Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Need skills

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
WolfpackFBNS

Need skills Empty
PostSubject: Need skills   Need skills EmptyMon Feb 23, 2015 11:35 am

I've ridden street bikes forever but I never got that great at doing stunts (wheelies, stoppies, sliding the rear wheel into a turn, etc...) I think mostly from the fear of messing my bike up. I want to get better at this stuff and so I was out riding yesterday and just taking some turns and getting the rear sliding a bit but I think I'm doing it wrong. First I know I wasn't going fast enough to get a really good slide in. Am I supposed to lock up the rear with the brake or just downshift and let the engine do it for me? If I lock up the rear brake I think I need to pull in the clutch right?

Wheelies are a whole nother story. I ride mountain bikes and can force a wheelie with just leg strength but the few times I've rolled it back has made me fearful of doing this on a motorbike at much higher speeds. Don't know if my balance just sucks or if it's just a mental thing.

Idea's? Thoughts?
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

Need skills Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need skills   Need skills EmptyMon Feb 23, 2015 6:17 pm

You're riding your WR250X on pavement, correct?

When you see videos of guys going into turns with the back end out sideways, that's from downshifting and engine braking combined with weight being taken off the rear and transferred to the front via front brake.

I would not lock-up the rear wheel with the rear brake while entering a corner on pavement unless you are going two miles per hour.
In the dirt on a dirt bike that's another story as it is one of the ways the bike gets turned.

Long wheelies are done by balancing the bike with the throttle and rear brake.

I'd just gradually work my way up and practice, practice, practice.
Plan on a few crashes, too.

It is a good habit to have a finger or two at the ready and on the clutch lever at practically all times because doing tricky riding on a motorcycle often requires it.
Same for the front brake at certain times.

If you have a dirt bike, riding on dirt is great practice at having the bike move around while maintaining control.
Back to top Go down
WolfpackFBNS

Need skills Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need skills   Need skills EmptyMon Feb 23, 2015 7:58 pm

YZEtc wrote:
You're riding your WR250X on pavement, correct?

When you see videos of guys going into turns with the back end out sideways, that's from downshifting and engine braking combined with weight being taken off the rear and transferred to the front via front brake.

I would not lock-up the rear wheel with the rear brake while entering a corner on pavement unless you are going two miles per hour.
In the dirt on a dirt bike that's another story as it is one of the ways the bike gets turned.

Long wheelies are done by balancing the bike with the throttle and rear brake.

I'd just gradually work my way up and practice, practice, practice.
Plan on a few crashes, too.

It is a good habit to have a finger or two at the ready and on the clutch lever at practically all times because doing tricky riding on a motorcycle often requires it.
Same for the front brake at certain times.

If you have a dirt bike, riding on dirt is great practice at having the bike move around while maintaining control.

Yes mostly on pavement but I'm transitioning to making it more into a dual sport and more trail riding. I just want to eat up the remaining rubber on the street tires before going to more knobbyish tires.
Thanks for the advice on "backing it in". I'll work on it like you suggest. I may wait on the wheelies till I get in the dirt more. Softer landing I guess.
Back to top Go down
Evol

Evol

Need skills Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need skills   Need skills EmptyMon Feb 23, 2015 9:19 pm

Backing it in is done with the front brake, downshifting & engine braking. And it's usually done because you're moving fast. You don't want to "brake slide" the back end like you would do in the dirt.

As for the wheelies, COVER YOUR REAR BRAKE !!!! You don't want to loop it. It'll hurt you, your wallet, and your pride.
Back to top Go down
WolfpackFBNS

Need skills Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need skills   Need skills EmptyTue Feb 24, 2015 11:38 am

Evol wrote:
Backing it in is done with the front brake, downshifting & engine braking. And it's usually done because you're moving fast. You don't want to "brake slide" the back end like you would do in the dirt.

As for the wheelies, COVER YOUR REAR BRAKE !!!! You don't want to loop it. It'll hurt you, your wallet, and your pride.

