Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Edge Tail Light question

Go down 
+4
YZEtc
Matty
abchel
Midnite171
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Midnite171

Midnite171

Edge Tail Light question Empty
PostSubject: Edge Tail Light question   Edge Tail Light question EmptySun May 02, 2010 11:17 am

OK, So I am ready to spring for the Edge Tail Light and get rid of the mess that's behind my fender now. The list of exactly what I am ordering is;

DRC Edge-2 WR250R/X Aluminum Holder Kit
and
601 MOTOLED LED Flashers

My question is: Is there anything else I will need to hook this up? Electrical or anything? Also is $85 about right for the holder kit?
Back to top Go down
abchel

abchel

PostSubject: Re: Edge Tail Light question   Edge Tail Light question EmptySun May 02, 2010 11:27 am

If you do not want to cut the leads on your old flashers and tail light you will need to buy after market leads/plugs.
Back to top Go down
Midnite171

Midnite171

PostSubject: Re: Edge Tail Light question   Edge Tail Light question EmptySun May 02, 2010 11:35 am

I'm not too worried about that, however I just read on Langston Motorsports.com that this is NOT a DOT legal tail light!!!! Whaaaat???
Back to top Go down
Matty

Matty

PostSubject: Re: Edge Tail Light question   Edge Tail Light question EmptySun May 02, 2010 12:14 pm

Midnite171 wrote:
I'm not too worried about that, however I just read on Langston Motorsports.com that this is NOT a DOT legal tail light!!!! Whaaaat???
Haven't been stoped yet, lol. The tail light isn't as bright as stock, but still bright enough to see, and the blinkers are decent. i tend to usually use hand signals when making a right or left when cagers are present though.
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: Edge Tail Light question   Edge Tail Light question EmptySun May 02, 2010 12:38 pm

Midnite171 wrote:

That's correct.
That's how a lot aftermarket taillights and turn signal lights are (and they often don't even call them turn signal lights, but marker lights, instead).
That's what happens when they make them so small and gucci. :)
Back to top Go down
Midnite171

Midnite171

PostSubject: Re: Edge Tail Light question   Edge Tail Light question EmptySun May 02, 2010 1:05 pm

Well I guess it depends on how knowledgeable and/or jerky the police who pulls you over is. We DO have alot of DOT cops around here but they mostly stick to pulling trucks over. I'm sure if I get pulled over by a local cop, and he see's that I have a brake light with directionals, that might be enough for him. I think he would have to be REALLY familiar with the Edge Tail Light in particular to know that's it's not completely legal.

I will probably go for it. Although, my local bike shop that does inspections would probably know that it isn't DOT approved and I would have to put the old contraption back on for inspection time.
Back to top Go down
njbill

njbill

PostSubject: Re: Edge Tail Light question   Edge Tail Light question EmptySun May 02, 2010 8:37 pm

Midnite171 wrote:

Does your state have inspection for motorcycles? If no, you only have to consider visibility concerns.
Back to top Go down
Chief_Lee_Visceral

PostSubject: Re: Edge Tail Light question   Edge Tail Light question EmptyMon May 03, 2010 1:37 pm

If you go with the 601 MOTOLED LED Flashers then pay careful attention to the rubber stalk fitting. If that flexes too much like mine have you will break the wires inside. I especially had trouble with the left side from my old leg kicking it when climbing on. Of course if the bike lies on them then you can be guaranteed that they will pull off the stalk and then the only thing holding them on are the wires. I soldered mine back together just last night.

I am making them work until I can find something more trail proof but also gets the separation called for by DOT spec. If someone built the LED housing and stalk molded as one piece that would flex and have the stalk inside diameter big enough to put some slack wire into that would work I think.
Back to top Go down
Midnite171

Midnite171

PostSubject: Re: Edge Tail Light question   Edge Tail Light question EmptyMon May 03, 2010 1:51 pm

Yes my state has inspections for bikes. I will put my old rear end back on when inspection time comes. And I will have to watch out for them blinker wires. Maybe I can do something to give them some slack. And the blinkers don't flex that much? That could be a problem. They need some really flexible rubber mounts or something.
Back to top Go down
Chief_Lee_Visceral

PostSubject: Re: Edge Tail Light question   Edge Tail Light question EmptyMon May 03, 2010 2:02 pm

Midnite171 wrote:
Yes my state has inspections for bikes. I will put my old rear end back on when inspection time comes. And I will have to watch out for them blinker wires. Maybe I can do something to give them some slack. And the blinkers don't flex that much? That could be a problem. They need some really flexible rubber mounts or something.

The problem is the head pops of the short rubber stalk. When you get them they are just pushed on. I would glue, tape or whatever is you best shot to keep this from happening from the start or you are going to lose a wire and/or look goofy going down the road with them dangling.
Back to top Go down
Midnite171

Midnite171

PostSubject: Re: Edge Tail Light question   Edge Tail Light question EmptyTue May 04, 2010 7:18 pm

Ok getting my Edge tail light tomorrow and I am just wondering how difficult will it be to wire it up??? I guess I will be cutting into the existing wiring leading to my original tail light, so I guess I am just cutting and splicing, right? I didn't order leads or connectors. Should I have? Can/should I get some at the auto store?
Back to top Go down
Hertz

Hertz

PostSubject: Re: Edge Tail Light question   Edge Tail Light question EmptyTue May 04, 2010 11:58 pm

DRC kit from WheelingCycle (Tips maybe)?? - Supermoto Junkie

I used that post when I installed mine. Lots of good info.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Edge Tail Light question   Edge Tail Light question EmptyWed May 05, 2010 6:26 am

Midnite171 wrote:
Ok getting my Edge tail light tomorrow and I am just wondering how difficult will it be to wire it up??? I guess I will be cutting into the existing wiring leading to my original tail light, so I guess I am just cutting and splicing, right? I didn't order leads or connectors. Should I have? Can/should I get some at the auto store?

So easy I did it.

I did buy some crimp-on push/pull connectors, but splicing and taping would work too.

Pretty simple stuff, I do wish Yamaha had used push/pull connectors rather than hardwiring everything though. Guess they did not want you changing out their shitty fender. Edge Tail Light question 622730

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Edge Tail Light question   Edge Tail Light question Empty

Back to top Go down

Edge Tail Light question
Page 1 of 1