Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Walmart / Cheap Oil Filter?

Go down 
+8
WRoldman
greer
Bob
Pancho
skierd
sswrx
ramz
dmulk
12 posters
AuthorMessage
dmulk

Walmart / Cheap Oil Filter? Empty
PostSubject: Walmart / Cheap Oil Filter?   Walmart / Cheap Oil Filter? EmptySun Dec 20, 2009 1:26 am

Does anyone have a Walmart oil filter recommendation for our WRR's?

Actually, I'll take any suggestions on regularly stocked oil filters that can be purchased at places like Autozone, Pepboys, etc.

Thanks!

Back to top Go down
dmulk

PostSubject: Re: Walmart / Cheap Oil Filter?   Walmart / Cheap Oil Filter? EmptySun Dec 20, 2009 1:38 pm

Well...I did some digging and it appears that our WRR's take the same filter as a 2007 YZ250F. This means a FRAM CH6102 *should* work...

Gonna try it today.

Back to top Go down
ramz

PostSubject: Re: Walmart / Cheap Oil Filter?   Walmart / Cheap Oil Filter? EmptySun Dec 20, 2009 3:03 pm

The WR250R oil filter part numbers changed from '08 to '09:
'08 5TA-13440-00-00
'09 5D3-13440-00-00
'10 5D3-13440-00-00

YZF/WRF changed also:
'07/'08 YZ250F/WR250F - 5TA-13440-00-00
'09/'10 YZ250F/WR250F - 5D3-13440-00-00

I'm sure the older filter fits the newer bikes, but I'm not sure about performance (blow-off pressure, drain-back, etc).
Back to top Go down
sswrx

sswrx

PostSubject: Re: Walmart / Cheap Oil Filter?   Walmart / Cheap Oil Filter? EmptySun Dec 20, 2009 4:43 pm

I think we had a thread regarding oil & filters under the maintenence section? It's been awhile. The filter for the WR is rather unique & very small. A couple members here work at bike dealerships & I'm from a car dealership & it's been mentioned that filters are not created equal. The demands of modern bikes & cars oiling systems is high & the factory filter, although somewhat pricey, is engineered for that engine to perform to the engine's max potential without failing. Aftermarket filters are designed to "fit" but may not meet the standards of particle retention & flow that the factory filter provides. I've seen the inside of Fram filters & they are not built with the best materials. I've seen cardboard where metal should be & I've seen filter media break down & crumble inside the housing. The WR has one of the highest tech engines in the dual sport market & the oil filter is one place not to skimp on.
dmulk wrote:
Does anyone have a Walmart oil filter recommendation for our WRR's?

Actually, I'll take any suggestions on regularly stocked oil filters that can be purchased at places like Autozone, Pepboys, etc.

Thanks!

Back to top Go down
dmulk

PostSubject: Re: Walmart / Cheap Oil Filter?   Walmart / Cheap Oil Filter? EmptySun Dec 20, 2009 6:09 pm

Good points SS...

I couldn't find any of the filters at any of the the places I checked today. I *did* confirm, though, that these filters are indeed made specifically for motorcycles. The Pepboys cross reference did indeed contain a "ML" (M being for motorcycle designation). Ofcourse, they were "order only".

Back to top Go down
skierd

PostSubject: Re: Walmart / Cheap Oil Filter?   Walmart / Cheap Oil Filter? EmptySun Dec 20, 2009 8:34 pm

Did the filter itself change, or just the part number?

ramz wrote:
The WR250R oil filter part numbers changed from '08 to '09:
'08 5TA-13440-00-00
'09 5D3-13440-00-00
'10 5D3-13440-00-00

YZF/WRF changed also:
'07/'08 YZ250F/WR250F - 5TA-13440-00-00
'09/'10 YZ250F/WR250F - 5D3-13440-00-00

I'm sure the older filter fits the newer bikes, but I'm not sure about performance (blow-off pressure, drain-back, etc).
Back to top Go down
ramz

PostSubject: Re: Walmart / Cheap Oil Filter?   Walmart / Cheap Oil Filter? EmptySun Dec 20, 2009 9:11 pm

I'll order one of each and get back to you on that Walmart / Cheap Oil Filter? Icon_scratch

Different part numbers almost always mean different parts. I've NEVER found an exception in 30 years of checking part numbers, from Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawasaki, and Husky.

Now will several 'experts' please post up the exceptions and prove me wrong. Walmart / Cheap Oil Filter? 911463

You KNOW I check filters, don't you Walmart / Cheap Oil Filter? 810411
And I WILL get back to you.
Just don't hold your breath. Walmart / Cheap Oil Filter? 93746
Back to top Go down
Pancho

Pancho

PostSubject: Re: Walmart / Cheap Oil Filter?   Walmart / Cheap Oil Filter? EmptySun Dec 20, 2009 10:35 pm

I have the 5D3-13440-00 paper filter and the 5H0-13440-09 metallic filter, which states on the box that it's applicable on:
SR125, TW125/200, XT125/225/350, TT225/350 TDM 225, YFB250 and quad YFM350/400 (and I guess WR250R according to my dealer¿? Walmart / Cheap Oil Filter? Icon_scratch ) On visual comparison the metallic is equal to the paper one. But I wouldn't know as sswrx states, if they have any difference on they paper design or maybe the spring rate of the security valve....
I've checked on a equivalence table, and the 5D3 is HiFlo HF141, while the 5H0 is HF143, so now I'm in doubt if I should use the washeable filter. Maybe once I remove the paper one, I will compare them more closely....
Back to top Go down
Bob

PostSubject: Re: Walmart / Cheap Oil Filter?   Walmart / Cheap Oil Filter? EmptyMon Dec 21, 2009 12:09 am

i use the High Flow brand. its a moto filter at the moto shops. less than half the price in some shops.
Back to top Go down
greer

PostSubject: Re: Walmart / Cheap Oil Filter?   Walmart / Cheap Oil Filter? EmptyMon Dec 21, 2009 5:54 am

Pancho,

I'm wondering about that metallic filter, too. I don't remember where I found the info, but I'm nearly certain I read the XT filters will not work in the WRR/X.

Sarah
Back to top Go down
Pancho

Pancho

PostSubject: Re: Walmart / Cheap Oil Filter?   Walmart / Cheap Oil Filter? EmptyMon Dec 21, 2009 9:29 am

well Sarah, my dealer gave it to me, but I'm not so sure about using it. I will do a serious comparison and post the results. One thing is sure, Hiflo 141 is paper while 143 is metallic...
Back to top Go down
WRoldman

WRoldman

PostSubject: Re: Walmart / Cheap Oil Filter?   Walmart / Cheap Oil Filter? EmptyMon Dec 21, 2009 10:09 am

Bob wrote:
i use the High Flow brand. its a moto filter at the moto shops. less than half the price in some shops.

+1

I have good luck with the Hi Flo. Just $3.99 at my local shop, too.
Back to top Go down
dmulk

PostSubject: Re: Walmart / Cheap Oil Filter?   Walmart / Cheap Oil Filter? EmptyMon Dec 21, 2009 11:17 pm

As I'm prepping for a trip, I just picked up the Yam filter.

I also ordered one of those stainless reusable / cleanable deals. Figure it would be nice to have on a long trip like the TAT.