Yea, looping it is what holds me back. I can't seem to get it in my head to let the front get up high enough.
Back to top Go down
martin_nj

Need skills Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need skills   Need skills EmptyThu Feb 26, 2015 3:39 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4Zr2Ykf8-4
Back to top Go down
WolfpackFBNS

Need skills Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need skills   Need skills EmptyThu Feb 26, 2015 8:22 pm

martin_nj wrote:

Thanks! thumb
Back to top Go down
martin_nj

Need skills Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need skills   Need skills EmptyThu Feb 26, 2015 9:10 pm

WolfpackFBNS wrote:
martin_nj wrote:

Thanks! thumb

i've been watching and practicing these techniques they're great because everything is low speed and controlled.
Back to top Go down
mcdoudlehopper

mcdoudlehopper

Need skills Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need skills   Need skills EmptyThu Feb 26, 2015 10:02 pm

Nice video bow but darn do wish I would have bought the Husky, or the orange bike, or a 450F. baldy
Back to top Go down
martin_nj

Need skills Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need skills   Need skills EmptyFri Feb 27, 2015 10:42 am

Why? For the extra power? Shrugs.. better to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow thumb
Back to top Go down
Evol

Evol

Need skills Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need skills   Need skills EmptyFri Feb 27, 2015 9:13 pm

mcdoudlehopper wrote:
Nice video bow but darn do wish I would have bought the Husky, or the orange bike, or a 450F.  baldy
I know the feeling.
martin_nj wrote:
Why? For the extra power? Shrugs.. better to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow thumb
I know the feeling.

I too want more power. I almost switched to a 500 EXC or 690 SMC last year.
Instead I kept my WRX and modded it. It's a lot better with the mods, and I'd say the mods are mandatory.
That said, I really do LOVE my WRX. It just feels sooo.... wings
If Yamaha could make a WR450X that still felt like our WRR/X's, it would be the best bike ever.

And the whole "better to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow" thing really does hold true. I noticed it last summer while riding my friends' 625 SMC & FS650e.

Last edited by Evol on Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:26 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
mcdoudlehopper

mcdoudlehopper

Need skills Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need skills   Need skills EmptyFri Feb 27, 2015 11:50 pm

After all the post and contemplations of trading her in, Maybe I need skills Shog
Back to top Go down
WolfpackFBNS

Need skills Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need skills   Need skills EmptySat Feb 28, 2015 10:11 am

I think I tend to constantly look for excuses for why I'm not going to be able to do the stunts or handling the bike like others. Maybe I need more power, lighter bike, better clutch, blah, blah, blah...

I know it's me. I need to get over my mental state of thinking that way and just get out there and ride more, try more things on the bike, and just take the falls as they come. Just one more excuse, I really just want warmer weather to get out there more.
Back to top Go down
Evol

Evol

Need skills Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need skills   Need skills EmptySat Feb 28, 2015 5:29 pm

WolfpackFBNS wrote:
Just one more excuse, I really just want warmer weather to get out there more.
I know the feeling.

Stupid winter.   baldy

P.S. If anyone wants a better clutch, look at getting an RSC clutch lever. It's money well spent !!!
Back to top Go down
WolfpackFBNS

Need skills Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need skills   Need skills EmptySat Feb 28, 2015 9:29 pm

Evol wrote:
WolfpackFBNS wrote:
Just one more excuse, I really just want warmer weather to get out there more.
I know the feeling.

Stupid winter.   baldy

P.S. If anyone wants a better clutch, look at getting an RSC clutch lever. It's money well spent !!!

It's funny you mention the RSC clutch. I was wondering how that felt vs. the Magura hydraulic clutch. I know the Magura is much more expensive but how does just a new lever (i.e. RSC) actually make it so much better?
Back to top Go down
mcdoudlehopper

mcdoudlehopper

Need skills Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need skills   Need skills EmptySat Feb 28, 2015 10:39 pm

Any clue why the RSC lever articulates any better for easier pull? I get arm pump on tight single track but just put new billet levers on and havnt even been able to ride it yet.
Need skills L114
Back to top Go down
Evol

Evol

Need skills Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need skills   Need skills EmptySat Feb 28, 2015 11:08 pm

It has to do with the leverage ratio. I can ride all day long (on road & off road) with my single finger lever and not be tired or have any arm pump. I've actually tested a theory and have pulled in the clutch with my pinky finger while riding, just to see if I could.

I'm so used to the light / easy pull feel that when I rode my buddy's YZ250 last summer, I had arm pump within a few minutes and it got so bad that on the way back to the car, I could not open/close my hand. That was not fun. Turns out he "forgot" to mention that he had stiffer clutch springs installed for racing, but still...

Same guy has a Husaberg FS650e and I find his Magura clutch is harder to pull than my RSC.

Another friend has a KTM 625 SMC and his Magura clutch is also harder to pull. And I know he does not have stiffer clutch springs on his bike.

When you feel a Magura clutch on a bike at a moto show or in a dealership, they feel buttery smooth, but they get harder to pull with time unless you replace the fluid.

