Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

R2 running with the (Big Dogs)sport bikes today.

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Horsman

Horsman

R2 running with the (Big Dogs)sport bikes today. Empty
PostSubject: R2 running with the (Big Dogs)sport bikes today.   R2 running with the (Big Dogs)sport bikes today. EmptySun Mar 07, 2010 11:50 pm

I have to say - I love this Little guy. He kept up with the sportbikes (even though he has 1/4 the cc's) We torn up the tarmac with them... Once you get the feel for the gearing (it takes a little getting used to) the little guy wants to go. I was hauling on the Hwy at approx 80 and this thing was just humming along with the rest of the big dogs. The Bike did awesome but my MX helmet didn't like those fast speeds.

Today, I got some young kids in a car in front of me screaming they loved the bike, others (Grumpy Old People) looking at me like I was Ridin' Dirty(illegal glare stares). Some people were taking pictures with their camera phones as I ripped past them on the hwy - "Silly White Boy" on a Dirt Bike doing 80 down the hwy isn't common. Probably thought I went FULL RETARD.
R2 running with the (Big Dogs)sport bikes today. Never_go_full_retard

Anyone hesitant about buying this bike because it is a 250 is a FULL RETARD. I was nervous when I bought the bike because I didn't think I could get enough power out of it - well I was wrong and I am glad I got this fun machine. Do the "Sweet Mods" and you will be able to tap tap ta ruu into some serious fun.

R2 running with the (Big Dogs)sport bikes today. 100_0086

Definitely want to hear what others have to say too... I haven't hit the dirt with this thing yet - can't wait!!! I know that is where this bike will shine.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: R2 running with the (Big Dogs)sport bikes today.   R2 running with the (Big Dogs)sport bikes today. EmptyMon Mar 08, 2010 12:22 am

R2 running with the (Big Dogs)sport bikes today. IMG_1052

Oh you'll love that thing just as much in the dirt. R2 running with the (Big Dogs)sport bikes today. 61865 That\'s the great thing about it; you can be whipping along the pavement keeping up with your sportbike buddies, see a trail heading off somewhere and take it. R2 running with the (Big Dogs)sport bikes today. 93746 I don't know how many times I did that on my 600...rippin along a nice windy back road and see a wicked trail going off into nowhere...only not being able to play on it. R2 running with the (Big Dogs)sport bikes today. 9356 It was then I decided to sell the 600 and get another DS. I haven't looked back. R2 running with the (Big Dogs)sport bikes today. 163123 I've ridden with liter bikes and get a giggle when you get the double takes...then they almost fall off the damned things when I take off my helmet and they see I'm a girl. R2 running with the (Big Dogs)sport bikes today. 810411

Last edited by SheWolf on Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:02 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
jason meacham

jason meacham

PostSubject: Re: R2 running with the (Big Dogs)sport bikes today.   R2 running with the (Big Dogs)sport bikes today. EmptyMon Mar 08, 2010 12:24 am

I took my wrr out today for the first time since November and I was reminded how much I like this bike.My last bike was a 84 klr600. The wrr is way better. the 600 had more power but that's the only place it was better. On the highway I have no problem,my buddy on his Honda crf230L can't keep up with me and I weight 40-50 more pounds them him,, very soon I will be putting on an exhaust/fuel programmer/air box mods/47 or 48 t rear sprocket/ I can't wait to see the difference. I plan on keeping this bike for a few years. unless Yamaha comes out with a wr450r I will be riding my wr250r.I hate it when people say things like " you ride a 250??" or "aren't you a little old to be riding a dirt bike?" those people just don't get it and they probably never will. I get a lot of looks and stares from people when I ride. One time a cop walked up to my bike shaking his head and looked pissed off until he saw my plate. he said have a nice day and I drove away..If I had a steet bike I would feel like I was only having 1/2 the fun..have a good riding season to you and everyone else on this site.. R2 running with the (Big Dogs)sport bikes today. 945348
Back to top Go down
Horsman

