt Hood national wilderness (Oregon) but with the addition of this I will be checking more OHV areas.

Not sure this is the right spot but found a 2013 new on the showroom for $5700. Seems like a decent deal, any input? I can't see spending the extra 1.1K for the 2105, not to worried about resale.

thanks and nice to be here Very happy

doc_simple
Back to top Go down
Biglake

PostSubject: Re: New to forum, close to purchasing   New to forum, close to purchasing EmptySun Dec 14, 2014 12:58 pm

Welcome thumb

I'd go with the cheaper left over WRR as its the same as a 2015.

I do some pretty nasty offroading on mine, the bikes more than capable just a touch heavier and slower than off road race bikes, for trail riding and some back road cruising it works great. Very happy
Back to top Go down
Evol

Evol

PostSubject: Re: New to forum, close to purchasing   New to forum, close to purchasing EmptySun Dec 14, 2014 2:20 pm

Biglake wrote:
I'd go with the cheaper left over WRR as its the same as a 2015.

+1

I would also go for the "older" and cheaper bike. It has not changed, other than graphics. Or you could look at the used market, but $5700 for a brand new bike is pretty good IMHO.

I've done some fun and aggressive offroading on my WRX. These are very capable bikes, even if they are "light" on power. They feel lighter than their weight. thumb
Back to top Go down
doc_simple

doc_simple

PostSubject: Re: New to forum, close to purchasing   New to forum, close to purchasing EmptySun Dec 14, 2014 2:48 pm

thanks guys, the deal is at a dealer about 60 miles away so I pinged the one that is 10 miles away to see if they will match it. They have one at 6k, also a 2013. Sadly no dealerships here are open on Sunday, and this one is closed on Monday so I must (im)patiently wait for their response. If they wont do it I will just call the other dealer and make the deal. I saw 2008's that people were asking 4k for so this seems very reasonable.
Back to top Go down
Evol

Evol

PostSubject: Re: New to forum, close to purchasing   New to forum, close to purchasing EmptySun Dec 14, 2014 3:26 pm

The used market depends on where you are located (supply & demand), and what mods are done.

For example, I have about $2k in mods and that doesn't include a big bore kit or turbo...
Back to top Go down
doc_simple

doc_simple

PostSubject: Re: New to forum, close to purchasing   New to forum, close to purchasing EmptySun Dec 14, 2014 4:22 pm

Evol, I know how it is. I have 2-3k in aftermarket on my v Strom. When we go to sell those no one cares but it might be different in this market. I figure with a brand new bike I will slowly add that aftermarket goodness and I will get to choose what I want. I was looking pretty hard at the front end swap for the wrf forks. I don't know why Yamaha doesn't do a bike like this better. I had an fz6 which is on their low end but I switched the forks for ones from an r6 and it was damn near perfect. I have been looking for a complete rear shock that I could buy straight out for the wrr but all I can find is rebuild kits or services. I'm definitely not used to that!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New to forum, close to purchasing   New to forum, close to purchasing EmptyMon Dec 15, 2014 2:18 pm

If know what farkles you want, it can be a lot more cost effective to buy a pre-farkled used bike. They do come up, just need to have some patience. I doubt if you will find one with 250F forks, but you might find one that has had the suspension professionally tuned.
Back to top Go down
doc_simple

doc_simple

PostSubject: Re: New to forum, close to purchasing   New to forum, close to purchasing EmptyMon Dec 15, 2014 4:49 pm

Thanks dhally. I have the same issue I always have - I have credit not cash. In this case Yamaha credit. Allows me to pay off the bike over time. I usually do it quick. I'm good at paying bills, not so good at saving. I'm also fine with doing the work myself, o just wish there was am easier solution for the rear shock.
Back to top Go down
doc_simple

doc_simple

PostSubject: Re: New to forum, close to purchasing   New to forum, close to purchasing EmptyTue Dec 16, 2014 8:34 pm

New to forum, close to purchasing Wp_20110

so cold out, needs more mud.....
Back to top Go down
Evol

Evol

PostSubject: Re: New to forum, close to purchasing   New to forum, close to purchasing EmptyTue Dec 16, 2014 8:50 pm

Congrats !!! thumb
Back to top Go down
Trev

PostSubject: Re: New to forum, close to purchasing   New to forum, close to purchasing EmptyFri Dec 19, 2014 5:10 pm

Doc,

Looks like you made your purchase? I was going to let you know that I bought my brand new '14 at a dealer in Oregon (Power in Sublimity) and made the 6 hour road trip from way north in Washington State because they were so easy to deal with. Took ten minutes to buy the bike and had the out-the-door price ($5900) agreed on via email. That was in September for my '14 bike. I have already added lots of things with plans for some more as I can afford it, but I love the bike and was very happy with the dealer.
Back to top Go down
dfoustou

PostSubject: Re: New to forum, close to purchasing   New to forum, close to purchasing EmptyFri Dec 19, 2014 11:55 pm

Trev wrote:
Doc,

Looks like you made your purchase?  I was going to let you know that I bought my brand new '14 at a dealer in Oregon (Power in Sublimity) and made the 6 hour road trip from way north in Washington State because they were so easy to deal with.  Took ten minutes to buy the bike and had the out-the-door price ($5900) agreed on via email.  That was in September for my '14 bike.  I have already added lots of things with plans for some more as I can afford it, but I love the bike and was very happy with the dealer.

is this the dealer?

Power Motorsports
333 SW Sublimity Blvd
Sublimity, OR 97385

I am looking for an 2014 RC8R they have.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New to forum, close to purchasing   New to forum, close to purchasing Empty

Back to top Go down

New to forum, close to purchasing
Page 1 of 1