Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Windshields?

Go down 
+27
Machtig
texascycle
thumper_tx
King Wolf
Herkypilot
Jaynen
lancek
sswrx
john92
bcpaul
bash3r
mlacey56
zrider
wilburj
greer
skipm
malibu_dan
Akoffroader
sendkcone
WeaveR
flatblack80
BPG
inspector
Goggles Pisano
Nice Rumble
SheWolf
lotsofwheels
31 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
lotsofwheels

Windshields? Empty
PostSubject: Windshields?   Windshields? EmptySat Feb 21, 2009 9:07 pm

Anyone seen any threads on do-it-yourself windshields for R²? Or maybe you've made one yourself. All the bar mounted commercial ones I've seen so far look somewhat tacked, and since money is tight I was thinking about making my own and am not adverse to borrowing ideas. A windshield would make dealing with Chicago winters easier.

Thanks
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

Windshields? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Windshields?   Windshields? EmptySun Feb 22, 2009 12:30 am

There was someone one ADV or TT who used one that was meant for a KLR650. It didn't look bad for something not meant for the bike.

Nice Rumble

Windshields? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Windshields?   Windshields? EmptySun Feb 22, 2009 11:20 am

These guys carry screens for DS bikes. Bolts to the handlebars.

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productlist/349/

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/
Back to top Go down
Goggles Pisano

Goggles Pisano

Windshields? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Windshields?   Windshields? EmptySun Feb 22, 2009 8:32 pm

Fabricated mine from a sheet of .093" acrylic... I kept it small so the bike will still fit in my van.

Windshields? DSC00002
Back to top Go down
lotsofwheels

Windshields? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Windshields?   Windshields? EmptyMon Feb 23, 2009 8:36 pm

That's the sort of thing I was think about, but a bit higher. How much does yours reduce windblast and do you think the stock headlight shroud would flex too much with a bit higher windshield?
Back to top Go down
Goggles Pisano

Goggles Pisano

Windshields? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Windshields?   Windshields? EmptyTue Feb 24, 2009 12:24 pm

Keep in mind this is an early prototype. I have refined the design a couple of times since. The latest version is almost an inch taller and about two inches wider. I have yet to bolt it on, but the smaller windscreen shown doesn't flex the headlight shroud a bit. I don't expect a slightly larger one would either, but if I make it any bigger than that it will probably need bracing.

The design shown reduces the wind considerably up to about 60-65 mph indicated. After that the effect is negligible. I expect the larger design will be better, and better still with handguards on the bike. I'll still get plenty of wind, but it should reduce wind fatigue enough to make 2-3 hour runs to the trails at highway speeds much more manageable.
Back to top Go down
inspector

inspector

Windshields? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Windshields?   Windshields? EmptyTue Feb 24, 2009 3:31 pm

Goggles Pisano wrote:
..., but it should reduce wind fatigue enough to make 2-3 hour runs to the trails at highway speeds much more manageable.

Dude that sucks. I complain about my 45 min to an hour ride to the trails. If I have to go any further then that this summer, I'll be borrowing a trailer. (i complain because it just eats up the tires.)
Back to top Go down
BPG

BPG

Windshields? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Windshields?   Windshields? EmptySun Mar 29, 2009 12:34 am

I just fitted my roomie's Slipstreamer Spitfire to mine, only took a few minutes to get the whole she-bang configured and tightened up. From here on out, it will only take seconds to remove or replace - now that the bar mounts are "semi-permanently" attached.

Took some messy garage pics, will try to get out and ride tomorrow to fine-tune the height and angle, then give a review and post some pics.
Back to top Go down
BPG

BPG

Windshields? Empty
PostSubject: Slipstream Spitfire pics   Windshields? EmptySun Mar 29, 2009 2:39 pm

Got out to take some pics of a Slipstream Spitfire (sometimes called "Model S-06") on my WRR:

Windshields? 006-1

Windshields? 007-1

Windshields? 008-1

Windshields? 009-1

Windshields? 010-1

Windshields? 011

Windshields? 012

It's VERY windy here today, but I took it for an interstate ride anyway. Compared to no screen, wind blast to my chest was significantly reduced; highway speeds were much more enjoyable. Usually I cruise at 70, not for the bike's sake but for mine! With the shield, I found myself creeping up to 75-80 more than once (stock gearing and flapper mod).

