Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

First State WRR

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
BeeAlk

First State WRR Empty
PostSubject: First State WRR   First State WRR EmptyMon May 14, 2018 4:31 pm

Hi all. I'm new here and wanted to introduce my bike and myself, hailing from the pits of the mid-atlantic in the northern bump of the First State. A few months back I picked up a new to me '08 wrr. I ultimately chose it because it was equipped with the full getup of Go Race suspension goodies and was tuned for my weight + gear weight. PERFECT.

Here she is when I brought her home.
First State WRR MtBttTM

Didn't take long before I stripped her down. Not much time for foreplay in my garage:
First State WRR Edn79Oc

I first started by wiring in grip warmers, USB charger/voltmeter, and a light controller (more on that later). But first, I had to make some room for a fused panel to do things the right way, so I got rid of a bunch of useless junk under the seat:
First State WRR O00kES4
First State WRR D1zlUrY
First State WRR NXqyYiY

Then it was time for new grips, levers and a faster throttle tube:
First State WRR GoEeZn6
First State WRR CSLkjE5

Then I found out that the cheap hand guards that the bike came equipped with were not actually secured into the handlebar ends as the expanding nut inside the bars were stripped. I couldn't get the left nut out, so I had to get creative. I kicked the thing right over and out came the nut :). I replaced the guards with some Cycra parts but failed to snag a photo.
First State WRR 4dhIhbh

Finally warm enough to get my first ride in:
First State WRR UElMtoj

I ended up riding home in the dark that night and I knew my next priority. Headlight upgrade! The stock one... how is that even street legal? Maybe it's safe enough for below 25mph speeds.. Anyway, I started messing around with some ideas. I was going to use my spare Husky headlamp and retrofit with a HID projector. But ultimately I decided against it because of past reliability issues I've had with HIDs and the lack of space for the necessary components.
First State WRR UnY7lp2

So I decided to try something else:
First State WRR NejxY54
First State WRR 7O52xld
First State WRR Dz3Ealn

I rigged it up using a Skene light controller. It's wired to the factory hi/lo switch and operates at 50%/100% brightness, and also allows for a very conspicuous series of flashes if I flip the switch twice in one second. Works brilliantly. Much brighter and only 16w of power being used instead of 55w.
First State WRR HEM3Vp1

Finally it was time to do some real riding. I threw on some new wolfmans (love them), loaded her up and set out on a 350mi weekend, 100mi dirt and 250mi back roads. I camped in Michaux State Forest in PA for a couple nights.
First State WRR PM24IVZ
First State WRR MoiylcZ
First State WRR 7cCYpPI
First State WRR LXC4r9Z
First State WRR WA3LOkf

Crossed over the Appalachian trail:
First State WRR PgGEZ8F

I got back home with some new priorities again. Needs more fuel! Decided on the IMS 3 gallon tank for the standard reasons people choose it. I'll also be bringing some Primus bottles on the longer, more remote rides when needed.
First State WRR DYKlQ06

Now with all these fundamentals taken care of, I'm shifting over to caring a bit about how she looks. I'm converting over to black and blue when I see decent deals pop up, ditching the white stuff, and giving some TLC wherever I can:
First State WRR JIa6EQ5
First State WRR InFScyu
First State WRR QUZRT3y

And that's where things currently stand. I plan to continually update this thread as I do more work or go on more adventures with the wrr. So far I have to say I'm thrilled with the machine. I rode a newer wrr in some tight single track and some difficult terrain and what really stood out to me was the lackluster suspension behavior. The Go Race parts make it feel like a completely different bike.

Thanks for looking! thumb
Back to top Go down
DPete

DPete

First State WRR Empty
PostSubject: Re: First State WRR   First State WRR EmptyMon May 14, 2018 7:11 pm

Sounds like you're getting it dialed in, ride on
Back to top Go down
BeeAlk

First State WRR Empty
PostSubject: Re: First State WRR   First State WRR EmptyTue May 15, 2018 1:55 pm

I've noticed a lot of people complain about their bash plates on the wrr reverberating a lot of noise and sending it directly up to the rider's ears. Some say it's tolerable, others say it's not. I fall into the intolerable group. To me it sounded like someone threw a handful of pennies into a tin coffee can and put it inside a paint shaker. I haven't seen it described that way, but whatever.

