Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Should I Use Rim Locks

Go down 
+3
beefcakemorris
Gath3r13
keetmanaa
7 posters
AuthorMessage
keetmanaa

Should I Use Rim Locks Empty
PostSubject: Should I Use Rim Locks   Should I Use Rim Locks EmptyFri Feb 13, 2015 12:18 pm

Having come from tubeless tired bikes to the WR I need some advice on whether I should have rim locks on my tires. I have Michelin T-63's front and rear, in 90/90 and 130/80. I typically ride conservatively on gravel, dirt and somewhat rocky two track, with tire pressures 10 front and 15-20 rear. I suspect I don't need to add rim locks at my impending tire change but wondered what y'all thought.
Back to top Go down
Gath3r13

Gath3r13

PostSubject: Re: Should I Use Rim Locks   Should I Use Rim Locks EmptyFri Feb 13, 2015 2:39 pm

I run Dunlop 606 on the rear 14-15 PSI and have not had an issue riding in any terrain that New England woods has thrown at me.
Back to top Go down
beefcakemorris

beefcakemorris

PostSubject: Re: Should I Use Rim Locks   Should I Use Rim Locks EmptyFri Feb 13, 2015 4:01 pm

I am running the Motion Pro lite rims locks on the same exact tires front and back. I am running 8 PSI in the front and 12 PSI in the rear. I live in FL and I do a lot of sugar sand riding, and the rear tire spins up a bunch. I would recomend them and they were not much to add to the tire.
Back to top Go down
Biglake

PostSubject: Re: Should I Use Rim Locks   Should I Use Rim Locks EmptyFri Feb 13, 2015 8:03 pm

I have em but ride in the woods like im on a real dirt bike most of the time with 10-12 psi in the rear tire, I never go below 14-15 psi in the front.

For dual sport rides where I keep 15-20 psi in the tires they're not needed at all.

Side note, your asking for trouble running less than 12 psi in the front tire, if you hit a rock or root you will get a pinch flat or dent the rim. I run 14-15 psi for this reason, any less and I hit the rim on rocks and roots. I can see running 8-10 for sand without rocks for flotation but that only works where theres no small hard objects hidden in the sand.
Back to top Go down
DWK

PostSubject: Re: Should I Use Rim Locks   Should I Use Rim Locks EmptySun Feb 15, 2015 5:50 pm

My experience has been the same as Biglake's: If I run less than 14psi in the front tire, I end up banging the rim on rocks. Of course, I'm a heavy rider traversing rocky Nevada terrain.

I have a Tubliss D606 in the back and can run that at 4psi without problems, although I generally run about 8psi on dirt and 20psi on the short sections of pavement I hit on occasion.

Dave
Back to top Go down
mcdoudlehopper

mcdoudlehopper

PostSubject: Re: Should I Use Rim Locks   Should I Use Rim Locks EmptyThu Feb 19, 2015 10:44 pm

Running the motion pro lites on mine. Was just worried if tire pressure gets low, that the tire could spin when braking and cut the valve stem off.
Back to top Go down
2006kj

PostSubject: Re: Should I Use Rim Locks   Should I Use Rim Locks EmptyMon Feb 23, 2015 6:55 pm

just a warning for highway use with rimlock either install two (opposing each other) or buy a static balancer and balance the tires/wheels. Im running SMpro wheels front/rear pirelli tires. Shook like crazy until i balanced them to offset the weight of the rim locks.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Should I Use Rim Locks   Should I Use Rim Locks Empty

Back to top Go down

Should I Use Rim Locks
Page 1 of 1