Horsman

PostSubject: Re: R2 running with the (Big Dogs)sport bikes today.   R2 running with the (Big Dogs)sport bikes today. EmptyMon Mar 08, 2010 12:49 am

jason meacham wrote:
I took my wrr out today for the first time since November and I was reminded how much I like this bike.My last bike was a 84 klr600. The wrr is way better. the 600 had more power but that's the only place it was better. On the highway I have no problem,my buddy on his Honda crf230L can't keep up with me and I weight 40-50 more pounds them him,, very soon I will be putting on an exhaust/fuel programmer/air box mods/47 or 48 t rear sprocket/ I can't wait to see the difference. I plan on keeping this bike for a few years. unless Yamaha comes out with a wr450r I will be riding my wr250r.I hate it when people say things like " you ride a 250??" or "aren't you a little old to be riding a dirt bike?" those people just don't get it and they probably never will. I get a lot of looks and stares from people when I ride. One time a cop walked up to my bike shaking his head and looked pissed off until he saw my plate. he said have a nice day and I drove away..If I had a steet bike I would feel like I was only having 1/2 the fun..have a good riding season to you and everyone else on this site.. R2 running with the (Big Dogs)sport bikes today. 945348

LOL... FOG (Freakin Old Guy) get off them 2 fiddys!!! LOL.... I think we get the stares because not too many people are riding our "border line" (ds) on the road. I think, They think we'll flip out and go all Rambo crazy on them or something (and just ride up on the sidewalk thru the park and over someone's lawn (cue Clint Eastwood), etc). LOL...
R2 running with the (Big Dogs)sport bikes today. First%20Blood%202%20%28Medium%29
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: R2 running with the (Big Dogs)sport bikes today.   R2 running with the (Big Dogs)sport bikes today. EmptyMon Mar 08, 2010 1:09 am

Well at least Rambo got it right, he rode a Yamaha XT250! Go Yamaha! R2 running with the (Big Dogs)sport bikes today. 525406

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: R2 running with the (Big Dogs)sport bikes today.   R2 running with the (Big Dogs)sport bikes today. EmptyMon Mar 08, 2010 7:43 am

I'm impressed with how fun the WR-250R is on the street, too.
It's got waaaaaaaaayyy more power, acceleration, and speed than any other 250cc dual-purpose bike, and when I rip through the gears with the throttle open wide, I'm still grinning. :)
Expecting a CR-F230L to stay with you?
Only if you slow down for him. :)

Last year, my street bike was a 2009 Suzuki DR-Z400SM with all of the typical mods that guys and girls with those bikes do, and it was big fun.
I sold that bike this past October to get the money to buy another bike (off-road 2009 WR-250F), and then moved my WR-250R from dual-purpose use to street use - I even put the stock Trail Wing street-biased tires back on it.
After time passed and things sunk into my skull, I was a bit disappointed that I'd sold my DR-Z (which was actually a 440cc bike after the mods) and kept my 250 as my street bike, thinking I'd done things backwards.
Then I started riding the WR-250R on the street like I meant it.

With the Bridgestione Trail Wings (which are basically street tires compared to the motocross knobbies that were on the bike most of it's life), all of the typical mods done, and 12/47 sprockets, this thing feels light, zippy, loves to rev into the powerband and stay there, loves full throttle, and is surprisingly quick.
I can say with a straight face that after a really fun ride yesterday which lasted several hours and three gas stops, I'm no longer missing the DR-Z. :)
Back to top Go down
Horsman

Horsman

PostSubject: Re: R2 running with the (Big Dogs)sport bikes today.   R2 running with the (Big Dogs)sport bikes today. EmptyMon Mar 08, 2010 10:14 pm

SheWolf wrote:
Well at least Rambo got it right, he rode a Yamaha XT250! Go Yamaha! R2 running with the (Big Dogs)sport bikes today. 525406
I think he rode it like he stole it!!!!! R2 running with the (Big Dogs)sport bikes today. 810411
Back to top Go down
Horsman

Horsman

PostSubject: Re: R2 running with the (Big Dogs)sport bikes today.   R2 running with the (Big Dogs)sport bikes today. EmptyMon Mar 08, 2010 10:17 pm