Photo of my RSC:
Need skills IMG_20140324_195631
2 options: I'm set on "easy", the other gives more of a standard feel.
Need skills 20150304_182610

Last edited by Evol on Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:56 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
WolfpackFBNS

Need skills Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need skills   Need skills EmptySun Mar 01, 2015 6:05 am

So how hard is the install on the RSC? Does it come with a new cable or is it just the lever? I might pick one up in the next month or so.

cheers
Back to top Go down
Evol

Evol

Need skills Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need skills   Need skills EmptySun Mar 01, 2015 7:56 am

It's just the lever. Use your current cable (or replace at the same time with a new cable if you think it's needed). There is no plug for the clutch switch (which is better off unplugged anyways), so keep that in mind.
I have the standard delrin bushing in mine. You can get it with a roller ball bearing, but it's not needed.
I have a funky graphic (Snow Camo) on mine since it was hydro dipped. Standard models are anodized and a solid color, but they can do "splash" anodizing as well as hydro dipping to give your lever a unique look if you want.

Regarding the 3 sizes, here is a quote from the RSC website: "The shorty lever is a true 1 finger lever, and is designed primarily for the stunt community. The full length lever is a true 2 finger lever, and makes for a nice short lever on a street machine, or the perfect choice for a dirt bike. The XL lever is designed for applications where maximum leverage is desired. It provides enough room for 3 fingers, and has a length closer to the look of a stock lever."

Email Josh @ RSC for custom colors and they might have some custom finishes in stock.

http://www.righteousstuntmetal.com/international/levers.html
Back to top Go down
WolfpackFBNS

Need skills Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need skills   Need skills EmptySun Mar 01, 2015 3:04 pm

Evol wrote:
It's just the lever. Use your current cable (or replace at the same time with a new cable if you think it's needed). There is no plug for the clutch switch (which is better off unplugged anyways), so keep that in mind.
I have the standard delrin bushing in mine. You can get it with a roller ball bearing, but it's not needed.
I have a funky graphic (Snow Camo) on mine since it was hydro dipped. Standard models are anodized and a solid color, but they can do "splash" anodizing as well as hydro dipping to give your lever a unique look if you want.

Regarding the 3 sizes, here is a quote from the RSC website: "The shorty lever is a true 1 finger lever, and is designed primarily for the stunt community. The full length lever is a true 2 finger lever, and makes for a nice short lever on a street machine, or the perfect choice for a dirt bike. The XL lever is designed for applications where maximum leverage is desired. It provides enough room for 3 fingers, and has a length closer to the look of a stock lever."

Email Josh @ RSC for custom colors and they might have some custom finishes in stock.

http://www.righteousstuntmetal.com/international/levers.html

Cool thumb Thanks for the info. I
Back to top Go down
mcdoudlehopper

mcdoudlehopper

Need skills Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need skills   Need skills EmptySun Mar 01, 2015 9:50 pm

Wow, that lOOks T!TT$. Is that snow camo? Like how short it is, thinking of cutting mine right from git brcause I only use two finger clutch.
Back to top Go down
WolfpackFBNS

Need skills Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need skills   Need skills EmptyTue Mar 03, 2015 10:27 am

We will have dry warm weather this weekend. I am going to head out and practice some basic wheelies, stoppies, and just getting the rear end to slide into a turn. I have an industrial park that is empty on the weekends so I'm heading there.
I hope to report back next week w/o any injuries! Very happy
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

Need skills Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need skills   Need skills EmptyTue Mar 03, 2015 7:21 pm

Have fun practicing. :)
Back to top Go down
Evol

Evol

Need skills Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need skills   Need skills EmptyTue Mar 03, 2015 8:37 pm

ATGATT !!!
Back to top Go down
WolfpackFBNS

Need skills Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need skills   Need skills EmptyTue Mar 03, 2015 9:31 pm

YZEtc wrote:
Have fun practicing.  :)

Damn it! dddog I just wrote on another thread that my chain is starting to wear through my swing arm. Just ordered a new slider but it won't be in till next week. I loosened the chain but am nervous about messing up the swing arm any further. dddog

Evol wrote:
ATGATT !!!

Yea, I definitely wear lots of gear (back protector, helmet, gloves) I even have a full leather track suit but I think I'd feel a little dumb wearing that to go practice wheelies, although it probably would be smart. Remember

I may be getting on my other bike this weekend until I can get that swing arm protected!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Need skills Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need skills   Need skills Empty

Back to top Go down

Need skills
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next