Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Best gear combo for MT43's?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
dogshmog

Best gear combo for MT43's? Empty
PostSubject: Best gear combo for MT43's?   Best gear combo for MT43's? EmptySun Jan 18, 2015 5:27 pm

I have an R model, and want to upgrade my tires to the MT43s when the factory tires are gone. I'm also wanting to lower my gearing. I am looking for an ~85mph TOP speed and cruise at 70 if I need to, want a fun bike that is easy to pop the front wheel over obstacles, but also don't want to be super low for the street. What does everyone recommend? If I was sticking to the OEM tires, I'd probably go 13/47. It's hard to get an idea from the other posts, because of the variables such as X/R model, what tires they use etc. I live in Alabama and Texas, so most of the terrain will be flat(ish), but also want to be able to climb and rip still.

FWIW, the 13/43 OEM ratio seems too tall when the going gets slow in 1st and 2nd, and 6th gear, while usable, isn't terribly great for much of anything.
Back to top Go down
mcdoudlehopper

mcdoudlehopper

PostSubject: Re: Best gear combo for MT43's?   Best gear combo for MT43's? EmptySun Jan 18, 2015 5:36 pm

Im running the 13 - 47 on my R with a Dunlop-606 and love it. I would get rid of the stock Battle-Wings as soon as possible! They are horrible if you want to go off road and frightening in the sand. Tires are cheap you cant go wrong, then keep the stocker with a little tread left for emergency back up in case of total tire failure.
Back to top Go down
4play

4play

PostSubject: Re: Best gear combo for MT43's?   Best gear combo for MT43's? EmptySun Jan 18, 2015 6:53 pm

I run 14/49 with an MT43 & I like it. I can do gnarly single track & cruise 70 all day.
Back to top Go down
Biglake

PostSubject: Re: Best gear combo for MT43's?   Best gear combo for MT43's? EmptyTue Jan 20, 2015 9:07 pm

If you like 13-47 with stock tires, get 13-49 for the taller mt43 to end up with close to the same ratio.

I ran 13-50 with a tall mt16, its about the same height as the mt43 and it worked well but I'd go 13-49 next time. I've since started running shorter near stock height tires and like 13-48 or 14-50 (which is what I have right now) with them.
Back to top Go down
TKO

TKO

PostSubject: Re: Best gear combo for MT43's?   Best gear combo for MT43's? EmptyThu Jan 22, 2015 8:47 pm

14/50 for me. thumb
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Best gear combo for MT43's?   Best gear combo for MT43's? Empty

Back to top Go down

Best gear combo for MT43's?
Page 1 of 1