Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Any previous sportbike owners

Go down 
+8
KiLLeRrKeN
Leo167
Talon_sei
waltermitty
dmmcd
WRRwallis
TwoBuells
Caldsy
12 posters
AuthorMessage
WRRwallis

Any previous sportbike owners Empty
PostSubject: Any previous sportbike owners   Any previous sportbike owners EmptyMon Apr 27, 2015 2:26 pm

Hello everyone, I was looking at getting a WR250R last year after having a CBR250R for a year. Well I ended up getting a 2009 ZX6R and I've put about about 2,000 miles on it so far. However, I feel like I would have more fun with the WR250R especially since I miss being able to shift through all the gears. For example, first gear takes me over 70mph and there's no way I can legally shift through the gears the way I would want. I miss being able to take almost every gear to redline.

Also I've really had an interest in doing some trail riding or any off road riding. My first bike was a dirt bike and I'd love to get back into some of that. Then there's the fact that this bike is so much more cheaper than a sportbike, especially when it comes to insurance!

Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone here has gone from super sport to a dual sport and what they think of it. If I purchased a WR250R I would be getting supermoto wheels but I think 80% of the time I will be using the knobbies instead. Also do any of you sportbike guys miss the speed? I appreciate any help and advice you guys can give me.
Back to top Go down
Caldsy

Caldsy

PostSubject: Re: Any previous sportbike owners   Any previous sportbike owners EmptyMon Apr 27, 2015 3:03 pm

WRRwallis wrote:
Hello everyone, I was looking at getting a WR250R last year after having a CBR250R for a year. Well I ended up getting a 2009 ZX6R and I've put about about 2,000 miles on it so far. However, I feel like I would have more fun with the WR250R especially since I miss being able to shift through all the gears. For example, first gear takes me over 70mph and there's no way I can legally shift through the gears the way I would want. I miss being able to take almost every gear to redline.

Also I've really had an interest in doing some trail riding or any off road riding. My first bike was a dirt bike and I'd love to get back into some of that. Then there's the fact that this bike is so much more cheaper than a sportbike, especially when it comes to insurance!

Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone here has gone from super sport to a dual sport and what they think of it. If I purchased a WR250R I would be getting supermoto wheels but I think 80% of the time I will be using the knobbies instead. Also do any of you sportbike guys miss the speed? I appreciate any help and advice you guys can give me.

[img]Any previous sportbike owners Dscn3711[/img]

This WAS my baby a few years ago. I've had a few sport bikes and part of me still misses that kind of riding. Once I got on the dirt with the WRR I knew instantly it was more fun. A different kind of riding style altogether.

NOW... you are coming off a 600cc 4 Cylinder high HP performance engine compared to our little 250's single cylinder.... don't fool yourself. You will need to REV this little motor out!
Back to top Go down
TwoBuells

TwoBuells

PostSubject: Re: Any previous sportbike owners   Any previous sportbike owners EmptyMon Apr 27, 2015 3:06 pm

Buy the WR. You can keep the throttle pinned and keep pressure on the shifter and the bike will shift when hitting the rev limiter, FUN! wings

I've owned 22 bikes and ATV's since 1973 and this by far is the most fun. Its not the most powerful but like I said its the most fun and it's the first bike I pick to ride in my stable.
Back to top Go down
TwoBuells

TwoBuells

PostSubject: Re: Any previous sportbike owners   Any previous sportbike owners EmptyMon Apr 27, 2015 3:18 pm

2007 Yam R1LE was my dream bike, I get wings every time I see one.
Love that color and the Ohlins Suspension, trick!
Back to top Go down
WRRwallis

PostSubject: Re: Any previous sportbike owners   Any previous sportbike owners EmptyMon Apr 27, 2015 3:44 pm

Well i did have a cbr250r before this and I know what a lower horsepower bike is like. However I'm willing to give up all the power for more fun :)
Back to top Go down
dmmcd

dmmcd

PostSubject: Re: Any previous sportbike owners   Any previous sportbike owners EmptyMon Apr 27, 2015 4:53 pm

I traded up from a Suzi SV650S. Not exactly a super sport, but I love the WRx. The only thing that I miss about the SV is track days. Most of my riding is commuting to work, and the roads around me are twisty and quickly deteriorating to nearly gravel. The SV was fun, but my arms and back were really taking a beating on the terrible roads. I've had the WRx for nearly 3 years now and no regrets. I still smile every time I climb on and hit the starter. Very happy

Back to top Go down
WRRwallis

PostSubject: Re: Any previous sportbike owners   Any previous sportbike owners EmptyMon Apr 27, 2015 4:57 pm

So far the only problem I have found is that they seem a bit overpriced in my area (Nova). I'll see what I can do though.
Back to top Go down
waltermitty

PostSubject: Re: Any previous sportbike owners   Any previous sportbike owners EmptyMon Apr 27, 2015 7:46 pm

Had a buncha sportbikes, last one a ZX-10R. No reson to be screaming around in first gear (unless you are a squid). The ZX-10R will pull smoothly from 2k. I seldom got over 4k in town unless I was trying to be stupid. My WR250X is the funest bike I have own in a while.
Back to top Go down
WRRwallis

PostSubject: Re: Any previous sportbike owners   Any previous sportbike owners EmptyMon Apr 27, 2015 8:09 pm

Did you keep your zx10r?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Any previous sportbike owners   Any previous sportbike owners EmptyMon Apr 27, 2015 8:35 pm

WRRwallis wrote:

Sounds like you're a bit ADHD, eh? Supermoto is just a style... unless you're short, in which case the WRR is the wrong bike anyhow. I've had street bikes and the WRR is really boring on the highway in comparison. If you're going under 40 mph the WRR starts to be more fun.

