Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Low end grunt, FMF header?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
thegg

Low end grunt, FMF header? Empty
PostSubject: Low end grunt, FMF header?   Low end grunt, FMF header? EmptyThu Apr 23, 2015 2:55 pm

I have an 08 WR250R with the FMF Q4 exhaust, and FMF programmer. The bike doesn't seem to have enough power to get out of it's own way. Specifically, I can't get the front wheel off of the ground even with a judicious burst of power (while clutching up) and throwing my weight back. Is this normal for my setup, or should I look into the programmer's settings? I bought the bike second hand, so I don't know what the previous owner has it set for. Would a megabomb header make a difference? Is it worth the investment?
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

PostSubject: Re: Low end grunt, FMF header?   Low end grunt, FMF header? EmptyThu Apr 23, 2015 3:41 pm

thegg wrote:
I have an 08 WR250R with the FMF Q4 exhaust, and FMF programmer.  The bike doesn't seem to have enough power to get out of it's own way. Specifically, I can't get the front wheel off of the ground even with a judicious burst of power (while clutching up) and throwing my weight back.  Is this normal for my setup, or should I look into the programmer's settings?  I bought the bike second hand, so I don't know what the previous owner has it set for.  Would a megabomb header make a difference?  Is it worth the investment?

What sprockets are you running? Stock the bike is geared pretty tall at 13/43. I am currently running 14/50 but I am thinking my favorite set up is 13/48.
Back to top Go down
thegg

PostSubject: Re: Low end grunt, FMF header?   Low end grunt, FMF header? EmptyThu Apr 23, 2015 4:16 pm

I am running 13/48
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

PostSubject: Re: Low end grunt, FMF header?   Low end grunt, FMF header? EmptyThu Apr 23, 2015 4:19 pm

thegg wrote:
I am running 13/48

I would disconnect the programmer (not too hard) and reattach everything and see how it does without the programmer. Some would say to turn down the settings but I would remove it first to see if there is a difference.

I pretty much have taken my bike back to stock (except for suspension and gearing) and like how it runs.
Back to top Go down
martin_nj

PostSubject: Re: Low end grunt, FMF header?   Low end grunt, FMF header? EmptyFri Apr 24, 2015 8:37 am

Your technique is bad plain and simple. Get out there and practice! thumb
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Low end grunt, FMF header?   Low end grunt, FMF header? EmptyFri Apr 24, 2015 8:53 am

thegg wrote:
Specifically, I can't get the front wheel off of the ground even with a judicious burst of power (while clutching up) and throwing my weight back.

What gear you trying to do this in?

What speed are you going when attempting?

Where do you think you are in the rpm range?

I'm guessing you're in too high of a gear, with the rpm's too high as well.

In second gear, starting with proper (lower than you might think) rpm's, and 13/48 gearing, using the clutch, you should be able to loop the bike if you're not careful.

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
martin_nj

PostSubject: Re: Low end grunt, FMF header?   Low end grunt, FMF header? EmptyFri Apr 24, 2015 8:57 am

Good overview of technique:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sbaIkmspCI

Long video that shows you how little the engine has to do with the process
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4Zr2Ykf8-4

It is 80% suspension and body weight

Back to top Go down
thegg

PostSubject: Re: Low end grunt, FMF header?   Low end grunt, FMF header? EmptyFri Apr 24, 2015 12:45 pm

I am trying it in 2nd gear, usually in the 12-18mph range. I have no idea what rpm really.....I don't have a tach.

I recently got a trials bike. It is a 2 stroke 250, it weighs 150 pounds. I can loft the front wheel on it on demand. I can do it with or without the clutch, in 1st-3rd gears. I suspect I could do it in higher gear too but haven't tried. I can do it with very little throttle application by compressing the front shock and then throwing my weight back. I tell you this to demonstrate that while I am very new at this, I am not a complete clod. My trials bike weighs 150 pounds, I weigh 150 pounds, it is a 2 stroke 250 which creates a lot of torque down low. It has a shorter wheelbase than the WR. All these things make it very easy to loft the front wheel.

My sense is that with the WR, it is much more difficult to loft the front wheel because of its heavy weight, less powerful engine, longer wheelbase etc. My 150 pounds does not affect the 300 pound beast like my body weight affects the 150 pound trials bike. I don't have to have perfect form to wheelie the trials bike....

Does suspension setup have much to do with this?
Back to top Go down
martin_nj

PostSubject: Re: Low end grunt, FMF header?   Low end grunt, FMF header? EmptyFri Apr 24, 2015 12:48 pm

Try 1st gear on the WR250 .... But as you saw in the Jarvis video, his two stroke (while lighter and more powerful than our bikes) is barely off idle.

It is timing your body and your clutch together.

Start on a mtn bike if you can, then do some trials wheelies, then take the WR out for some wheelies... You should feel really comfortable.

Think about throwing your weight UP and your HIPS back. If that makes sense?

Use your knees and/or front brake to put energy into the forks and time the clutch to lof that wheel. Be safe!
Back to top Go down
Roku

PostSubject: Re: Low end grunt, FMF header?   Low end grunt, FMF header? EmptyFri Apr 24, 2015 3:16 pm

You should be able to wheelie fairly easy with stock gearing, no power mods, and seating flat with no technique in second gear. I would consider where your at in the powerband, too low will have no power (torque) to get the front wheel up, and too high you could end up looping it if your not careful with a clutch drop. No matter how many mods you have, power wheelies in 3rd gear or higher just wont happen without tons of weight transfer, for that matter clutch ups in 3rd wont happen without much higher gearing. As well having the wr250r with the 18in and 21in tires already gives you an advantage when trying to perform wheelies.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Low end grunt, FMF header?   Low end grunt, FMF header? Empty

Back to top Go down

Low end grunt, FMF header?
Page 1 of 1