Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Mountain set up

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Diamond K

Diamond K

Mountain set up Empty
PostSubject: Mountain set up   Mountain set up EmptyMon Jul 27, 2015 10:39 pm

After two tours in Colorado this summer using the 13/45 I was often wishing for a little more power above 10,000 ft and the ability to crawl along on the single track trails. So after reading several of the post from fellow WR riders I ordered at 50t sprocket and 112 link chain. WOW what a difference it has made. Now it is more like having a 5 speed with a granny gear. My son has decided to put the same set up on his WR too, he has been riding the stock 13/43. We are headed back to CO next week for another two weeks of riding. I will post up my feelings of the sprocket combo when we return.
Back to top Go down
Prime

Prime

Mountain set up Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mountain set up   Mountain set up EmptyTue Jul 28, 2015 10:17 am

Interesting, let us know how you like it.

I ordered a 14/51 setup. It's somewhere in between your two setups, but I ride at sea level. So I'm hoping it will be a good mix for trail use and some road use.
Back to top Go down
Fiftygrit

Fiftygrit

Mountain set up Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mountain set up   Mountain set up EmptyTue Jul 28, 2015 10:42 am

The 14-51 would be close to running 13-48, I changed to 13-47 and I may go to 13-49 or 50, single track here is pretty tight it is way better than the 13-43 thats for sure, and its still pretty good on road, pic`s of Colorado would be nice, cheer`s
Back to top Go down
Prime

Prime

Mountain set up Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mountain set up   Mountain set up EmptyTue Jul 28, 2015 10:48 am

Yup, the 14/51 is right in between 13/47 and /48. That's why I picked it. I still need to maintain some road capability, or I would have went even further, like the OP did. Hopefully I'm pleased with it, but I can always change it. It's only money, right? :)
Back to top Go down
Diamond K

Diamond K

Mountain set up Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mountain set up   Mountain set up EmptyTue Jul 28, 2015 2:18 pm

Here is a picture of our bikes on top of Cross Mtn. near Taylor Park CO. Love that alpine air.
Mountain set up Moccasin_Gap_131
Back to top Go down
Fiftygrit

Fiftygrit

Mountain set up Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mountain set up   Mountain set up EmptyTue Jul 28, 2015 7:42 pm

Nice pic, yup 13-47 13-48 seems to be the best of on and off road, cheer`s
Back to top Go down
wwguy

wwguy

Mountain set up Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mountain set up   Mountain set up EmptyWed Jul 29, 2015 10:46 am

Great to hear you're enjoying new trails with new gears! I ride 13/51 on trails in the Idaho high country and love it. No more 1st gear stalls (and code 30 falls) due to steep or tight trails. I can still easily do 65 MPH on the pavement, which is plenty fast for the occasional pavement I ride.
Back to top Go down
like2lean

Mountain set up Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mountain set up   Mountain set up EmptyThu Jul 30, 2015 4:01 pm

I went 13/48 and really like it so far, It'll still do 75 on the hwy and pulls the trails well.  I'll be in Ouray in a few weeks too, I just hope I went low enough for the mountains at altitude!
Back to top Go down
Diamond K

Diamond K

Mountain set up Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mountain set up   Mountain set up EmptyThu Aug 20, 2015 12:17 pm

The 13/50's were perfect for what we were riding at 12,000ft and above. We did a lot of single track and got along great. Still had good hwy speed when we got on pavement, which was not often. The stator on my son's bike started to rattle in the last week, getting louder each day, so we parked it. Didn't want to get stranded on a mountain side miles from a road. Anyhow he finished the trip on my bike and I rode the RZR with my wife. Great trip!
This picture is on Tomichi Pass northeast of Gunnison CO. My wife is on the XT250
Mountain set up Colorado%202015%20056
Mt Antero 13,800ft The "Prospectors" film crew was just below the top behind the RZR.
Mountain set up Colorado%202015%20061
Back to top Go down
Fiftygrit

Fiftygrit

Mountain set up Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mountain set up   Mountain set up EmptyThu Aug 20, 2015 4:33 pm

If its the stator your son should be on the list for the recall, give the vin number to the local dealer and he can check.
Back to top Go down
Diamond K

Diamond K

Mountain set up Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mountain set up   Mountain set up EmptyThu Aug 20, 2015 6:10 pm

We both had recall notices in the mail when we got home. His is in the shop now. I am not sure the rattle was the stator but time will tell. They have a lot of WRs in the shop in Springfield for the recall. I plan to take mine in when we pick his up.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Mountain set up Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mountain set up   Mountain set up Empty

Back to top Go down

Mountain set up
Page 1 of 1