Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Anybody using this...

Go down 
+2
malibu_dan
David Haynes
6 posters
AuthorMessage
David Haynes

David Haynes

Anybody using this... Empty
PostSubject: Anybody using this...   Anybody using this... EmptySun Mar 28, 2010 1:35 pm

...from Laminar Lip?

Anybody using this... Wr250web

If so, which model? How much? Available in tinted color?
Back to top Go down
malibu_dan

malibu_dan

PostSubject: Re: Anybody using this...   Anybody using this... EmptySun Mar 28, 2010 11:06 pm

KLR650 Model http://www.laminarlip.com/klr650.php

2007 model and older. Clear only (you could call and check) to the best of my knowledge.
Back to top Go down
derm75

PostSubject: Another option   Anybody using this... EmptyMon Mar 29, 2010 7:55 am

I just installed the Suzuki B-King model http://www.laminarlip.com/bking.php last night and will test it out on Wednesday. Check out this thread http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=10616884&highlight=laminar+dr650#post10616884
Back to top Go down
David Haynes

David Haynes

PostSubject: Like the Looks of that one...   Anybody using this... EmptyMon Mar 29, 2010 11:36 am

derm75 wrote:
I just installed the Suzuki B-King model http://www.laminarlip.com/bking.php last night and will test it out on Wednesday. Check out this thread http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=10616884&highlight=laminar+dr650#post10616884

Thanks for the link and info.That one looks more promising to me than the shorter one I found a photo of.

Please post back after testing and it'd be great to see some photos of it mounted on your bike.
Back to top Go down
derm75

PostSubject: Re: Anybody using this...   Anybody using this... EmptyThu Apr 01, 2010 11:38 pm

derm75 wrote:

Ok. So I installed and rode with my new Laminar Lip on yesterday. I did about 200 miles of highway, 20 miles of gravel road, and a few miles worth of off-roading at a sprawling OHV park. My initial impression is that it is not bad, but not especially good either. There was definitely calm air in front of my chest and clean air on my helmet (I'm 5' 9"). The transition from calm air to clean air is pretty quick, just a little turbulent air near my chin. This all sounds positive, and it is, but I still felt fatigued at the end of the day.
I should probably comment on the overall conditions and my expectations for this trip. This was the Eastern Plains of Colorado, and it wasn't warm. 40 degrees when we left at 7am from Golden, Co. Our destination was Pawnee OHV area. I sort let my friend be in charge of this trip, meaning neither of us really looked to see how far it was. I was thinking it was 60 miles one way, our route ended up being closer to 110 miles one way. So it ended up being a longer day in the saddle on mostly county highway roads in an area that isn't particularly scenic. I think being bored and cold made me less than enthusiastic about the new windshield.
Other positive comments:

-installed easily
-seems secure up to 70mph in windy conditions
-didn't interfere with standing on steep ascents or descents

The only negative I can come up with right now is that it interferes with mounting my Wolfman Enduro Carry-All, which I only have used on 1 big trip. It is probably possible to drill holes through the windshield down low to pass the straps through to go around the handlebars.

Some pics:
Anybody using this... 100_1028

Anybody using this... 100_1031

Anybody using this... 100_1032

Anybody using this... 100_1030

I guess I don't really know what my expectations were for this product. To feel like I was sitting behind the faring on a touring bike? Probably not. Some relief from buffeting? Sure. My old school KLR had the stock windshield and the WRR with no shield feels smoother than that. I need to do some more riding to get a better feel for this new screen, but feel free to ask questions. I also put a piece of clear packing tape on the inside of the shield where the brake cable makes contact to protect it after I got home and found some wear.
Back to top Go down
greer

PostSubject: Re: Anybody using this...   Anybody using this... EmptyFri Apr 02, 2010 5:06 am

It sure looks good on the bike. Do holler back when you've run a few more miles in more pleasant conditions. Thanks.

Sarah
Back to top Go down
derm75

PostSubject: More testing   Anybody using this... EmptyWed Apr 14, 2010 8:53 am

I got another ride in with my new windshield on and I'm feeling better about it. Rode a few hours of paved/gravel/jeep trails and it seems to be working out. One thing I noticed is that the lack of air on my chest made me notice it more where it was, on my arms and shoulders. I guessing a couple more rides and I won't notice it any more.
Really, for this bike I don't know if you'll find an easier, more effective wind screen. YMMV.

Jeremy
Back to top Go down
greer

PostSubject: Re: Anybody using this...   Anybody using this... EmptyWed Apr 14, 2010 1:05 pm

Good to hear. Something to consider in case I need a bit more than the HF shield. Thanks

Sarah
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Anybody using this...   Anybody using this... EmptyWed Apr 14, 2010 3:07 pm

[threadjack] How do you like those mirrors? Can you see behind you well? I like those lots and might consider them if you report that they work well.

What model are they and where'd you get them from? [/threadjack]

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
texasreb

PostSubject: Re: Anybody using this...   Anybody using this... EmptyWed Apr 14, 2010 6:21 pm

Ditto on the mirrors. What brand are they and where did you get them?
Back to top Go down
derm75

PostSubject: mirrors   Anybody using this... EmptyWed Apr 14, 2010 10:39 pm

The mirrors came from Dual Star http://www.dual-star.com/index2/Equipment/adjustable_mirror.htm It's hard to see directly behind you, I have to shift my hips to one side or the other for an instant to see what is right behind me, but they work great for seeing what's next to you. My ordering experience was pretty bad, Dual Star has a website but you have to call and talk to someone to order and sometimes the line is busy. I ordered mine last summer and they were backordered and I think it took something like a six weeks for them to arrive, long enough that I had given up and forgotten about them. Several times I tried to call them for updates and they were out of the office and I couldn't even leave a message. Dual Star doesn't even have email for customer service questions, only for the person who manages the website. I'm pretty surprised a business with a website as large as theirs doesn't have email. scratch Good products, questionable customer service.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anybody using this...   Anybody using this... Empty

Back to top Go down

Anybody using this...
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum :: Technical :: Sweet Mods & Bike Accessories-
Jump to: