Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

2009 Year in Review -OR- Where is ZED?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
ZED

ZED

2009 Year in Review -OR- Where is ZED? Empty
PostSubject: 2009 Year in Review -OR- Where is ZED?   2009 Year in Review -OR- Where is ZED? EmptyFri Nov 20, 2009 12:54 am

I haven't been around much lately and figured I best set the record straight that the rumours of my death have been greatly exaggerated. deal

One of the benefits of my job is that I do the project planning and resource scheduling. That means that I can often put off big things until fall so that they don't impact motorcycling/traveling season as much as they might.

The down side to this is that once fall comes, the flood gates open and we get swamped. Between renovations on our house and renovations on our primary product at work, I'm more than full time occupied day and night. That is the reason I have not been around much. I expect to be away from the forum with only the occasional checkin until spring. Until then I will leave it up to the other regulars who are doing as fine a job as usual at bantering. Very happy Meanwhile, here is a collection of images from our 2009 year in review.

2009 saw a decrease in motorcycle trips and mileage. This was partly due to poor weather at the start of the season and a major landscaping project at the house. Our ~14x22' deck was completely rotten and had to be levelled - it has now been replaced with a smaller Trex specimen and a raised brick patio.

We did something new this summer. Normally we subscribe to the motto of "If this bike is in the back of a truck it's been stolen!". However, with the little ~= 250cc dual sports the thought of crossing the Rockies fully loaded with touring gear was not a pleasant one.

2009 Year in Review -OR- Where is ZED? IMG_0218
So we actually trucked the little XT225 and WR250X in the back of the Unimog and went out to B.C. where we participated in the revelry known as the Kootenay Borsch and Burn.

2009 Year in Review -OR- Where is ZED? IMG_0501
We then proceeded to spend a week motarding through some great trails in the Kootenays.
(full trip report on that can be found under trip reports->motarding in the kootenays 2009 on our web site@ http://www.volkswagenhaven.net)

2009 Year in Review -OR- Where is ZED? KES_5290
KLRChickie finally got her purple Monster. Well, it was actually silver, but we painted it so now it's purple. :)

2009 Year in Review -OR- Where is ZED? Colriverpower
We did our annual trip to Oregon. Highway 14 on the Washington side of the Columbia River is a somewhat scenic way to bypass some of the more dismal parts of the state. There are a number of dams on the river as it is a major source of power generation for both Canada and the United States. This is a bit before the Dalles. You can see the giant wind mills in the distance. There's a lot of those around here for a reason. It can be awfully windy much of the time.

2009 Year in Review -OR- Where is ZED? Nwmf09_parade-1
Our annual trip to Oregon was planned to coincide with North-West MogFest which was the 10th annual event this year. There were a lot of trucks of all varieties of European ancestry both large and small. Here they are lined up for the parade and group photo. Our Unimog stayed at home and we rode motorcycles to the event.

2009 Year in Review -OR- Where is ZED? Nwmf09_parade-2
Here's a nice clean example of a Unimog in safety Orange. It may look like a Tonka toy but don't let that fool you. He can look a Kenworth driver in the eye at a stop light!

2009 Year in Review -OR- Where is ZED? NWMF-2009
A typical camp scene when we're touring in the U.S. People usually seem very friendly when they know you're from 'forn' parts.

2009 Year in Review -OR- Where is ZED? Imnaha
One place we usually head through when down in the U.S. is Joseph, Oregon and head North to Washington through Rattlesnake Pass. This year we spent some extra time on a detour that took us to Imnaha, Oregon. It's a delightful twisty region just North of Hells Canyon. The pavement ends just past Imnaha, but looking at the maps and the satellite views the area should be fantastic for dual sports.

2009 Year in Review -OR- Where is ZED? Cold_wrx
We had hoped that the late spring would mean a late fall, but alas, it was not the case. Riding came to an abrupt end in September with snow and cold for weeks and all through October.

2009 Year in Review -OR- Where is ZED? Z1000_sprinter
This year we finally succumbed to getting a 'slightly' more conventional motorcycle hauler. Here's a picture of the Z1000 being transported to its winter storage. Looks can be deceiving. The interior space here is 5.5'x5.5'x8.5' It will cary two dual sports and gear easily.

What is it????…

2009 Year in Review -OR- Where is ZED? Smart_sprinter-1
It's a smart-for-eight!

2009 Year in Review -OR- Where is ZED? Smart_sprinter-2
It's also known as a Sprinter. It's a 3/4 ton van manufactured by Mercedes and branded by Dodge. This one happens to be the smallest Sprinter model ever made but it fits bikes, get's good milage, has air conditioning, and has a torquey turbo-Diesel. thumb
It should be handy for setting up a base camp on dual sport trips to the South. Very happy

And now, one of the main reasons I'm not around much this winter...

2009 Year in Review -OR- Where is ZED? House_renovations
House Renovations. We're replacing all the carpet and linoleum in the house with hardwood and tile. All the sub-flooring requires various amounts of repairs and preparation. So, when I'm not working 10+ hours per day, we're puttering at this.

We'll probably resurface in early spring when the cabin fever hits hard. Maybe we'll load the bikes in the Sprinter and head for Moab or somewhere. Who knows, but you can be sure there will be pictures and a report… wink
Back to top Go down
YamWOW!
Admin
YamWOW!

PostSubject: Re: 2009 Year in Review -OR- Where is ZED?   2009 Year in Review -OR- Where is ZED? EmptySat Nov 21, 2009 12:48 am

Area looks familiar. 2009 Year in Review -OR- Where is ZED? 61865

PostSubject: Re: 2009 Year in Review -OR- Where is ZED?   2009 Year in Review -OR- Where is ZED? EmptySat Nov 21, 2009 8:35 am

ZED wrote:

2009 Year in Review -OR- Where is ZED? Colriverpower

This is cool picture! :) Do you have anywhere little bigger picture on this? I wont to this picture on my windows background...
Back to top Go down
ZED

ZED

PostSubject: Re: 2009 Year in Review -OR- Where is ZED?   2009 Year in Review -OR- Where is ZED? EmptySat Nov 21, 2009 12:22 pm

awen wrote:

This is cool picture! :) Do you have anywhere little bigger picture on this? I wont to this picture on my windows background...
Thanks. PM me your e-mail address and I'll send you the full size version.
Back to top Go down
ZED

ZED

PostSubject: Re: 2009 Year in Review -OR- Where is ZED?   2009 Year in Review -OR- Where is ZED? EmptySat Nov 21, 2009 12:28 pm

YamWOW! wrote:
Area looks familiar. 2009 Year in Review -OR- Where is ZED? 61865

I bet. I read the report about your trip to the Oregon desert with great interest as about the time you and your gang were down there Dual sporting, we were passing through on Ducatis. We're thinking some more dual sport in that area next year for sure.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 2009 Year in Review -OR- Where is ZED?   2009 Year in Review -OR- Where is ZED? Empty

Back to top Go down

2009 Year in Review -OR- Where is ZED?
Page 1 of 1