Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Gearing Question

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
eram310

Gearing Question   Empty
PostSubject: Gearing Question    Gearing Question   EmptyTue Mar 22, 2016 11:31 am

The WR is new to me and I have only ridden it once on a friends bike with 12/43 gearing. (because of that test ride I bought one)
On that test ride , everything from pavement to single track woods , the bike was smoother than my 15/48 gearing on my DRZ400S.
I was surprised how low gearing the bike felt on single track. On my DRZ, on tight single track I normally ride at 1-2 gears and on the WR I was at 2-3 gear all the time. (I am slow) 1st was only used at places where I had to stop to get the handlebars between two trees.
I am a little confused about the gearing recommendations on this web site that I have read so far. I think 13/43 is a good compromise for anything from singletrack to pavement and it will probably make the high-speed ridding more enjoyable.
I plan on using the WR mostly for aggressive dual sport woods riding with some single track. I am thinking about keeping the stock gearing.
Am I missing something?

Thank you.

Back to top Go down
wwguy

wwguy

Gearing Question   Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gearing Question    Gearing Question   EmptyTue Mar 22, 2016 11:46 am

Stock 13/43 gearing was terrible for me because 1st gear was too tall for the steep tight trails I was riding. I found myself stalling (and sometimes dropping the bike) when I needed to go slower and/or crawl up some sections of trail. 13/51 works much better for me for where and how I ride. But that doesn't mean it's right for you. If you like 13/43 then have some fun with it. You'll know if or when it's time to change to lower gearing.
Back to top Go down
Biglake

Gearing Question   Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gearing Question    Gearing Question   EmptyWed Mar 23, 2016 6:15 pm

Stock gearing is too tall for me, 6th has no power at all on the road and first is a bit too quick off road with second being too fast to use on the tight trails I ride.
I ran 13-50 for a year or so but found first too low for nasty steep hills/etc, second too fast for them and it was quite revvy on the road.
I switched to 14-50 and like it much better all round, first is about perfect for nasty hills/hopping logs/mud holes etc, it cruises better on back roads and even is ok at 65mhp on the highway. 14-50 is very close to 12-43 but keeps the chain off the chain slider so it last much longer.

Everyone is different, I like to use all the bikes gears as a dual sport, if I rode off road only I'd gear it lower so I could use second for nasty stuff and the gears where closer together but that setup sucks on the road. I avoid riding on the highway so I have no need for stock gearing.
Back to top Go down
eram310

Gearing Question   Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gearing Question    Gearing Question   EmptySat Mar 26, 2016 7:58 pm

Hey, thanks everyone. I will have to explore, but I will start with stock 13/43.
Hey BigLake, how many links on your chain to run 14/50?

Thanks,
Back to top Go down
Biglake

Gearing Question   Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gearing Question    Gearing Question   EmptySat Mar 26, 2016 10:13 pm

112 I think??
I buy a 120 link chain and cut it to length.

I like the way the bike handles with the rear tire as far forward as possible so I run the shortest chain I can.
I had 13-50 with 114 links a couple years ago with the wheel most of the way back adjustment wise but shortened the chain to 112 links to pull the wheel ahead as it was harder to wheelie with the longer chain/wheelbase.
Back to top Go down
eram310

Gearing Question   Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gearing Question    Gearing Question   EmptySun Mar 27, 2016 9:43 am

That's interesting. The WRR has a significantly shorter wheelbase compared to dirtbikes and other lightweight d/s motorcycles.
Back to top Go down
Biglake

Gearing Question   Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gearing Question    Gearing Question   EmptySun Mar 27, 2016 11:29 am

While the wrr is shorter than most other full size bikes theres more of its weight on the front tire than those bikes too so running the rear wheel further back puts even move weight on the front which is bad if you like or to need to wheelie over stuff off road.

I switched from 13-48 gearing (I liked the gearing but my giant srt chain was eating into the slider so I needed to run a 14 front, don't buy the srt chain for a wrr) with a 112 link chain to 14-50 with the exact same chain which pulled the wheel almost all the way to the front last fall and can pop the front end up easier now. thumb
Back to top Go down
eram310

Gearing Question   Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gearing Question    Gearing Question   EmptyMon Mar 28, 2016 12:15 pm

Hey Biglake, always great information from you on the WR.

Thank you.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Gearing Question   Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gearing Question    Gearing Question   Empty

Back to top Go down

Gearing Question
Page 1 of 1