Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Wanting to purchase used bike with 7500 miles... Thoughts

Go down 
+3
MeefZah
johnkol
Mike Baker
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Mike Baker

Wanting to purchase used bike with 7500 miles... Thoughts Empty
PostSubject: Wanting to purchase used bike with 7500 miles... Thoughts   Wanting to purchase used bike with 7500 miles... Thoughts EmptyTue Feb 06, 2018 9:39 pm

So I've been reading all the different articles and a wealth of information by all of you WR owners. I'm looking at a 2011 with about 7500 miles, bike seems to look and run well... What things should I look for and what is a fair price in California???? Again Thanks
Back to top Go down
johnkol

PostSubject: Re: Wanting to purchase used bike with 7500 miles... Thoughts   Wanting to purchase used bike with 7500 miles... Thoughts EmptyTue Feb 06, 2018 11:31 pm

Difficult to tell. Dealer or private party? What is the actual condition of the bike? Babied on city roads, or thrashed off-road? Any expensive mods on it?

Since there is no real off-season in California (particularly with the kind of weather we have been having lately), I would expect a price range between $4k and $5k.
Back to top Go down
MeefZah

MeefZah

PostSubject: Re: Wanting to purchase used bike with 7500 miles... Thoughts   Wanting to purchase used bike with 7500 miles... Thoughts EmptyWed Feb 07, 2018 12:44 pm

$4000 give or take, stock.  More for mods.  Less for a thrashed model.

By point of comparison, I just drove to LA and bought a bone stock, street ridden only, 2008 with 10,000 miles on it from a dealer for $2700 ($3250 OTD with tags and tax).

If you look in Flea Market on ADV or in the classifieds here, there are several 2008-2016 WRRs for sale ranging from $2800 - $5000.  Most of those prices seems fair given mileage, year, and mods of the respective bikes.

I'd listen to it on cold start up, make sure there's no cam chain noise and it sounds "right", look at the bottom of the swingarm for chew marks from the chain, check the forks for leakage, check for crash damage (rear subframe straight?), a general once over... but these things are pretty bulletproof.  At 7000+ miles it's most likely past the point of having the fuel pump fail so I wouldn't worry about that.  There's some concern about the stators also but I have never replaced one (owned 4 WRRs) and it's a non issue as far as I'm concerned.  No way to "check it" prior to buying anyway.

Back to top Go down
Mike Baker

PostSubject: Re: Wanting to purchase used bike with 7500 miles... Thoughts   Wanting to purchase used bike with 7500 miles... Thoughts EmptyFri Feb 09, 2018 9:02 pm

The bike is in overall good condition, gentleman has done mostly dirt riding so it has larger rear sprocket, bark busters, tail rack with bag, pro taper bars, and two extra rear tires.... A few scratches from trail riding on plastic but that doesn't bother me, shooting for the $3500 price point...
Back to top Go down
mostexcellentdude

mostexcellentdude

PostSubject: Re: Wanting to purchase used bike with 7500 miles... Thoughts   Wanting to purchase used bike with 7500 miles... Thoughts EmptySat Feb 10, 2018 12:19 pm

Mike Baker wrote:
The bike is in overall good condition, gentleman has done mostly dirt riding so it has larger rear sprocket, bark busters, tail rack with bag, pro taper bars, and two extra rear tires.... A few scratches from trail riding on plastic but that doesn't bother me, shooting for the $3500 price point...

Sounds like a good deal to me. I just bought a mint and mostly stock 2013 with 7,500 miles on it here in Colorado for $4k. Go for it!
Back to top Go down
VW_Lee

VW_Lee

PostSubject: Re: Wanting to purchase used bike with 7500 miles... Thoughts   Wanting to purchase used bike with 7500 miles... Thoughts EmptySat Feb 10, 2018 1:09 pm

Everything MeefZah mentioned is spot on, especially the part about the bottom of the swingarm. Do an Internet search on WR250R swingarm chain damage and you will find a TON of information. My solution was to go to a DID 520 Vx2 X-ring chain and keep it adjusted properly, but there will time to discuss stuff like that once you have the bike.

I've had my '13 WR since new, and it now has 12,000 miles on it and runs as well as it did the day I bought it. I did have the stator fail near Big Bear a couple years ago, so I would make sure the recall has been done on that. It's a safety recall, so it shouldn't cost anything to have a dealer do the job.

It sounds like the bike you're looking at has lots of good stuff on it, and the price you're going after sounds real good. I hope it works out!

Lee
Back to top Go down
Mike Baker

PostSubject: Re: Wanting to purchase used bike with 7500 miles... Thoughts   Wanting to purchase used bike with 7500 miles... Thoughts EmptySun Feb 18, 2018 11:57 am

Well guys, I'm proud to say that the new bike is in the garage.... Gathering the parts for a full service to start out fresh.
This little bike is truly a kick in the ass to drive...
Back to top Go down
VW_Lee

VW_Lee

PostSubject: Re: Wanting to purchase used bike with 7500 miles... Thoughts   Wanting to purchase used bike with 7500 miles... Thoughts EmptyMon Feb 19, 2018 1:18 pm

Cool, congratulations! You're really going to enjoy that bike.

Lee
Back to top Go down
Unicycle Santa

Unicycle Santa

PostSubject: Re: Wanting to purchase used bike with 7500 miles... Thoughts   Wanting to purchase used bike with 7500 miles... Thoughts EmptyMon Apr 09, 2018 5:38 pm

I just picked up a 2008 with 12k miles on it for 3400. It has a programmer, exhaust, speedo healer, new seat, new tires, some levers and stuff, and came with like 200 in extras. Im in san diego and its extremely hard to find any supermotos here let alone a WR. The few that have been on the market have been over 5 grand. I say you are getting a good deal if you can get it for 4000.
Back to top Go down
jamiemm18

PostSubject: Re: Wanting to purchase used bike with 7500 miles... Thoughts   Wanting to purchase used bike with 7500 miles... Thoughts EmptyMon Apr 09, 2018 10:22 pm

I recently bought a 2016 used. I found a youtube video called how to buy a used wr250. I put the video on my phone, ear buds in my ear and followed the entire thing while the guy sat in his driveway. I probably looked like I knew what I was doing... but I confessed to the video minutes after. I also gave mine a full service after I brought it home - new spark plug, air filter, oil, k&n oil filter, dumped the gas, fogged the fuel system with seafoam through the air box, regreased my steering bearings, wheel bearings, swing arm bearings and the linkage bearings. It was honestly exhausting but for a bike that needs little maintenance to begin with, this thing should be sweet for a while, especially if I stay away from the power washer. The bike has 1500 miles and I'll put less than 500 per year so I dont expect to do anything else except oil, filter and air filter. If you have any questions about that stuff, let me know as its fresh in my mind. Good luck
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wanting to purchase used bike with 7500 miles... Thoughts   Wanting to purchase used bike with 7500 miles... Thoughts Empty

Back to top Go down

Wanting to purchase used bike with 7500 miles... Thoughts
Page 1 of 1