Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Why use 1-1/8" Handlebars?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
bhaygood

Why use 1-1/8" Handlebars? Empty
PostSubject: Why use 1-1/8" Handlebars?   Why use 1-1/8" Handlebars? EmptyThu Aug 09, 2018 6:44 pm

I'm not seeing the attraction to the 1-1/8" handlebars. Can anyone fill me in on that?

I'm about to order handguards and need to commit to either the 7/8" bars I have or 1-1/8" bars. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
johnkol

PostSubject: Re: Why use 1-1/8" Handlebars?   Why use 1-1/8" Handlebars? EmptyThu Aug 09, 2018 7:36 pm

You don't have to commit to anything. 1-1/8" bars taper off to 7/8" at the controls, so whatever handguards you get will work for both diameter bars (in some cases you may have to buy an inexpensive bracket).

To answer your question, fat bars are more flexible, more resistant to bending, and transmit fewer vibrations to the controls.
Back to top Go down
bhaygood

PostSubject: Re: Why use 1-1/8" Handlebars?   Why use 1-1/8" Handlebars? EmptyFri Aug 10, 2018 12:13 am

johnkol wrote:
You don't have to commit to anything. 1-1/8" bars taper off to 7/8" at the controls, so whatever handguards you get will work for both diameter bars (in some cases you may have to buy an inexpensive bracket).

To answer your question, fat bars are more flexible, more resistant to bending, and transmit fewer vibrations to the controls.

The HDB Nexgen bars use brackets the attach near the center of the bars where they are larger in diameter, so you have to order the right size brackets for that, even though they are the same diameter at the end. If I were going with larger bars, I would instead buy the HDB Ultimate bars, which are the same price, but look like they attach better. They are only available for 1-1/8". So, I am still trying to decide. I may just have to drive around some more on these bars and see if I like the shape of them or not.

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
johnkol

PostSubject: Re: Why use 1-1/8" Handlebars?   Why use 1-1/8" Handlebars? EmptyFri Aug 10, 2018 3:02 am

bhaygood wrote:
The HDB Nexgen bars use brackets the attach near the center of the bars where they are larger in diameter, so you have to order the right size brackets for that, even though they are the same diameter at the end.

Exactly, that's the bracket I was talking about; it should be very inexpensive to switch between regular and fat bars.
Back to top Go down
wwguy

wwguy

PostSubject: Re: Why use 1-1/8" Handlebars?   Why use 1-1/8" Handlebars? EmptyFri Aug 10, 2018 12:13 pm

bhaygood wrote:
I'm not seeing the attraction to the 1-1/8" handlebars.  Can anyone fill me in on that?

7/8" steel handlebars are lighter, weaker, and more flexible.  They cost less and bend easier.

1 1/8" aluminum handlebars are stronger and more expensive.

But you don't have to take my word for it:

https://www.motosport.com/blog/pros-and-cons-78-inch-or-1-18-inch-oversized-handlebars

https://www.motosport.com/blog/motocross-handlebar-guide
Back to top Go down
on2wheels52

PostSubject: Re: Why use 1-1/8" Handlebars?   Why use 1-1/8" Handlebars? EmptySun Aug 12, 2018 7:33 am

"Why use 1-1/8" Handlebars?"

Mine came with them wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Why use 1-1/8" Handlebars?   Why use 1-1/8" Handlebars? Empty

Back to top Go down

Why use 1-1/8" Handlebars?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum :: Technical :: Sweet Mods & Bike Accessories-
Jump to: