Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Too many options - what's the best change to the forks?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
doc_simple

doc_simple

Too many options - what's the best change to the forks? Empty
PostSubject: Too many options - what's the best change to the forks?   Too many options - what's the best change to the forks? EmptySun Jan 11, 2015 4:06 am

I recently bought a 2013 and have been reading much about the lack of suspension on the bike. I have not stretched the bike at all yet and I'm just moving from a V Strom to the WR so I can't tell what's not right yet. I still have the strom in the garage but I have been only riding the WR for the last month bow

I am waffling between upgrading the stock forks or wr250/450f from 2000-2003. It looks like they all run about $3-400 to do. Here are the advantages I see from reading online, please let me know if I'm off here:

1. Race Tech valves/springs: These seem like a lot of work for "some" improvement. Only improves compression, rebound is not available?

2. WR250F forks: Improvement all around, straight bolt on.

3. WR450F forks: Mo better than the wr250f forks? Needs some adapter work for brakes and shims. Also need different front tire (rim). Worth the extra parts and labor over the 250f forks?

Any pointers greatly appreciated, I can't tell if it's worth doing the Racetech stuff at all based on what I'm reading.

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
speersie

speersie

PostSubject: Re: Too many options - what's the best change to the forks?   Too many options - what's the best change to the forks? EmptySun Jan 11, 2015 5:13 am

4play is probably the man you want to speak to. He has done it.
Check out the bottom of this post.
https://wr250rforum.forumotion.com/t10263-03-yz450f-forks-on-a-wr250r-is-this-possible
Back to top Go down
doc_simple

doc_simple

PostSubject: Re: Too many options - what's the best change to the forks?   Too many options - what's the best change to the forks? EmptySun Jan 11, 2015 7:41 am

I have read all that. They are all helpful but is the place I learned of three relatively easy options, each one is said to be worth-it. But which is the most worth it? I want the rabid, foaming at the mouth apostles to tell me "MY WAY IS BEST"

"DO THIS AND ALL YOUR DUALSPORT DREAMS WILL COME TRUE"

lol, sorry its late and i need to amuse myself. But seriously, I would love to get someone to say: I used this route, I am happy, I would buy it again. Here's why?
Back to top Go down
4play

4play

PostSubject: Re: Too many options - what's the best change to the forks?   Too many options - what's the best change to the forks? EmptySun Jan 11, 2015 9:36 am

IMHO if you haven't found the limitations of the stock forks for yourself, leave them alone until you do.

Most of the people complaining about the stock forks are comparing our "Foo Foo" bikes to a Motocross bike & that was never it's intended purpose. The front suspension is actually better than the rear in stock form, so be prepared to upgrade both. Go Race has an excellent reputation for making the suspension work. Fitting the proper springs for your weight & subsequent revalving is a huge improvement over stock. My local guy went through three iterations on my rear shock before I was happy, after getting the rear right I was no longer content with the reworked front YMMV.

If you decide you ride past the limitations of the modified stock forks, the WR/YZ from I believe '00 to '04 will slide right into our stock triple clamps. The difference between the YZ/WR/250/450 is valving & what spring comes in them. If you are going to the trouble of swapping & depending on your weight I would assume you would be changing the spring & the valving anyway so it really does not matter which forks you get.
If you use a YZ front wheel & axle you do not need custom spacers, the wheel bolts on & so does the stock brake caliper. Because these forks use a different fork guard & brake line routing the easiest thing to do is use that year model brake line & hardware.

Be aware you'll raise the already tall bike by ~1"
Back to top Go down
doc_simple

doc_simple

PostSubject: Re: Too many options - what's the best change to the forks?   Too many options - what's the best change to the forks? EmptySun Jan 11, 2015 2:46 pm

thanks 4play. I have already put on the Yamalink and lowered the stock shock. This would affect the rear, I have the front forks lifted in the forks 5/8" so putting on another set of shocks on the front could screw with the ergo's?

I think I might start with a shock rebuild first. Probably pick up a used one and do the rebuild myself. The walk through on that looks easier than the re-valve on the front! Tons of shops in town so I could get the nitrogen injected pretty easily.

One last question:
Are the 2003 yz250 forks functionally equivalent to the wr250's?
Back to top Go down
4play

4play

PostSubject: Re: Too many options - what's the best change to the forks?   Too many options - what's the best change to the forks? EmptySun Jan 11, 2015 5:24 pm

Which WR250? the R or an F?

The WRR forks are WRR only, the WRF & YZ forks of the same diameter interchange with each other
Back to top Go down
doc_simple

doc_simple

PostSubject: Re: Too many options - what's the best change to the forks?   Too many options - what's the best change to the forks? EmptySun Jan 11, 2015 6:53 pm

the f and the yz. The reason I ask is wr250f forks are more rare and more expensive than yz250 forks. If they are the same I just need the forks (yz or wf), axle (xy or wf) and yz wheel to make it work, yes?

4play wrote:
Which WR250? the R or an F?

The WRR forks are WRR only, the WRF & YZ forks of the same diameter interchange with each other
Back to top Go down
4play

4play

PostSubject: Re: Too many options - what's the best change to the forks?   Too many options - what's the best change to the forks? EmptySun Jan 11, 2015 9:23 pm

If they are the same diameter then yes, I don't know what year they started or ended this size forks on the YZ
Back to top Go down
doc_simple

doc_simple

PostSubject: Re: Too many options - what's the best change to the forks?   Too many options - what's the best change to the forks? EmptySun Jan 11, 2015 10:03 pm

thanks much for the help. I found a 2003 YZ250F fork set and they are 46mm KYBs like the WR250F of the same year. Looks like they are even the same spring rate. Found something else to buy next payday droooool
Back to top Go down
ChainDrive

ChainDrive

PostSubject: Another Solution   Too many options - what's the best change to the forks? EmptySat Jan 24, 2015 6:52 pm

http://go-race.com/yamaha-wr-suspension/
Check out their site
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Too many options - what's the best change to the forks?   Too many options - what's the best change to the forks? Empty

Back to top Go down

Too many options - what's the best change to the forks?
Page 1 of 1