Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

WRR to replace my KLR?

Go down 
+12
66T
gatorfan
rider213
darngood1
Prairieparson
rarepartbuilder
VW_Lee
ejfranz1
Diamond K
Spetz
N8
Fiftygrit
16 posters
AuthorMessage
Spetz

WRR to replace my KLR? Empty
PostSubject: WRR to replace my KLR?   WRR to replace my KLR? EmptyWed Apr 06, 2016 1:57 pm

Hello all, first post here.

I've looking at potentially selling my 2012 KLR and going with a WRR. My current ride is mod wise where I want it, but it is just too much of a heavy beast offroad (450+ lbs) and for the type of riding I want to do more of, am looking for a small DS/Enduro bike. I almost bought a KTM 690 the other day, but after realizing that I would never, ever ride that bike to it's full potential began looking at the WR. I know I will be dropping in power, but being over 130lbs lighter, may not be that big a deal.

From what I have read, it seems to be the bike to get in the 250cc market when compared to the CR and KLX.

So my questions are..

Is the WR a good/strong/powerful enough bike to carry a 200lb, 6'2" rider with bags etc and still have the power etc to be an enjoyable, daily driver that can hang with the rest offroad on fire service roads and double/single track?

My 8 yr old son also enjoys going for small rides with dad. How is the WR for smaller passangers?

My most current pic of my KLR..

WRR to replace my KLR? Bike_zpsqfub7s7k
Back to top Go down
Diamond K

Diamond K

PostSubject: Re: WRR to replace my KLR?   WRR to replace my KLR? EmptyWed Apr 06, 2016 3:09 pm

Welcome to the forum. Lots of info to read through here.  Sounds like your are a perfect fit for the WR. I too made the move form the KLR to the WR. The KLR is a fun bike and I still have one but as you said they are just to heavy for true off road riding. We make several trips to CO each summer from MO. The power loss at high elevation along with the weight with the KLR limited what trails we could ride. My son was the first to get the WR after years on a YZF. I soon realized that the WR was what I needed too. Love the fuel injection and light weight. I will say that the KLR was far better for 2up riding, however it can be done on the WR, just not at the comfort level as the KLR. Lots of farkels are out there for the WR just as with the KLR. For me personally, it is the best all around bike if you are just going to have one bike. As I said earlier I still have a KLR and my son has a Triumph Tiger 800XC for those longer cross county tours that don't have as much single track involved.
Back to top Go down
Fiftygrit

Fiftygrit

PostSubject: Re: WRR to replace my KLR?   WRR to replace my KLR? EmptyWed Apr 06, 2016 6:41 pm

Im 6ft 1in and 200lbs I really like my WRR, i have a C Baily wind shield, Giant loop Mohavi bags and a few other items, I got this bike for around town and short rides on the highway, Im not planning any long highway trips any more, I changes the gearing from 13-43 to 13-47 works way better for my need`s, I would keep the KLR for longer trips if you could.
Back to top Go down
N8

PostSubject: Re: WRR to replace my KLR?   WRR to replace my KLR? EmptyWed Apr 06, 2016 8:09 pm

6'-2", 195lbs, love it:

WRR to replace my KLR? Greenbrierenduro16%20206
Back to top Go down
Spetz

PostSubject: Re: WRR to replace my KLR?   WRR to replace my KLR? EmptyWed Apr 06, 2016 8:47 pm

Thanks all. That last picture makes the bike look tiny!!

Think I'll put my bike up for sale and see what happens!

Cheers!
Back to top Go down
Diamond K

Diamond K

PostSubject: Re: WRR to replace my KLR?   WRR to replace my KLR? EmptyWed Apr 06, 2016 8:53 pm

LOL,    I thought the same thing too. That's how I look on a TTR 125. Must be the angle of the bank which has him leaning slightly to the left side.  Neat picture!
Back to top Go down
ejfranz1

ejfranz1

PostSubject: Re: WRR to replace my KLR?   WRR to replace my KLR? EmptyWed Apr 06, 2016 11:14 pm

On FSRs the WR will have no problems keeping up with the bigger bikes.
I have ridden with guys who are on Beta 400s, KTMs 690 and the dr650s and KLR750s.
I am 6'2" and 200 lbs and it has no issues. I have doubled my wife and it keeps up with city traffic and has no issues doing 60 mph with the extra weight.
Back to top Go down
VW_Lee