Anyway, I pulled off the bash plate to install some foam to isolate it from the frame. Hmm, what is this??? Not pennies but...

First State WRR NUjVLWY

I wonder if this is the case of the PO dropping a box of washers over his bike or a prank by one of his friends.. Either way, I've got an idea the next time I'm feeling particularly malicious and want to mess with someone.

I used some contact cement and added in this foam to the plate. The foam came out of a pelican case that I purchased from a military surplus. Not sure what the foam is made of, but I blasted it with my heat gun from an inch away for a minute or so and the foam held up just fine. No worries about it melting.
First State WRR FZTMT8Q
Back to top Go down
wwguy

wwguy

First State WRR Empty
PostSubject: Re: First State WRR   First State WRR EmptyTue May 15, 2018 4:25 pm

I can see the marks on the skid plate where those washers were installed between the plate and the bike's frame, probably in an attempt to keep the plate from vibrating against the frame.  

FWIW I've got a few Pelican cases around and have found that the foam breaks down after a while, even in the case.  Not sure if it's the the foam itself or the top secret stuff I carry in it, LOL.

For my skidplate here in the 43rd state I bought some inexpensive high density weatherstripping from the local home improvement store, the kind with adhesive on only one side, and stuck it to the frame before mounting the skid plate.  I'm still on the original tape after 3 years and have plenty left over to reapply when necessary.  Works great.  Also makes it easy to hose dirt and gravel out of the skid plate because it's only under the frame rails.

First State WRR Foam10

First State WRR Wr250r12
Back to top Go down
BeeAlk

First State WRR Empty
PostSubject: Re: First State WRR   First State WRR EmptyTue May 15, 2018 4:38 pm

I don't believe the foam I used is Pelican foam, just foam from something else used in a Pelican.

Anyway, the weather stripping idea is nice. If mine falls apart (or soaks up too much water) I'll consider that as an alternative. thumb
Back to top Go down
johnkol

First State WRR Empty
PostSubject: Re: First State WRR   First State WRR EmptyTue May 15, 2018 6:03 pm

BeeAlk wrote:
I used some contact cement and added in this foam to the plate.

This is open cell foam; it will absorb water and mud. It will also degrade with time in the presence of heat, so not a good choice for this application.

Get some silicone-based (not foam) weather stripping and install between frame and plate.
Back to top Go down
BeeAlk

First State WRR Empty
PostSubject: Re: First State WRR   First State WRR EmptyTue May 15, 2018 6:16 pm

johnkol wrote:
BeeAlk wrote:
I used some contact cement and added in this foam to the plate.

This is open cell foam; it will absorb water and mud. It will also degrade with time in the presence of heat, so not a good choice for this application.

Get some silicone-based (not foam) weather stripping and install between frame and plate.

I'll run it as is until it's no longer effective or until I'm unhappy with it. Then I'll replace it with a more carefully considered choice of material.

Afaik, tusk, ktm, moose, etc all use open cell foam. It isn't that bad of a choice and it was what I had on hand.
Back to top Go down
BeeAlk

First State WRR Empty
PostSubject: Re: First State WRR   First State WRR EmptySat May 26, 2018 9:50 am

Makeover complete. I think the black and blue looks great. Here's a few glamour shots I took yesterday.

First State WRR O6JpaCg

First State WRR Xs97ZZI

First State WRR NvqeOBv

First State WRR 5a1Ygx2

First State WRR Bhn0flw

While I was replacing some plastics I realized that the reason my left side air scoop wasn't lining up properly wasn't because the plastics were so beat but because the metal bracket behind the air scoop was bent. Bummer. Luckily I got a pretty good deal on a used-but-brand-new one off ebay and it showed up in just a few days. The bracket holds the overflow tank, horn, wire harnesses and the air scoop fairing. Easy to swap out.

First State WRR UMxhs1Z

Next weekend I will be camping in Centralia, PA and exploring the area with the wrr. Looking forward to it!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

First State WRR Empty
PostSubject: Re: First State WRR   First State WRR Empty

Back to top Go down

First State WRR
Page 1 of 1