Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Surf Rack with Cyclerack/Moto-Rack questions

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
wrwiley

wrwiley

Surf Rack with Cyclerack/Moto-Rack questions Empty
PostSubject: Surf Rack with Cyclerack/Moto-Rack questions   Surf Rack with Cyclerack/Moto-Rack questions EmptyMon May 25, 2015 11:59 pm

Hey guys, just picked up a WR250R with intentions to possibly take it everywhere. North, south, east, west, where ever the road leads. I have driven my van around latin america and want to go further. I am planning on installing a carver surf rack, and wanted input from those familiar with the Cyclerack or Moto-Rack. Ideally I am looking to carry a surfboard, with a pair of wolfman expedition side bags, and a pelican case on the tail. I assume I cannot use the Cyclerack and Moto-Rack together but that would probably be ideal. Any recommendations?

Thanks
Back to top Go down
JS5Owner

PostSubject: Re: Surf Rack with Cyclerack/Moto-Rack questions   Surf Rack with Cyclerack/Moto-Rack questions EmptyTue May 26, 2015 1:51 pm

wrwiley wrote:
Hey guys, just picked up a WR250R with intentions to possibly take it everywhere.  North, south, east, west, where ever the road leads.  I have driven my van around latin america and want to go further.  I am planning on installing a carver surf rack, and wanted input from those familiar with the Cyclerack or Moto-Rack.  Ideally I am looking to carry a surfboard, with a pair of wolfman expedition side bags, and a pelican case on the tail.  I assume I cannot use the Cyclerack and Moto-Rack together but that would probably be ideal.  Any recommendations?

Thanks

I have the Cyclerack and it is large and tough.  I think you should be able to figure out a solution that includes that rack. Here is my WR "Willie Boy" with Cyclerack, a large bag, and Rotopax attached to the Cyclerack.

Surf Rack with Cyclerack/Moto-Rack questions <a href=Surf Rack with Cyclerack/Moto-Rack questions P1120410" />
Back to top Go down
wrwiley

wrwiley

PostSubject: Re: Surf Rack with Cyclerack/Moto-Rack questions   Surf Rack with Cyclerack/Moto-Rack questions EmptyTue May 26, 2015 11:09 pm

Appreciate the input JS5Owner, thanks.  I think the cycle rack makes the most sense with the surf rack, I dont trust the other tail style racks with just the 4 bolts taking the impact of the board when I inevitably go down.

Anyone have any experience with the cyclerack pannier bag supports, this is the only pic available, not sure how well it will work with the expedition bags, looks like they dont attach and just flop around?  There is an older style that I have found reviews on but it seems like they changed up the model recently.

Thanks

Surf Rack with Cyclerack/Moto-Rack questions Bag%20Support%20Left%20Side%20Forward%20Level%20View

edit: here is a guy who shows how he used the setup for hard panniers...minus the surf rack of course.
http://tw200forum.com/forum/performance-customization/5058-givi-e21-hardbag-install.html#entry51487
Back to top Go down
MTWIBadger

PostSubject: Re: Surf Rack with Cyclerack/Moto-Rack questions   Surf Rack with Cyclerack/Moto-Rack questions EmptyThu Aug 20, 2015 1:46 am

I have a Cyclerack with the side supports for panniers.  I have had them for 3 years and love them.  They hook in and are not floppy.  There is a strap that attaches to the other side over the top of the tire.  I have not had any problems with them and use soft panniers.
Back to top Go down
wrwiley

wrwiley

PostSubject: Re: Surf Rack with Cyclerack/Moto-Rack questions   Surf Rack with Cyclerack/Moto-Rack questions EmptyThu Aug 20, 2015 9:08 pm

Thanks for the follow up, do you attach your softbags to those squares or do they just hang over?  I ended up ordering the moto-racks to see if they will work with the cycle rack...hmmm, I better follow up with them its been a month and a half now, and thats putting off my surf rack install.  If they dont work I think I may try and add something for better support to those little squares on the cycle rack that the wolfmans can attach, it works, but I would like something more robust for my plans.

Back to top Go down
MTWIBadger

PostSubject: Re: Surf Rack with Cyclerack/Moto-Rack questions   Surf Rack with Cyclerack/Moto-Rack questions EmptyFri Aug 21, 2015 12:49 am

The panniers have straps that connect on the inside of the metal squares and hold the panniers tight to the metal squares. The bag supports are easy to take off so I only have them on when I am camping off my WR250R.
Back to top Go down
wrwiley

wrwiley

PostSubject: Re: Surf Rack with Cyclerack/Moto-Rack questions   Surf Rack with Cyclerack/Moto-Rack questions EmptySat Sep 05, 2015 6:03 pm

So I decided I wanted more for my side racks and have gone with a Cyclerack / Moto-Rack combo. You cn see some pics here, they seem to work fine together

https://wr250rforum.forumotion.com/t11681-wrwileys-build-surf-adveture-bike#96890
Back to top Go down
greenboy

greenboy

PostSubject: Re: Surf Rack with Cyclerack/Moto-Rack questions   Surf Rack with Cyclerack/Moto-Rack questions EmptySun Sep 06, 2015 1:10 pm

A couple months back I had a great conversation with Tom over at Moto-Racks about his product in conjunction with the Cycleracks rear rack, which totally kicks ass. I haven't gotten around to doing anything on the sides yet, but it's good to see someone else using the two products together!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Surf Rack with Cyclerack/Moto-Rack questions   Surf Rack with Cyclerack/Moto-Rack questions Empty

Back to top Go down

Surf Rack with Cyclerack/Moto-Rack questions
Page 1 of 1