VW_Lee

PostSubject: Re: WRR to replace my KLR?   WRR to replace my KLR? EmptyFri Apr 08, 2016 6:30 pm

The WR is a great Swiss Army Knife of a bike with a lean towards dirt performance.  The biggest downside is the virtual lack of low end power, but a change in gearing has a profound effect.  The six speed transmission makes it possible to have reasonable acceleration while still being able to cruise at highway speeds.  While the WR is a tank compared to a pure dirt bike, you will definitely be able to throw it around a lot more than the KLR.  It's a very fun bike to ride off-pavement, and is reasonably tolerable on the street, although I wouldn't want to spend an entire day on the slab with it (although many people have).

Lee
Back to top Go down
rarepartbuilder

rarepartbuilder

PostSubject: Re: WRR to replace my KLR?   WRR to replace my KLR? EmptySat Apr 09, 2016 9:21 am

I recommend keeping the KLR until you have used the WR on a few trips...and great chance for me to photo bomb this thread... amazon

The KLR is my big picture bike ..the wrr is the zoom in unit for rabbit path trails i spy on the KLR. Having two bikes is not for everyone ...but for camping in comfort i don't travel all that light = KLR for those week long comfy trips.
As others have mentioned the WRR will easily do it all... i just want to keep the 250 as light as possible and the klr will be the tank it already is so to speak... thumb

WRR to replace my KLR? 22371731269_f35422924f_c20151028_151708 by Freewillie KLR, on Flickr

WRR to replace my KLR? 21935700884_9d1ae1a3b1_c20151028_151016 by Freewillie KLR, on Flickr

and little honey...

WRR to replace my KLR? 18821840326_932660fc68_cHPIM3362 by Freewillie KLR, on Flickr

WRR to replace my KLR? 18851358231_f78bdd7158_c20150615_190137 by Freewillie KLR, on Flickr
Back to top Go down
Prairieparson

PostSubject: Re: WRR to replace my KLR?   WRR to replace my KLR? EmptyFri Apr 15, 2016 4:47 pm

I have 7000 miles on my WRR. It does it all and is comfortable for even a 6'4" 200lb guy like myself. I should also add that I am 60+ but the Sarg. seat makes a comfy ride. As the bike has gotten more miles on it, it gets stronger and seems to have no problem holding 70 into the wind, so it will go down the road when you need to. I've had a sport touring bike and a VStrom, but this is still my favorite.
Back to top Go down
darngood1

darngood1

PostSubject: Re: WRR to replace my KLR?   WRR to replace my KLR? EmptyFri Apr 15, 2016 6:18 pm

These guys are all telling it like it is. It's a great all-around D/S, but with a heavy lean towards the off-road nimbleness vs road trips.

It will keep up with most bikes easily on the off-roading side, but isn't going to win any races on long freeway trips. The good news is that it's got enough output so that you can accomplish either very well with a couple sprockets. I run 13/48 most of the time through town and also off-roading. Can easily through on a 14T front sprocket with the same 112 link chain when I know I will on the road at high speeds for a while. That, maybe dial in the suspension to your liking, and possibly a seat upgrade, and you have a do-anything go-anywhere machine.

Used to have a DR650. I'm happier now.

Good luck!
Back to top Go down
rider213

rider213

PostSubject: Re: WRR to replace my KLR?   WRR to replace my KLR? EmptyTue Apr 19, 2016 9:14 pm

6ft-175lbs. Did the KLR thing for 10+ years thru about all it can go thru. Loved that bike (not so much the 2nd gen..didn't crash well). Lots of 2 up, and in knee deep sugar sand ect. Was a blast! Those memories will last forever.

****You have to find a way to test ride a WR250R.

It gets along alot quicker than you'd think for its displacement. Crashes well. Great suspension relative to the KLR. Have only done 2 up on road with this one with combined 290+ pounds. Was big fun.

The Big payoff for me is when riding offroad solo...in how much easier it is to get off your leg/pick up after falling..after being spent from riding in the heart of darkness type stuff. Priceless.

Do use it for 60 mile commute to work whenever I can with no issues (except the no fairing thing :)) Like this one alot.

