Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

water pump impeller replacement

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
morgan9283

water pump impeller replacement Empty
PostSubject: water pump impeller replacement   water pump impeller replacement EmptyTue Nov 12, 2019 6:11 pm

Hello--I recently found the attached impeller damage.  The bike has 14k on it and I've never had the cover off so for all I know it's been that way for years.  Either way I need to replace it and I'm wondering if anyone can give me insight on how to remove and install the oil seal behind the pump.  See attached excerpts from the manual: do I need a special driver/puller or can I use a punch to remove and a correctly sized socket to install like I would a bearing?

Any other insight would be appreciated: I'm a decent shade-tree mechanic but this is my first water pump!

thanks,

-morgan
water pump impeller replacement Screen11
water pump impeller replacement Screen10
water pump impeller replacement Unadju10
Back to top Go down
johnkol

PostSubject: Re: water pump impeller replacement   water pump impeller replacement EmptyThu Nov 14, 2019 5:42 am

I haven't replaced that particular oil seal, but I have replaced similar seals on the WRR and no special tools were required; just take your time and be careful.

Harbor Freight has an inexpensive seal puller that does a very good job
Back to top Go down
morgan9283

PostSubject: Re: water pump impeller replacement   water pump impeller replacement EmptyFri Nov 15, 2019 4:05 pm

johnkol wrote:
I haven't replaced that particular oil seal, but I have replaced similar seals on the WRR and no special tools were required; just take your time and be careful.

Harbor Freight has an inexpensive seal puller that does a very good job

Interesting: is it a rubber seal? I was under the impression it was ceramic which I've never encountered.

thanks,

-morgan
Back to top Go down
johnkol

PostSubject: Re: water pump impeller replacement   water pump impeller replacement EmptySat Nov 16, 2019 4:36 am

I have never heard of a ceramic oil seal. I can't even think of how that could possibly work with a rotating shaft.
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: water pump impeller replacement   water pump impeller replacement EmptySat Nov 16, 2019 6:04 am

Many liquid-cooled motorcycles have used ceramic mechanical seals at their water pump shafts.
My 2015 Yamaha FZ-07 is one of them.

Not all motorcycles use a ceramic mechanical seal, though.
In the parts catalogue for the WR250R, I don't see the water pump shaft seal described as or given the part number of a ceramic mechanical seal.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: water pump impeller replacement   water pump impeller replacement Empty

Back to top Go down

water pump impeller replacement
Page 1 of 1