For real dirt fun, get an actual dirt bike and keep the zx.
Back to top Go down
waltermitty

PostSubject: Re: Any previous sportbike owners   Any previous sportbike owners EmptyMon Apr 27, 2015 8:56 pm

WRRwallis wrote:
Did you keep your zx10r?

Sold it a couple of months ago. Current lineup '12 Versys 650, '07 KLR650, '10 WR250X. Going to pick up cherry '09 WR250X tomorrow. The '10 is going.
Back to top Go down
WRRwallis

PostSubject: Re: Any previous sportbike owners   Any previous sportbike owners EmptyMon Apr 27, 2015 9:05 pm

I thought supermoto is good if you're hitting some hard turns? I want to still be able to hit the twistys really hard but also have fun around town and on dirt.
Back to top Go down
Talon_sei

PostSubject: Re: Any previous sportbike owners   Any previous sportbike owners EmptyTue Apr 28, 2015 9:46 am

Hey, I very recently sold my cbr1000rr and picked up a WRR. The transition has been great so far. I always thought I would miss the power but it has opened my eyes to a whole new style of riding.

Instead of riding highspeed wheelies, going 100+, and lane splitting... I now ride slow wheelies, ride WOT most places while still remaining safe and under the speed limit, and get to ride almost anywhere I can squeeze the bike in the city and out in the country. Its a whole different (safer in my eyes) type of adrenaline rush and I am extremely happy with the bike. Not to mention it is only 11 dollars to insure a month!

Hope this helps thumb
Back to top Go down
WRRwallis

PostSubject: Re: Any previous sportbike owners   Any previous sportbike owners EmptyTue Apr 28, 2015 10:04 pm

Thanks talon. Well I wrecked my bike today so I guess I will probably be getting something soon. Still pretty set on a wr250r!
Back to top Go down
Leo167

PostSubject: Re: Any previous sportbike owners   Any previous sportbike owners EmptyTue Apr 28, 2015 10:36 pm

Started with dirt bikes when I was a kid this was many moons ago..
since my mid 20's always had liter bikes and bigger.... my last sport bike was a 2012 ZX14R
currently have a Ducati MTS1200 Pikes Peak and before this the Diavel unfortunately that was totaled
This year a friend got back into trail riding so I followed suite.... and bought a 2015 WRR
I hated the thing, tall as hell, felt asthmatic and was convinced it was defective (this was the ride home from the dealer)
and went on to hate it for the next couple of weeks to the point where I said to myself "i made a mistake with this purchase"
this is a huge adjustment for me I forget it is just a 250...and just of late, after 200 miles and some suspension tweaking, Im starting to like it, she's loosening up, feeling more peppy, can flat foot at a stop, even being able to get the front up on just throttle (1st gear) to go over obstacles, and clutching it up in 2nd (im no expert, but no matter what I did, I couldn't get it to wheelie a little early on)
I actually am liking this better than any street bike that I've owned... light weight, suspension that eats bumps, pennies for insurance, good gas mileage (even with some moderate flogging) really..whats not to like? can use some more power, so I'm searching this forum on ways to uncork it a little... bottomline I'll keep it
Back to top Go down
KiLLeRrKeN

PostSubject: Re: Any previous sportbike owners   Any previous sportbike owners EmptyFri May 01, 2015 7:47 am

I own a gsxr600 and I love that bike, the speed the adrenaline. How she looked just parked. And then i started to watch videos on youtube and i saw a supermoto and what they can do, then i looked at the dual sport version as well and saw they can still do it all except the whole 160+mph runs. after that i ended up doing research on another forum to see what bike i would like on paper. And i decided on a wr250x which i test rode before i picked it up and its been a blast ever since i rode it. I do not miss going light speed on the highway. All in all I would still ride my SS but its parked in the garage now lol. I take my wrx everywhere i go. Its fun and never let me down.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Any previous sportbike owners   Any previous sportbike owners EmptyFri May 01, 2015 7:58 am

Started on Honda 500 Interceptor, then roadraced an FZR400, then got an R1, THEN got the 250X.

On the R1 it was far to easy to exceed the speed limit to the point of silliness.

The old adage about it being more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow is very very true. At least for me.

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
LasVegasWR

LasVegasWR

PostSubject: Re: Any previous sportbike owners   Any previous sportbike owners EmptyMon Sep 21, 2015 7:35 pm

The perfect solution is at least one of each... cheers
Back to top Go down
TKO

TKO

PostSubject: Re: Any previous sportbike owners   Any previous sportbike owners EmptyTue Sep 22, 2015 8:28 am

LasVegasWR wrote:
The perfect solution is at least one of each... cheers

Yep. thumb

I have my WR and my liter bike.  Love them both, but I will have to admit that, if I were forced to choose, big blue would be put up for sale before the WR.

Glad I don't have to choose. wings

Actually, the next choice is where to put the new Kawi Concours 14.  wink
Back to top Go down
nbleak21

PostSubject: Re: Any previous sportbike owners   Any previous sportbike owners EmptyThu Sep 24, 2015 9:44 pm

Yep, liter bike is gone... replaced with a WRR... loads more fun riding a slow bike fast then a fast bike slow! Lugging my 235lb ass around, I can run WTFO on interstate without a ticket (tops out at 77.6mph!)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Any previous sportbike owners   Any previous sportbike owners Empty

Back to top Go down

Any previous sportbike owners
Page 1 of 1