Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

I'm going on a dualsport ride, what do I take?

Go down 
+5
rydnseek
Tammy
Boondocker
SheWolf
Captain Midnight
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Captain Midnight

Captain Midnight

I'm going on a dualsport ride, what do I take? Empty
PostSubject: I'm going on a dualsport ride, what do I take?   I'm going on a dualsport ride, what do I take? EmptyWed May 26, 2010 2:01 am

I'm going on a dualsport ride. It's about a hundred miles to get there. I would like to ride to the starting point with my road gear on, but what do I do with my road gear when I change into my trail gear? I tried carying it with me in a pack once, but that was a real strain. Maybe I could hide it in the woods and retreve it later?
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: I'm going on a dualsport ride, what do I take?   I'm going on a dualsport ride, what do I take? EmptyWed May 26, 2010 10:42 am

I've seen guys strap their road gear to the rear fender in a backpack cause they didn't want to wear it. I guess you could hide it somewhere, but I don't think I could do that. I'm going on a dualsport ride, what do I take? 29721

Boondocker

PostSubject: Fashion Nightmare   I'm going on a dualsport ride, what do I take? EmptyWed May 26, 2010 3:38 pm

I'm a bit of a fashion nightmare, but I'd have a hard time trying to do a ride with 2 sets of gear. Thank goodness my hi-viz, lime green, Olympia AST jacket goes with everything I'm going on a dualsport ride, what do I take? 93746
Other than an MX style helmet with goggles, I don't have any dedicated "off-road" clothing yet. I wear my Olympia Air-Glide II pants (black) and Sidi On-Road boots with a textile or mesh jacket, depending on weather. My advice would be to pick the clothing that will suit (<-- pun) the majority of your riding time for the day as the best compromise. The hiding my gear in the bushes thing would drive me crazy. I've got enough in my backpack without extra duds.

Good luck and remember, the gear makes the rider.
Not!
Back to top Go down
Tammy

Tammy

PostSubject: Re: I'm going on a dualsport ride, what do I take?   I'm going on a dualsport ride, what do I take? EmptyWed May 26, 2010 9:15 pm

Burn it, your going to have soooo much fun your never going to ride a street bike as long as you can find dirt cheers
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: I'm going on a dualsport ride, what do I take?   I'm going on a dualsport ride, what do I take? EmptyWed May 26, 2010 9:26 pm

*chuckles* Unless you're like Tammy and get a Wee. Now...there's an interesting scenario. Wee or Wrrrrr..... I'm going on a dualsport ride, what do I take? 93746

rydnseek

PostSubject: Re: I'm going on a dualsport ride, what do I take?   I'm going on a dualsport ride, what do I take? EmptyWed May 26, 2010 10:21 pm

I like one set of gear for all purposes.. there's some compromises for each riding style, but that's what dual sporting is about. I usually wear a street style jacket with armor.. mesh, textile or leather depending on weather. Then, either moto pants or street overpants with full moto boots & knee protection. Street gloves protect better, so i usually wear them, anyway. I have worn different helmets.. any will do both ok, but a moto helmet catches wind, stings in the rain, & is a little less comfortable on long road rides. A street helmet can be problematic flipping up the visor in more difficult technical sections. I like either the modular style helmets, or the so-called dual sport helmets, with a clear shield over the face but lighter & shaped more like a moto helmet, with a smaller visor that doesn't catch the wind as much.

Looking at my mismatched riding gear, you would never guess that i am a high fashion clothes horse.. but sometimes what works the best also looks pretty good. My white Sidi boots do the most clashing with a black jacket & pants, but they offer the best protection, so i wear them.

Last week i had on a silver mesh jacket, with maroon & yellow moto pants.. Tom tried to not look at me very much, but i explained that i have been moving & couldn't find all my matching gear. I don't think he bought it.. since i usually wear mismatched stuff all the time.

My riding buddies all wear matched, new, & the latest style riding gear.. & boy do they look good! But if they don't compliment me about my unique riding gear, i start to sulk & pout, so they quickly add how nice i look, too. I cheer up some, & get back to the ride.

I'm going on a dualsport ride, what do I take? Img_1210

It was hard for Tom to take this pic while not looking through the viewfinder..
Back to top Go down
skierd

PostSubject: Re: I'm going on a dualsport ride, what do I take?   I'm going on a dualsport ride, what do I take? EmptyThu May 27, 2010 12:18 am

Depends on the weather and the intended riding more than anything, but I only bring the set of riding gear I'm wearing when I leave the house. Any combination of my street and dirt gear is fair game:

Helmets: Shoei RF-1000 or HJC CL-X5N with ProGrip goggles
Jackets: Rev'It Air (mesh), Fieldsheer Aston (leather), 661 Pressure suit+jersey
pants: Rev'It Rotor (mesh), Olympia AirGlide2 (mesh or lined, plus pants underneath), Klim Baja (mesh dirt), Volcom snowboarding pants (cold weather DS)
boots: Alpinestars Scout - fit with all pants, with either EVS knee guards or the pant's own armor
gloves: Fox dirtpaws, joe rocket sonic (leather), olympia winter gloves
Back to top Go down
john92

PostSubject: Re: I'm going on a dualsport ride, what do I take?   I'm going on a dualsport ride, what do I take? EmptyThu May 27, 2010 12:35 am

I like looking like a motocrosser riding right down the road. It makes it seem even more like you don't belong there. I'm going on a dualsport ride, what do I take? 810411
Back to top Go down
viroid

PostSubject: Re: I'm going on a dualsport ride, what do I take?   I'm going on a dualsport ride, what do I take? EmptyFri Oct 15, 2010 11:37 am

I have the Olympia Air-Glide II Mesh Jacket (hi-viz yellow) and Air-Glide Pants (black).. Pretty much wear it for everything.
Back to top Go down
Captain Midnight

Captain Midnight

PostSubject: Re: I'm going on a dualsport ride, what do I take?   I'm going on a dualsport ride, what do I take? EmptyFri Dec 09, 2011 6:36 pm

viroid wrote:
I have the Olympia Air-Glide II Mesh Jacket (hi-viz yellow) and Air-Glide Pants (black).. Pretty much wear it for everything.

Are they waterproof? How do they do on the highway at 39 degrees.
Back to top Go down
X-Racer

X-Racer

PostSubject: Re: I'm going on a dualsport ride, what do I take?   I'm going on a dualsport ride, what do I take? EmptyFri Dec 09, 2011 9:51 pm

39 degrees down the hiway ? Yikes.

Not with something less than my First Gear Kilimanjaro jacket. No way.... :nono:

It'd better be a short ride or You're a better man than I am Gungadin....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I'm going on a dualsport ride, what do I take?   I'm going on a dualsport ride, what do I take? Empty

Back to top Go down

I'm going on a dualsport ride, what do I take?
Page 1 of 1