Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

wrr racing 1 lap of harescramble

Go down 
2 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
paulie1960

wrr racing 1 lap of harescramble Empty
PostSubject: wrr racing 1 lap of harescramble   wrr racing 1 lap of harescramble EmptyMon Oct 31, 2016 6:29 pm

The wr250r setup right does pretty good in a harescramble race, this 1 lap of 5 at neoc cumberland fairgrounds c/senior 40+years old  36 riders on the starting line and I finished 5th
https://youtu.be/bGa2nKiX7GA
Back to top Go down
Elm

PostSubject: Re: wrr racing 1 lap of harescramble   wrr racing 1 lap of harescramble EmptyTue Nov 01, 2016 2:47 am

Excellent . Congratulations. Well ridden. What is " well set up"? Looks like some pretty good suspension. Standard engine or Athena?
Back to top Go down
paulie1960

PostSubject: Re: wrr racing 1 lap of harescramble   wrr racing 1 lap of harescramble EmptyTue Nov 01, 2016 7:49 pm

Elm wrote:
Excellent . Congratulations. Well ridden. What is " well set up"? Looks like some pretty good suspension. Standard engine or Athena?
standard motor just air box mods. and performance filter, put bike on a good diet, but have great suspension racetech gold valves but used my own shim stacks didnt like there shim stacks, lowered 1/2' front and back seems to turn better, last couple of races been using dunlop mx32 front and a kenda k270 rear because I ride on street a lot and tired of changing wore out kenda k760 rears
Back to top Go down
Elm

PostSubject: Re: wrr racing 1 lap of harescramble   wrr racing 1 lap of harescramble EmptyWed Nov 02, 2016 5:55 am

The Adventure Guys here at RideADV run these fronts I think. I certainly turns well but I wouldn't like to use them on the road. I had the same concerns so ponied up for a set of Warp 9 Motard wheels. Easy to swap.
BTW, hit those stutters a bit harder & skim the tops :-)
Back to top Go down
paulie1960

PostSubject: Re: wrr racing 1 lap of harescramble   wrr racing 1 lap of harescramble EmptyWed Nov 02, 2016 7:18 am

One thing about harescramble ther is no practice laps. That first lap is the first time on the track. Plus them whoops were nasty.plus im 56 years old racing with the 40year class
Back to top Go down
paulie1960

PostSubject: Re: wrr racing 1 lap of harescramble   wrr racing 1 lap of harescramble EmptyWed Nov 02, 2016 7:21 am

Them races are fun as hell even at 56 years old
Back to top Go down
paulie1960

PostSubject: Re: wrr racing 1 lap of harescramble   wrr racing 1 lap of harescramble EmptyWed Nov 02, 2016 7:42 am

The fornt mx32 just has 2 races on them no road use. Last front i had the kenda washougal sticky lot of road use great wearing and great dirt tire. My buddy's ltry mx32 so I will try them.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: wrr racing 1 lap of harescramble   wrr racing 1 lap of harescramble EmptyThu Nov 03, 2016 10:37 am

Okay, now I'm inspired. Need to get in better shape over the winter, but I think I'd like to try a hare scramble around here. That was very cool!

I'll be 51 next season, and think it would be a hoot to go do one of those. How long does a race last?
Back to top Go down
paulie1960

PostSubject: Re: wrr racing 1 lap of harescramble   wrr racing 1 lap of harescramble EmptyThu Nov 03, 2016 10:48 am

There 1 hour 35 min. Long so conditioning is number 1. Then you need a comfortable bike seat grips bars suspension
Back to top Go down
paulie1960

PostSubject: Re: wrr racing 1 lap of harescramble   wrr racing 1 lap of harescramble EmptyThu Nov 03, 2016 10:51 am

I bought wrr 2 years ago and just was going to do dual sport rides but got hooked up with younger ridets racers. End every weekend we do single track
Back to top Go down
paulie1960

PostSubject: Re: wrr racing 1 lap of harescramble   wrr racing 1 lap of harescramble EmptyThu Nov 03, 2016 10:56 am

All my riding buddys ride 2 strokes but i thing the small 250 4 stroke is perfect for old guys. You able to ride small bike were the 2 stroke ride you
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: wrr racing 1 lap of harescramble   wrr racing 1 lap of harescramble EmptyThu Nov 03, 2016 2:34 pm

paulie1960 wrote:
There 1 hour 35 min. Long so conditioning is number 1. Then you need a comfortable bike seat grips bars suspension

Have a seat concepts seat I like, go race suspension, pro taper bars and good grips. Better pegs, but I may put on drop pegs. Going to pick up a steering damper this winter.

