Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

winter storage

Go down 
+4
0007onWR
greer
skierd
mrdoo2
8 posters
AuthorMessage
mrdoo2

winter storage Empty
PostSubject: winter storage   winter storage EmptyThu Nov 05, 2009 1:27 am

so winter is coming and unfortunately i wont ride through it. so what do i need to do for storage? i know i first need to clean it and i read something about filling the gas tank up and putting stabil in it? then check tire pressure, and put it on a stand, but i dont know what to do about oil and oil filter. i will most likely keep it indoors so it will stay at around room temp
Back to top Go down
skierd

winter storage Empty
PostSubject: Re: winter storage   winter storage EmptyThu Nov 05, 2009 1:52 am

Just some thoughts from my karting background, never stored a bike personally as I ride mine all year.

Make sure you put the battery on a tender, ideally off the bike and NOT stored directly on the ground or cold concrete (put some cardboard between it and the floor at the very least to insulate it). I'd put fresh oil and filter in it myself, that way all the crud in the oil doesn't fall out of suspension and sit there corroding the motor or turning to sludge (though I know some of the kart guys store their motors dry... just remember to put oil and a filter back in her in spring!). I'd considering greasing everything too, at least the pivot bolt and dog bone in the rear suspension, if the bike's been through mud and water, again that way water can't sit there and cause havoc over winter. Clean/oil the air filter as well. Lube the chain so it doesn't rust. I don't know that I'd care about setting tire pressures, it'll need air regardless by the time it gets warm out. Having the gas tank full will stop it from rusting, and stabil should stop it from turning to varnish.
Back to top Go down
greer

winter storage Empty
PostSubject: Re: winter storage   winter storage EmptyThu Nov 05, 2009 6:32 am

This probably goes without saying, but I believe you need to run it a bit after adding Stabil to make sure you get the treated gas all thru the fuel system.

Sarah
Back to top Go down
0007onWR

0007onWR

winter storage Empty
PostSubject: Re: winter storage   winter storage EmptyFri Nov 06, 2009 11:31 pm

Yup you're right, that's a good opportunity to dump the oil while it's hot as well
Back to top Go down
mrdoo2

winter storage Empty
PostSubject: Re: winter storage   winter storage EmptyWed Nov 25, 2009 1:07 pm

alright cool thanks, and one more do i fill it completely with oil? that seems like a lot of oil and i dont know why you would but i think i read it somewhere else that you should?
Back to top Go down
0007onWR

0007onWR

winter storage Empty
PostSubject: Re: winter storage   winter storage EmptyFri Nov 27, 2009 12:39 am

Ummmmm......?
What are you going to fill with oil

I meant drain the engine oil while the engine is hot from running the stabil through the fuel system
Back to top Go down
inspector

inspector

winter storage Empty
PostSubject: Re: winter storage   winter storage EmptyFri Nov 27, 2009 1:59 am

Just curious as to why you would leave the oil drained?

*personally I would change it and leave the new stuff in.

**filling the entire crank case would be cool, but if you forget and accidently start it...bad news. I don't think any benifits would make it worth it.
Back to top Go down
mrdoo2

winter storage Empty
PostSubject: Re: winter storage   winter storage EmptySat Nov 28, 2009 12:41 am

yeah i know to drain and put new oil in, but i read that you could fill the engine completely with oil and i was wondering if it was necessary to do that, i was prob going to put stabil in and run it then change the oil, filter, then fill it to normal. just wondering if there was anything else important to do. of course other than the normal lube this and that and clean really well
Back to top Go down
0007onWR

0007onWR

winter storage Empty
PostSubject: Re: winter storage   winter storage EmptySat Nov 28, 2009 12:44 am

LOL
K.... we are experiencing a miscomunication, sorry
I mean "do a hot oil change"
There's no point in filling the engine to the top with oil, if you are a particularly fussy type, you can fog the engine with Fogging oil spray immediately prior to final storage
Back to top Go down
Tammy

Tammy

winter storage Empty
PostSubject: Re: winter storage   winter storage EmptySat Nov 28, 2009 10:57 am

Dump the oil and put in new, put in anything as long as it is new. Dump it before you bring the bike back to life, condensate only happens to a motor that runs in the cold but never gets to a temp to burn off the condensate. Old oil will eat at your motor if you let it sit. Yes it will take yrs for it to do this but for 6.00 in oil why play...

I live in NJ and winter here can dip down into the 0f at times. Most of the winter we're in to 20's and low 30s. All I have is a bike so I ride everyday but we always seem to have one or two good days each month that pays to keep your bike ready to go so you can beat that PMS most people get... If you ride in the woods you feel 20* warmer if not more.. And then there is the snow, ever play in that? make you feel like a kid winter storage 379944
Back to top Go down
mrdoo2

winter storage Empty
PostSubject: Re: winter storage   winter storage EmptyMon Dec 14, 2009 8:23 pm

condensate? im going to store my bike in my house. do i have to drain the new oil in the spring again? 0007 i completely understand what you meant at first, i always ride around my block before i change my oil to warm it up.
Back to top Go down
0007onWR

0007onWR

winter storage Empty
PostSubject: Re: winter storage   winter storage EmptyMon Dec 14, 2009 11:06 pm

I dont change the oil again before the spring, the big thing is to not leave contaminated oil in the bike for a long period of time
The worst mistake people can make (most often it's old timers) is to start the engine and run it once a month
Engines make a LOT of water and all this does is contaminate the oil and exhaust with metals worst enemy
You should also change out all that bad air in the tires Peace YAM
Back to top Go down
trunkingham

winter storage Empty
PostSubject: Re: winter storage   winter storage EmptyMon Dec 28, 2009 4:39 pm

The manual goes on about taking out the spark plug and putting oil in the cylinder to prevent rusting, and I did that on my old XT225 no problem. Looking at the how-to to take out the spark plug, it honestly seems like an hour job right there. Really? Really?

Do you guys bother putting oil down the cylinder for the winter? Or just leave it?
Back to top Go down
skierd

winter storage Empty
PostSubject: Re: winter storage   winter storage EmptyMon Dec 28, 2009 6:27 pm

It may have taken an hour to get the plug replaced, resize the pics, and make the post including some general jackassery that I tend to do when I'm working on the bike. Its a 15-20min job, tops. Its only 2 8mm bolts (seat), 9 5mm allen bolts and 2 flat head screws and you can have the side panels, shrouds, and tank up and out of the way, unplug the coil and pull it out, spark plug socket with extensions long enough to get clearance to turn the ratchet on the plug, use a long funnel or a spray bottle so you don't accidentally push dirt and grime into the plug opening.
Back to top Go down
0007onWR

0007onWR

winter storage Empty
PostSubject: Re: winter storage   winter storage EmptyTue Dec 29, 2009 12:21 am

I never have put oil down the plug hole, but i dont live in a moist climate
I would get "Fogging oil" and just spray it down the intake with the engine running if you are concerned
Back to top Go down
oh2RideMore

winter storage Empty
PostSubject: why store a bike?   winter storage EmptyThu Dec 31, 2009 1:17 am

This bike is so light why not ride year round?
Back to top Go down
mrdoo2

winter storage Empty
PostSubject: Re: winter storage   winter storage EmptyThu Jan 07, 2010 9:27 pm

Way too cold, and everybody else put their bikes away. I would love to ride year round.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

winter storage Empty
PostSubject: Re: winter storage   winter storage Empty

Back to top Go down

winter storage
Page 1 of 1