Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

No Start-Different:)

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
kabulpostie

No Start-Different:) Empty
PostSubject: No Start-Different:)   No Start-Different:) EmptyTue Aug 17, 2021 2:53 pm

Having an issue with bike starting both hot and cold. I decided to get the battery tested after having to try and bump start last night after work. Took it off the trickle charger this morning and it started fairly easily. Went to the battery place and the voltage checked out. Bike wouldn't start without a bump. So last night cold engine, today engine shutdown for no more than 5 minutes. Recent maintenance (last 2 weeks) oil and filter, air filter and replaced left hand cover. The starting issue has been increasing in frequency over the last couple of weeks. Bike is an '08 with 15,000 miles. I'm guess spark is ok as I changed spark plug a year or two ago and haven't ridden that much. Fuel pump seems to be ok as it is making the normal noises and i have replaced the original with an after market. I'm not quite sure what or how to check anything else. Any help would be much appreciated.
cameron
Back to top Go down
johnkol

PostSubject: Re: No Start-Different:)   No Start-Different:) EmptyWed Aug 18, 2021 6:15 pm

From what you're saying I conclude that the bike cranks fine but does not start? So it does not appear that this is a battery problem.

Let's assume that spark is fine given that spark plug is fairly new, and fuel flows unimpeded given that the bike eventually starts. Next thing to check then would be compression, so get a compression test kit (Harbor Freight has an inexpensive one) and see if your compression is within specs; follow the directions in the service manual starting on page 3-9.
Back to top Go down
kabulpostie

PostSubject: Re: No Start-Different:)   No Start-Different:) EmptyThu Aug 19, 2021 11:25 am

Thanks for the reply. I'll head to harbor freight today if my neighbor doesn't have a kit. Yesterday was a perfect example of what happens. Went for a ride up to a mountain lake about 40 miles away. Bike started fine from cold earlier in the day bet then I had to bump start it for the ride. Got tot the lakes fished for a couple hours and the bike started from cold no problem. Got to the bottom of the gravel road (4-5 miles?) pulled off and stopped to air up tires. Bike wouldn't start. tried bump starting multiple times until I was about worn out. Just before I was going to call for help I tried one last time and the bike started without bumping. Rode about 30 miles and had to stop for gas and the bike started just fine. I have tried starting in neutral with the kickstand up and down (thinking maybe there's an issue with that switch), tried starting it in gear clutch in. None of those seem to make any sort of difference, as far as I can tell it is a random problem or I'm missing something completely.

Edit: I checked compression and it was 60 psi. Added oil to spark plug hole and retested with a result of 90PSI. According to the manual this indicates worn or damaged rings. I'm not sure I have tools or mechanical know how to try this myself. If I take it to a shop is there any other engine maintenence I should ave them do, maybe valves?
Back to top Go down
kabulpostie

PostSubject: Re: No Start-Different:)   No Start-Different:) EmptyThu Aug 19, 2021 1:42 pm

Here are a couple pics of the spark plug in case it provides any useful info.
No Start-Different:) 51387934982_e541be43e0_kIMG_20210819_100854548 by cam2hook
No Start-Different:) 51387934982_e541be43e0_kIMG_20210819_100854548 by cam2hook, on Flickr
Back to top Go down
johnkol

PostSubject: Re: No Start-Different:)   No Start-Different:) EmptyThu Aug 19, 2021 2:19 pm

If compression is low, then your valves could be way off specs, which would make starting difficult.

If compression is within specs, then you will have to go through all the troubleshooting steps that begin on page 8-34. I had a problem with engine stuttering this past winter and it took me two months to diagnose the issue, so you have to be patient.
Back to top Go down
johnkol

PostSubject: Re: No Start-Different:)   No Start-Different:) EmptyThu Aug 19, 2021 2:38 pm

Once upon a time when motorcycles were simple, spark plug reading could provide some troubleshooting clues, but today with all the electronics, there are so many other failure mechanisms that spark plug readings are rarely indicative of anything.

That spark plug looks fine.
Back to top Go down
kabulpostie

PostSubject: Re: No Start-Different:)   No Start-Different:) EmptySat Aug 21, 2021 9:55 pm

Went on a long ride today, dumped the bike a couple of times, started it warm and cold with no issues. For me it seems buying a new spark plug solved the problem, which doesn't really make sense to me..
Back to top Go down
johnkol

PostSubject: Re: No Start-Different:)   No Start-Different:) EmptySat Aug 21, 2021 11:26 pm

Is this the spark plug from last year, or did you buy a new spark plug?
Back to top Go down
kabulpostie

PostSubject: Re: No Start-Different:)   No Start-Different:) EmptySat Aug 21, 2021 11:44 pm

New spark plug
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: No Start-Different:)   No Start-Different:) Empty

Back to top Go down

No Start-Different:)
Page 1 of 1