I raced mx long ago it seems, and I love wide open desert racing. Thinking about the hare scramble in April down south of us by murphy. It's a desert and mixed terrain race. Last year they ran through a creek a bit of the way. Plenty of hills, bumps, jumps and sand.
Back to top Go down
paulie1960

PostSubject: Re: wrr racing 1 lap of harescramble   wrr racing 1 lap of harescramble EmptyThu Nov 03, 2016 3:06 pm

Yea i have seat concepts 1 1/8 bars racetech gold valves pillow grips. But haven't rode dirt bikes since 80's. Conditioning #1 seat time #2 and racing experience #3. Able to ride in traffic
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: wrr racing 1 lap of harescramble   wrr racing 1 lap of harescramble EmptyThu Nov 03, 2016 5:51 pm

I raced open class 2 strokes back in the day.   Then had a hopped up mid 90s kx500 for a few years from 94 to about 97.  Loved that bike.   My friend that rode with me the most rode it,  wrecked it,  gave it back and said "never again". Then he said "I now believe you to be completely insane, don't try to deny it ever again".
Back to top Go down
paulie1960

PostSubject: Re: wrr racing 1 lap of harescramble   wrr racing 1 lap of harescramble EmptyThu Nov 03, 2016 7:47 pm

Traveller wrote:
I raced open class 2 strokes back in the day.   Then had a hopped up mid 90s kx500 for a few years from 94 to about 97.  Loved that bike.   My friend that rode with me the most rode it,  wrecked it,  gave it back and said "never again".   Then he said "I now believe you to be completely insane, don't try to deny it ever again".
Never rode a 500 2 stroke but I rode a 1993 cr250 and thought that was way to much for me, I owned a 76 it400 what a beast, I like the wrr 4 stroke so easy to ride fast.
Back to top Go down
paulie1960

PostSubject: Re: wrr racing 1 lap of harescramble   wrr racing 1 lap of harescramble EmptyThu Nov 03, 2016 7:53 pm

Taveller, dont wait enter a harescamble try it and you will find some racing freinds and you be hooked, Im just wished I didnt wait till I was 54 to start
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: wrr racing 1 lap of harescramble   wrr racing 1 lap of harescramble EmptyThu Nov 03, 2016 8:57 pm

May just give it a shot. I really have missed racing over the years. I had a good time when I was doing it, but that was awhile ago. May need to work out this winter.
Back to top Go down
Elm

PostSubject: Re: wrr racing 1 lap of harescramble   wrr racing 1 lap of harescramble EmptyFri Nov 04, 2016 2:26 am

Loving this thread. So many great stories and promises to give it a go. I too love the WRR after 40 years road racing including international challenge (Now 65 years young) I gave it up last year and am now an off road convert. ;-)
Back to top Go down
paulie1960

PostSubject: Re: wrr racing 1 lap of harescramble   wrr racing 1 lap of harescramble EmptyFri Nov 04, 2016 9:30 am

I know its in our blood competition.al my family and friends don't understand and thing im insane. My only regret i should of done it years ago
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: wrr racing 1 lap of harescramble   wrr racing 1 lap of harescramble EmptyFri Nov 04, 2016 10:11 am

Been drag racing the last 4 years or so which is fun, but dirt riding is more fun. Just been club racing 6-7 races a year (bracket racing for car clubs). It's not the same. Need to build a faster car or get back into dirt racing.
Back to top Go down
paulie1960

PostSubject: Re: wrr racing 1 lap of harescramble   wrr racing 1 lap of harescramble EmptyFri Nov 04, 2016 10:28 am

Car racing is expensive. Dirt bikes ate much cheaper
Back to top Go down
paulie1960