YZEtc wrote:
I'm impressed with how fun the WR-250R is on the street, too.
It's got waaaaaaaaayyy more power, acceleration, and speed than any other 250cc dual-purpose bike, and when I rip through the gears with the throttle open wide, I'm still grinning. :)
Expecting a CR-F230L to stay with you?
Only if you slow down for him. :)

Last year, my street bike was a 2009 Suzuki DR-Z400SM with all of the typical mods that guys and girls with those bikes do, and it was big fun.
I sold that bike this past October to get the money to buy another bike (off-road 2009 WR-250F), and then moved my WR-250R from dual-purpose use to street use - I even put the stock Trail Wing street-biased tires back on it.
After time passed and things sunk into my skull, I was a bit disappointed that I'd sold my DR-Z (which was actually a 440cc bike after the mods) and kept my 250 as my street bike, thinking I'd done things backwards.
Then I started riding the WR-250R on the street like I meant it.

With the Bridgestione Trail Wings (which are basically street tires compared to the motocross knobbies that were on the bike most of it's life), all of the typical mods done, and 12/47 sprockets, this thing feels light, zippy, loves to rev into the powerband and stay there, loves full throttle, and is surprisingly quick.
I can say with a straight face that after a really fun ride yesterday which lasted several hours and three gas stops, I'm no longer missing the DR-Z. :)

Thanks YZEtc

I thought I was the only person on the planet losing my mind because I am really liking this wrr more and more. Most of the ADVrider posts are like 2 years old and bunch of peoplebashing on the WRR from DRZ lovers.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: R2 running with the (Big Dogs)sport bikes today.   R2 running with the (Big Dogs)sport bikes today. EmptyMon Mar 08, 2010 10:28 pm

You HAVE lost your mind Jon. R2 running with the (Big Dogs)sport bikes today. 93746 *hands you back the marble that rolled out of your ear* R2 running with the (Big Dogs)sport bikes today. 810411

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: R2 running with the (Big Dogs)sport bikes today.   R2 running with the (Big Dogs)sport bikes today. EmptyTue Mar 09, 2010 6:45 am

About life with my DR-Z compared to my WR-250R:

The big thing the WR-250R (and X) have going for them is that, after they're uncorked, they like to rev and make power up there.
There's enough low end to make riding the bike easy, but it's the midrange where the power comes on with a burst and the high-wailing top end that makes it a blast to ride when the throttle is held open.
Without a doubt, this is a fun-to-ride bike with these power characteristics.

Comparing it to the DR-Z, the power characteristics of that bike were basically the opposite:
Lots of low end and midrange, and while the engine would actually reach high RPM if you held the throttle open, power was falling off by the time you got there, and reving it high gave you no reward.
This can be fixed by installing the proper parts (making the bike very loud).
It was also a 5-speed, and that compromised your choice of gearing.
Basically, you chose between low gearing for acceleration but had a relatively low cruising speed, or went for long-legged tall gearing and had acceleration suffer.
It really needed a 6-speed.

The DR-Z forums have riders who are riding a bike that's been in the Suzuki line since the year 2000 in one form or another.
It's weak points are well known and very much documented, as are it's strong points.
There are lots of hop-up parts out there for it compared to the WR-250R and X, and there are DR-Z forum members who have lots of knowledge and experience with that bike who really know their stuff.

The DR-Z, being a Suzuki, also had thread upon thread of You Gotta' Do This And That Modification To Your Bike Before It Blows Up.
I've never owned a bike where it often seemed that everyone riding one will literally tell you you're out of your mind if you don't yank the stock cam chain tensioner off and install a manual one, or put red Loctite on the primary drive gear nut and starter clutch mounting bolts and front sprocket splines (really), or get rid of the stock valves and install better ones.

I did learn a lot about the DR-Z, but I'm really a Yamaha rider, and I can say without batting an eye that the WR is a bit higher up the quality ladder than the DR-Z or SV-650K7 I also owned.
No wonder they partnered with Kawasaki a few years ago. :)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: R2 running with the (Big Dogs)sport bikes today.   R2 running with the (Big Dogs)sport bikes today. Empty

Back to top Go down

R2 running with the (Big Dogs)sport bikes today.
Page 1 of 1