I didn't see much need to move it around/tweak it that much; leaned back as is worked really well. I might even drop it a bit to see how that feels. The best part about it is that it removes or installs in a few seconds - put it on for backroads exploring, commuting or long trips; and pop it right off for serious dirt!

Definitely a worthwhile and relatively inexpensive mod, these pop up on ebay, discount and close-outs for well under the $85 retail.
Back to top Go down
Nice Rumble

Nice Rumble

Windshields? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Windshields?   Windshields? EmptySun Mar 29, 2009 2:49 pm

Nice option for those early spring and late autumn days. Do you have a link where to buy?
Back to top Go down
BPG

BPG

Windshields? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Windshields?   Windshields? EmptySun Mar 29, 2009 3:53 pm

Nice Rumble wrote:
Nice option for those early spring and late autumn days. Do you have a link where to buy?
Just GOOGLE it- should come up with zillions of options...
Back to top Go down
BPG

BPG

Windshields? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Windshields?   Windshields? EmptyMon Mar 30, 2009 11:08 pm

FWIW, based on my experience w/ my room-mate's Slipstreamer Spitfire, I'm going to try the similarly sized National Cycle Deflector DX. The difference is that the NC shield has what appears to be an easier to use tool-less quick-release and adjust system, and you can tilt the shield right where the support arms attach to the shield itself (also w/ tools).

I just scored one on ebay for $58 shipped thumb

Windshields? G_10665G_CL_1

Windshields? System-QSRA_600
Back to top Go down

Windshields? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Windshields?   Windshields? EmptyWed Apr 08, 2009 8:04 am

BPG - any pics of the Slipstramer on your WR?
Back to top Go down
BPG

BPG

Windshields? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Windshields?   Windshields? EmptyWed Apr 08, 2009 8:16 am

rcniss wrote:
BPG - any pics of the Slipstramer on your WR?

scratch
Unless you meant to type "National Cycle Deflector"; I posted 7 pics of the Slipstreamer a few posts back...

thumb
Back to top Go down
flatblack80

flatblack80

Windshields? Empty
PostSubject: thats not a windshield, this is a windshield!   Windshields? EmptyMon Apr 20, 2009 3:44 pm

Im hoping I can find a sweet windshield like this one I saw at Lowe's on a Suzuki. amazon
Windshields? 0418091542
Back to top Go down
WeaveR

WeaveR

Windshields? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Windshields?   Windshields? EmptyMon Apr 20, 2009 5:28 pm

while your at it, try and get the part numbers for those 2% hand guards
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

Windshields? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Windshields?   Windshields? EmptyMon Apr 20, 2009 5:48 pm

I always knew those 4L milk jugs would come in handy for stuff besides flotation devices.... wink

Windshields? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Windshields?   Windshields? EmptyWed Jun 03, 2009 6:48 pm

Any review on the National Cycle Deflector yet?
scratch
Unless you meant to type "National Cycle Deflector"; I posted 7 pics of the Slipstreamer a few posts back...

thumb[/quote]
Back to top Go down
BPG

BPG

Windshields? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Windshields?   Windshields? EmptySat Jun 13, 2009 2:10 pm

sendkcone wrote:
Any review on the National Cycle Deflector yet?