PostSubject: Re: wrr racing 1 lap of harescramble   wrr racing 1 lap of harescramble EmptyFri Nov 04, 2016 10:32 am

One other tip on harescramble racing you suspension has to be setup it should suck up a 4" stump you cant see and not not bottom out on hardest hits
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: wrr racing 1 lap of harescramble   wrr racing 1 lap of harescramble EmptyFri Nov 04, 2016 2:40 pm

I'm pretty impressed with the Go-Race suspension setup. It's about as good as I feel it will get, without replacing front shocks and rear shock completely. It works quite well at 75+ in the desert. WAY, way better than stock. It's not as plush as the off-road only bikes, but it's raceable. Better than the stuff I rode on in the 70's, not quite as good as the KX was. However, it's packing 65-70 more lbs.

The bike will need to go on a diet before I take it racing.

Car racing isn't bad, as long as you build a 13ish second car that doesn't break. The faster you go, the more likely it is that you'll break parts. I have a low compression 360 in an old AMC Hornet hatchback that runs 13.48-13.70 depending on DA. It runs on 87 octane, doesn't matter if it's E10 or ethanol free. It's cheap to race. However, I stole parts off of it to finish my restomod Hornet hatchback, and now the good rear axle is on that car with the silent locker and forged axles, but I digress. May get rid of the orange car next spring, finish the blue car and put a steering damper on the WR.
Back to top Go down
paulie1960

PostSubject: Re: wrr racing 1 lap of harescramble   wrr racing 1 lap of harescramble EmptyFri Nov 04, 2016 4:13 pm

I put my on a diet,took eveything off, Put a polisport front lite because roost keep breaking my head lite. Drz rear lite led binkers even cut rear sub frame off, changed any thing metal to aluminum brackets. in highschool I bought a 68 z28 with a blown motor put a 283 junkyard motor put the cam snd intake off old motor and it ran n 13.03 this was in 1977 only paid 600 for car. wish i still had
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: wrr racing 1 lap of harescramble   wrr racing 1 lap of harescramble EmptyFri Nov 04, 2016 5:23 pm

I've been using the thick headlight film we have in our detail department at the dealership. So far, no cracked headlights. Not sure how that will hold up in a race. Maybe just run a cover over it. I'll leave the horn hooked up. That just kills me on the videos of people racing. Run up on them in a corner and honk the horn. Too funny.

I'm running the orange car at a DA of 2600 or higher. Usually 3500-4000. Sea level time on the car should be in the 12.90's to 13.00's. It's a fun car to race, as it's pretty quiet with a full exhaust on it, and mostly what people hear is the carb opening up when I launch. Got my 100 MPH stickers last year with it. The motor is a '75 era 360 AMC, which has the stock low compression pistons still in it. I put bearings in the bottom end, then resealed it. I rebuilt the heads and did a little bowl work (it's what I do on the side). Still the stock valves, still the 30 degree intake seat angle. Little heavier springs and a tiny 204/214 @.050 cam with .448 lift. Sounds stock, idles smooth at 600 in gear. 8.2:1 compression, runs on anything I put in it. The difference between ethanol free and E10 seems to be about .003-.004. Not enough to even be concerned about. Drive it to the track, clean off the tires, have fun. I only run a 3.54 gear in it. Right now it has the stock 3.15 back under it. That's a good combo for street and play, as the AMC cars usually only run 25.5-26" tires. 3.15 is like a 3.55 in a Ford/Chrysler. Fun little beat around car.

I have another one, but it's a lot nicer. It's been mostly gone through from front to rear. Couple more things to do to it and I'll be happy with it. Need to install A/C, fuel injection (throttle body aftermarket) and dial in a couple things. Also want custom door and interior panels.
It's a fun little car with a custom 304 I built for it. Smooth and peppy little 340-350HP toy. It runs pretty darn well, and has overdrive. It was built for a fun little driver, but it turned out pretty nice and feels faster than the other one. It's headed to the track in the spring to see if it will run.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: wrr racing 1 lap of harescramble   wrr racing 1 lap of harescramble Empty

Back to top Go down

wrr racing 1 lap of harescramble
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next