Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

BETA 350RR/390RR VS WRR - What makes the WRR better for you?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Yamabro57

Yamabro57

BETA 350RR/390RR VS WRR - What makes the WRR better for you? Empty
PostSubject: BETA 350RR/390RR VS WRR - What makes the WRR better for you?   BETA 350RR/390RR VS WRR - What makes the WRR better for you? EmptySun Jan 01, 2017 9:21 pm

Looking for some help choosing between the WRR and the Betas.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: BETA 350RR/390RR VS WRR - What makes the WRR better for you?   BETA 350RR/390RR VS WRR - What makes the WRR better for you? EmptySun Jan 01, 2017 10:41 pm

Depends what it's for. For dual sport or street, the wrr has some advantages.

1. Yamaha reliability
2. Long maintenance intervals.
3. Super smooth at highway speeds
4. Longer range/carry less fuel/carry more luggage
5. Lower seat height
Bottom line more practical and convenient

For trails, if the Beta is anything like my Sherco, it rules.
1. Suspension and handling much more compliant and precise.
2. Much lighter
3. More power, everywhere
Bottom line more fun

With that said, if I could only have one bike it would be the wrr, even though I luv trails. The Beta may be better for dual sport than my Sherco.
Back to top Go down
wwguy

wwguy

PostSubject: Re: BETA 350RR/390RR VS WRR - What makes the WRR better for you?   BETA 350RR/390RR VS WRR - What makes the WRR better for you? EmptyMon Jan 02, 2017 11:39 am

Well, to be fair, it's worth pointing out from the start that you're comparing a 350/390 cc enduro bike to a 250 cc dual-sport bike, so there are going to be a lot of differences in design and rider use criteria right off the bat.  But I'll play along for a bit.

I bought a Beta 300 Xtrainer 2-stroke last year and absolutely love it for technical off-road woods riding.  So much so that I've pondered selling my beloved WR250R and getting a plated Beta 4-stroke enduro bike to replace it.  I especially like that the Beta 350 4- strokes are 60 lbs or so lighter than the WR250R.   But here's why I can't bring myself to do it:

• The WR250R MSRP is $2700 less than a Beta 350 RR.
  • WR250R oil change intervals are 3000 miles and valve adjustment checks are recommended at 26000 mile intervals.  For the Beta oil change and valve check intervals are every 30 hours.  If you ride 60 MPH that's about every 1800 miles.  It's much less than that if you ride slower for off-road riding.
  • Yamaha's design and build quality is unparalleled. Beta's basic design (engine and chassis) are great but they struggle with fit and finish in areas like electrical system design (their molex electrical connectors are terrible for this type of use) and component materials.  For example Beta's body plastics are the most brittle I've ever seen on any motorcycle ever.  After 50 hours on my Xtrainer I had broken the front fender, rear fender, and both side cowlings.  I've dropped my WRR similarly and the plastics just bend temporarily instead of breaking.
  • Yamaha has 10 models years of very successful history with the WR250R.  Design is virtually the same now as in the 2008.  Some people say that means the WR250R is using "dated technology", but nobody else is offering anything significantly better.
  • There's a huge loyal following for the WR250R, resulting in an incredibly wide and diverse knowledge base and offering  of aftermarket parts.
  • Yamaha's dealer and service network is huge.  Comparatively, Beta's dealer network is still in it's infancy.

On the other hand, if I was in the market for a 4-stroke enduro or woods bike I'd probably look at a Beta 350 RR before a WR250F or WR450F.

Last edited by wwguy on Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:21 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

PostSubject: Re: BETA 350RR/390RR VS WRR - What makes the WRR better for you?   BETA 350RR/390RR VS WRR - What makes the WRR better for you? EmptyMon Jan 02, 2017 4:39 pm

I have a plated 2010 Beta 520RR and a WR250R.

The Beta definitely has the power advantage over the WRR and can be a blast to ride.

However...

After having the WRR suspension done by GoRace I hardly ride the Beta anymore. Most of my DS rides tend to be long and I am carrying a good bit of gear with me and that is where the WRR with the steel subframe shines.

If we are doing more basecamp type stuff with out having to load up the bikes then the Beta is my choice.

As it stands now I am probably going to sell my Beta since I just don't ride it that often.
Back to top Go down
Yamabro57

Yamabro57

PostSubject: Re: BETA 350RR/390RR VS WRR - What makes the WRR better for you?   BETA 350RR/390RR VS WRR - What makes the WRR better for you? EmptyThu Jan 05, 2017 10:48 pm

Went with the 2017WR, Haven't gotten to ride it yet.
I'll let you know what I think in a week or so.

Thanks for the help!
Back to top Go down
coeywong88

PostSubject: Re: BETA 350RR/390RR VS WRR - What makes the WRR better for you?   BETA 350RR/390RR VS WRR - What makes the WRR better for you? EmptyFri Jan 06, 2017 3:35 am

Yamabro57 wrote:
Went with moving service the 2017WR, Haven't gotten to ride it yet.
I'll let you know what I think in a week or so.

Thanks for the help!

I still thinking too :)

Last edited by coeywong88 on Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
johnkol

PostSubject: Re: BETA 350RR/390RR VS WRR - What makes the WRR better for you?   BETA 350RR/390RR VS WRR - What makes the WRR better for you? EmptyTue Jan 17, 2017 11:23 pm

coeywong88 wrote:
I still thinking too :)

Really, these two bikes are not comparable. The choice should be clear depending on the intended use:

1. If the bike will be used mainly off-road, and the only on-road capabilities needed are to get to the trailhead and connect trails, then get the Beta: its low weight, superior suspension, and more powerful engine will give you much more confidence in the dirt, and allow you to enjoy off-roading a lot more. In such an environment the weight of the WRR is a big liability, and its superior reliability does not offer a distinct advantage.

2. If the bike will be used mainly for street riding (especially touring) and occasional trail riding, then get the WRR: the minimal maintenance required makes it the most light weight adventure bike. You will not enjoy it as much off-road, but it will more than make up for this on the tarmac.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: BETA 350RR/390RR VS WRR - What makes the WRR better for you?   BETA 350RR/390RR VS WRR - What makes the WRR better for you? Empty

Back to top Go down

BETA 350RR/390RR VS WRR - What makes the WRR better for you?
Page 1 of 1