Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Engine dies when abruptly applying throttle

Go down 
+3
YZEtc
owen905
CRFan1
7 posters
AuthorMessage
owen905

Engine dies when abruptly applying throttle Empty
PostSubject: Engine dies when abruptly applying throttle   Engine dies when abruptly applying throttle EmptyTue Dec 06, 2016 11:17 pm

Just got a 2008 WR250x.

When I abruptly apply the throttle, the engine dies. If I slowly roll on, it revs up as normal. If you abruptly apply the throttle with the revs already a bit higher than idle, then it hesitates but does not die.

The previous user has a FMF power programmer with a FMF Q4 full system. I thought I might have changed the settings by accident and caused this, so I disconnected the programmer. It's still doing it.

I can fix things if I know what the problem is...but I have no idea what's causing this.

Any idea where to start?

Thanks!...trying to get this going for some ice racing this winter!!!
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: Engine dies when abruptly applying throttle   Engine dies when abruptly applying throttle EmptyWed Dec 07, 2016 3:46 am

Does it do this while actually riding the bike?
Back to top Go down
owen905

PostSubject: Re: Engine dies when abruptly applying throttle   Engine dies when abruptly applying throttle EmptyWed Dec 07, 2016 10:56 am

YZEtc wrote:
Does it do this while actually riding the bike?

It does it while in gear at a stand still (clutch in, obviously) from idle.

I don't remember exactly what happens while moving, but i'm pretty sure it does. That's only when the throttle is abruptly opened from the full closed position though. I'm pretty sure it's okay if the throttle is say at %30 then abruptly opened. A slow feed and it's fine.

I'll have to double check how it reacts while riding though.
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: Engine dies when abruptly applying throttle   Engine dies when abruptly applying throttle EmptyWed Dec 07, 2016 6:17 pm

If it works fine while riding, it may be normal.
If it hesitates or cuts out while riding, not normal.
Back to top Go down
owen905

PostSubject: Re: Engine dies when abruptly applying throttle   Engine dies when abruptly applying throttle EmptyWed Dec 07, 2016 8:36 pm

This definitely isn't normal. I've never had a bike, either carbonated or EFI, that has dropped RPM and dies when you quickly snap the throttle open.
Back to top Go down
CRFan1

PostSubject: Re: Engine dies when abruptly applying throttle   Engine dies when abruptly applying throttle EmptyThu Dec 08, 2016 10:19 am

Sounds like it is too lean at idle.....maybe adjust the CO settings (search the forum on how too). It is possible somebody messed with it and leaned it out to much which would cause that issue.
Back to top Go down
owen905

PostSubject: Re: Engine dies when abruptly applying throttle   Engine dies when abruptly applying throttle EmptyThu Dec 08, 2016 3:06 pm

CRFan1 wrote:
Sounds like it is too lean at idle.....maybe adjust the CO settings (search the forum on how too).  It is possible somebody messed with it and leaned it out to much which would cause that issue.

Thanks! I'll look in to this and report back.
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: Engine dies when abruptly applying throttle   Engine dies when abruptly applying throttle EmptyThu Dec 08, 2016 6:40 pm

If you find a problem and fix it, come back here and post the reason and results.
Back to top Go down
Elm

PostSubject: Re: Engine dies when abruptly applying throttle   Engine dies when abruptly applying throttle EmptyTue Dec 13, 2016 5:00 am

CRFan1 wrote:
Sounds like it is too lean at idle.....maybe adjust the CO settings (search the forum on how too).  It is possible somebody messed with it and leaned it out to much which would cause that issue.

+1. Exactly what to expect if too lean.
Back to top Go down
morgan9283

PostSubject: Re: Engine dies when abruptly applying throttle   Engine dies when abruptly applying throttle EmptyTue Dec 13, 2016 2:15 pm

I would also check your idle--my WR was prone to stalling in general until I turned the idle up a bit. I don't have the spec in front of me but the WR idling at spec sounds a little fast to me.

-morgan
Back to top Go down
Jens Eskildsen

PostSubject: Re: Engine dies when abruptly applying throttle   Engine dies when abruptly applying throttle EmptyWed Dec 14, 2016 3:37 pm

Lean often gives an errativ high idle, where rich (also) makes it stumble. A bike that is rich in the low register, will idle worse when warm

Do the basics with fresh plug, newly serviced airfilter ect, before you try to diagnose the problem.

Is there any faultcodes logged in the computer?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Engine dies when abruptly applying throttle   Engine dies when abruptly applying throttle EmptyWed Dec 14, 2016 3:58 pm

Just read through this. Did the last owner remove the air box flapper and vacuum motor for it? There's a small hose that controls that, and it attaches to a nipple on the intake between the throttle body and cylinder head. If that's open, it's a vacuum leak. There's supposed to be a vacuum plug installed when you remove the air box flapper control. Even if it was installed initially, they tend to crack with heat and time and will then leak. If the flapper is gone, I'd check that brass nipple first and make sure there's an intact cap on it. It's hard to see, because it's up high and under the fuel tank (on top of the adapter that bolts to the head).
Back to top Go down
riq1223

PostSubject: Re: Engine dies when abruptly applying throttle   Engine dies when abruptly applying throttle EmptySun Dec 22, 2019 12:43 pm

Anyone know what the issue was? I am having the same problem. My big gun exhaust broke ( the perforated pipe inside it broke. I temporarily welded a straight pipe inside of it. So 1/4 perforated pipe and 3/4 straight pipe). It was running fine for about 60km. It was just louder. But then I stopped and when I snapped the throttle, it hesitates and dies. If I slowly get on it up to full throttle, it's fine. Bike is currently in Africa so parts are a bit scared. Any help would be much appreciated.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Engine dies when abruptly applying throttle   Engine dies when abruptly applying throttle Empty

Back to top Go down

Engine dies when abruptly applying throttle
Page 1 of 1