Got it on ebay for $24.95 shipped. :)

Back to top Go down
12oclocker

12oclocker

PostSubject: Re: Walmart / Cheap Oil Filter?   Walmart / Cheap Oil Filter? EmptyFri Jan 01, 2010 12:40 pm

Don't use a Fram filter! your better off stuffing a rag in where the oil filter goes!
I
used Fram on my car for a while, and it started making my Enginge
Knock! Traced the problem back to the Fram filter, it was significantly
reducing oil flow, the plastic bypass valve in it was also junk, and
the filter material is just plain old cardboard, I'm dead serious when
I say a rag is better than this filter. Use the OEM yamaha filter, it
cost more, but you wont blow your engine or starve it for oil because
of a crapily designed cheapo filter.
Back to top Go down
10Cup

10Cup

PostSubject: There is no bypass valve ..   Walmart / Cheap Oil Filter? EmptySat Jan 02, 2010 9:17 pm

12oclocker wrote:
Don't use a Fram filter! your better off stuffing a rag in where the oil filter goes!
I
used Fram on my car for a while, and it started making my Enginge
Knock! Traced the problem back to the Fram filter, it was significantly
reducing oil flow, the plastic bypass valve in it was also junk, and
the filter material is just plain old cardboard, I'm dead serious when
I say a rag is better than this filter. Use the OEM yamaha filter, it
cost more, but you wont blow your engine or starve it for oil because
of a crapily designed cheapo filter.

The WR250R filter is very simple and no valve at all, everything other than the filter element is in the cases. Not sure what bike your talking about but it must not have been a WR250R?
Back to top Go down
12oclocker

12oclocker

PostSubject: Re: Walmart / Cheap Oil Filter?   Walmart / Cheap Oil Filter? EmptySat Jan 02, 2010 9:54 pm

it was my car,...
but I've examined the WR250X/R Filter, its a very very fine nylon looking mesh, high quality filter, for good oil flow. the Fram filters are cardboard filters, so they obstruct normal oil flow. I would not recommend them.
Back to top Go down
BigBoar

BigBoar

PostSubject: Re: Walmart / Cheap Oil Filter?   Walmart / Cheap Oil Filter? EmptySat Jan 09, 2010 5:44 pm

Dont buy a cheap oil filter,,,,,,, would you shop for a cheap pacemaker?
lol
Back to top Go down
sswrx

sswrx

PostSubject: Re: Walmart / Cheap Oil Filter?   Walmart / Cheap Oil Filter? EmptyMon Jan 11, 2010 1:20 am

AMEN!
BigBoar wrote:
Dont buy a cheap oil filter,,,,,,, would you shop for a cheap pacemaker?
lol
Back to top Go down
Pancho

Pancho

PostSubject: Re: Walmart / Cheap Oil Filter?   Walmart / Cheap Oil Filter? EmptyThu Jan 14, 2010 11:10 pm

Quote :
I have the 5D3-13440-00 paper filter and the 5H0-13440-09 metallic filter, which states on the box that it's applicable on:
SR125, TW125/200, XT125/225/350, TT225/350 TDM 225, YFB250 and quad YFM350/400 (and I guess WR250R according to my dealer¿? Walmart / Cheap Oil Filter? Icon_scratch ) On visual comparison the metallic is equal to the paper one. But I wouldn't know as sswrx states, if they have any difference on they paper design or maybe the spring rate of the security valve....
I've checked on a equivalence table, and the 5D3 is HiFlo HF141, while the 5H0 is HF143, so now I'm in doubt if I should use the washeable filter. Maybe once I remove the paper one, I will compare them more closely....

Confirmed: the metallic filter is NOT compatible with the WRR, is about 4mm longer than the stock filter, don't bother to buy one!
Back to top Go down
oh2RideMore

PostSubject: Re: Walmart / Cheap Oil Filter?   Walmart / Cheap Oil Filter? EmptyFri Jan 22, 2010 11:27 am

Picked up 5 of the HiFlow 141 filters at powersportsuperstore.com for $3 a piece. I have used the 138s on my strom for years now, and am happy with the quality. This vendor is not fast though. Ordered 1/4, received 1/21.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Walmart / Cheap Oil Filter?   Walmart / Cheap Oil Filter? Empty

Back to top Go down

Walmart / Cheap Oil Filter?
Page 1 of 1