Test ride...will sell itself usa
Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

PostSubject: Re: WRR to replace my KLR?   WRR to replace my KLR? EmptyTue Apr 19, 2016 9:49 pm

Spetz,

It's always what you're coming off. Since you're coming off a KLR your first impression of the WRR will be that it's underpowered but light and nimble. If you give it time and do some power mods you will likely grow into it.

Remember, the bike runs best at higher revs. If you insist on lugging it (or prefer to ride that way) you will never be happy with it.

Back to top Go down
66T

66T

PostSubject: Re: WRR to replace my KLR?   WRR to replace my KLR? EmptyWed Apr 20, 2016 10:32 pm

gatorfan wrote:
Spetz,

If you insist on lugging it (or prefer to ride that way) you will never be happy with it.

Hmm. Can't really agree with that. Mine spends most of its life in the lower rev range, and I find that, for its capacity, it is a real little trier. Tough to stall etc etc. Even so, gatorfan is right that the bike is happy with revs. Just doesn't really like a million rpm in lower gears and sudden closed throttle, which is its lot in life but hard on cam chains. Due for a new one soon, I think.

Having said that, it's not a roll-on king in any way (it's a 250 - why do people keep comparing it with DRZ400s?), but it gets the job done. Mine is up to 26000km and about 1400 engine hours, which is feeble compared with some owners but enough to work out what it will do.
Back to top Go down
CRFan1

PostSubject: Re: WRR to replace my KLR?   WRR to replace my KLR? EmptyThu Apr 21, 2016 8:08 am

I just sold my Gen 1 KLR for a 2015 WRR and I am very happy with it so far! Surprisingly, the WR actually seems to cruise at 65 much smoother/easier then the KLR but I will not be spending much time on the highway etc. It needs a couple things to be perfect IMO....like a larger gas tank and a gearing change.....but overall, a very fun, easy to work on bike! SO far I have zero regrets.
Back to top Go down
jason meacham

jason meacham

PostSubject: Re: WRR to replace my KLR?   WRR to replace my KLR? EmptyThu Apr 21, 2016 2:59 pm

I am 6'2" and 260lbs.......and who knows how much with helmet@gear on......I have a FMF exhaust,opened up airbox,K+N air cleaner, 13/48 gearing, and run Dunlop 606 tires.............this bike works good for me. I came from a KLR, There are times on the road that I wish I had more power,but the Wrr is better off road. I have dropped my Wrr many times at low speed and have only broken one mirror, I have Acerbis rallypro handguards which do a great job of protecting the bars and levers. I like the fuel injection and better suspension vs. the KLR........hope this helps.
Back to top Go down
JAS4

PostSubject: Re: WRR to replace my KLR?   WRR to replace my KLR? EmptySat Jul 16, 2016 5:28 pm

I'm 6'3" and 195lbs. The bike is a hoot, but I found the cockpit a bit cramped in stock trim. I have a 36" inseam, so I found that lowering the pegs, buying a tall seat, and raising the bars was worthwhile. In my opinion for a guy my size the bike is a great allrounder offroad. I have 13/48 gearing and prefer to keep speeds below 65 mph for maximum enjoyment! No comment on KLRs. Very happy
Back to top Go down
Von551

PostSubject: Re: WRR to replace my KLR?   WRR to replace my KLR? EmptyMon Jul 25, 2016 11:59 pm

Welcome! My buddy and I have a WRR. I'm 5'6" 160 and he's 6'3" 200. Bike works great for both of us. Shows the versatility of the bike. I've ridden the crf250l and it's a dog and the ergonomics are terrible, feels more like a scooter than a dual sport and I'm short! Another buddy has a '09 ktm 690 EnduroR. Surprisingly its power is very manageable. The suspension is very rough though. I have my WRR set almost max compression on forks and his bike is set to the middle Sport setting and it's way more stiff than my bike, pretty harsh actually. You might also want to consider the drz400 if you want more power, but then you're still stuck with old technology in the way of a carb and outdated suspension. I say go with the WRR, you can always mod it to your liking and size! Braaap!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: WRR to replace my KLR?   WRR to replace my KLR? Empty

Back to top Go down

WRR to replace my KLR?
Page 1 of 1