I never used it - the hardware for attaching to the bar was too bulky. Might end up just getting a Slipstreamer for myself (the one I had pictured was actually my roommate's Slipstreamer); or making a custom quick-detach jobbie out of a piece of acrylic.
Back to top Go down
Akoffroader

Windshields? Empty
PostSubject: Turbo City Windshield   Windshields? EmptySat Jun 13, 2009 5:18 pm

I put a Turbo City windshield on my XR650L after trying a National Cycle Spit Fire windshield first. I never could get the Spit Fire to work. It was very noisy to ride behind and caused a lot of buffeting. I shortened it two inches and angled it every way possible, no dice!

The Turbo City on the XRL, although expensive at $200.00, worked as advertised. You could cruise right along in reletive comfort.

I have the XRL up for sale now but will keep the Turbo City windshield from it and plan to buy WRR brackets ($59.00) to install it on my WRR for longer distances on slab. The Turbo City windshield can be taken off in about two minutes for more serious dirt riding.

http://www.turbocity.com/popup_image.php?pID=756

AK
Back to top Go down
malibu_dan

malibu_dan

Windshields? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Windshields?   Windshields? EmptyThu Jul 23, 2009 12:58 am

Just got a Laminar Lip for my R² (the older KLR model)--too lazy to bend and cut my own lexan. I'll post up some pics when I get it installed.
Back to top Go down
skipm

Windshields? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Windshields?   Windshields? EmptyThu Jul 23, 2009 2:03 pm

Please do, I'm seriously considering one for my X.

-Skip

malibu_dan wrote:
Just got a Laminar Lip for my R² (the older KLR model)--too lazy to bend and cut my own lexan. I'll post up some pics when I get it installed.
Back to top Go down
BPG

BPG

Windshields? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Windshields?   Windshields? EmptyMon Oct 05, 2009 9:13 pm

I made a windshield that's pretty well perfect for my needs (trail proof, but actually useful on the interstate. And no need to remove or install it to go from one extreme to the other)

- One plastic face shield ($3 - Harbor Freight)
- 2 strips (loop strip and hook strip) of 2" wide velcro, about 8-9" long
- scissors

You can figure it out from there...Windshields? Deal

Windshields? 015

Windshields? 016

Windshields? 017

Windshields? 018

Windshields? 019

Windshields? 020

Windshields? 022

Tested up to 85 mph (GPS speed): no flutter at all as it rests against the brake hose pretty well. I wrapped the brake hose in electrical tape where it touches the screen, so any rubbing will wear the tape vs. the hose itself.

This set-up really takes the blast off the chest, and sends a pretty clean
stream of air past the helmet (I'm 5'10", long-ish torso). The face
shield plastic is great stuff and very flexible - you can practically
bend it in half without it snapping. Not bad for $3!Windshields? Naughty

Already one of my favorite mods that will stay on the bike 24/7...
It's tough/flexible (and cheap) enough and of such a low profile that I
have no worries about dragging it through a rutted deer path or rocky
singletrack hill climb - and it'll be right there waiting for a blast
up the 4-lane.

Last edited by BPG on Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:46 am; edited 1 time in total

saha6818 likes this post

Back to top Go down
greer

Windshields? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Windshields?   Windshields? EmptyTue Dec 01, 2009 9:29 am

Just wanted to post up a "Thank You" to BPG for the Harbor Freight windshield. Had mine for about 1500 miles now, can't believe how well it works. Thanks again!!

Sarah

saha6818 likes this post

Back to top Go down
BPG

BPG

Windshields? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Windshields?   Windshields? EmptySat Dec 05, 2009 1:53 am

not bad for under $10, is it? Windshields? 61865

I ran a few conventional "universal shields" (National Cycle Deflector and Slipstreamer Spitfire) before this. They only blocked the wind a little better, and were a hassle to take off an re-mount based on riding conditions. This rig rocks because it's ALWAYS there, which is great on cold days when you go from trail to road to trail to road, etc.. And, it's almost un-killable... Windshields? 619190 Windshields? 810411
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Windshields? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Windshields?   Windshields? Empty

Back to top Go down

Windshields?
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum :: Technical :: Sweet Mods & Bike Accessories-
Jump to: