Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Front fork air relief valves

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
spidersoup

spidersoup

Front fork air relief valves Empty
PostSubject: Front fork air relief valves   Front fork air relief valves EmptySun Jun 13, 2010 8:17 am

I realize what these air bleeder valves in the front shock do, but why and when would I need to do that? I've never had to do this on a bike before and Google threw up a dog's breakfast for search results. I'm a bigger guy and I don't want to wreck my suspenders.
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: Front fork air relief valves   Front fork air relief valves EmptySun Jun 13, 2010 8:48 am

The forks will pump up with a bit of air pressure over time, even after just one ride or a 24 hour period.
The current way to do things with front suspension on your typical motorcycle is to have zero air pressure in them when the front suspension is fully extended.
Basically, the way I understand it, after decades of engineers and manufacturers fooling around with motorcycle front forks on production bikes, they've decided that zero air pressure gives the best suspension action.
The bleeder screws are there to allow letting any built-up pressure out.

I do mine before I leave the garage each day. :)
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Front fork air relief valves   Front fork air relief valves EmptySun Jun 13, 2010 10:22 am

Front fork air relief valves IMG_1283

Get some of those. All you do it push the button to release the air and don't have to unscrew it every time. thumb

spidersoup

PostSubject: Re: Front fork air relief valves   Front fork air relief valves EmptySun Jun 13, 2010 12:38 pm

I actually kept searching after writing that and learned more about it, but I tell you, YZEtc. yours is about the easiest to understand. OK, so with the forks completely extended without load (topped out ;) ) there should be no air pressure or vacuum in the fork tubes. Understood. Thank you.

SheWolf - that looks like the Motion Pro type of bleeder valve. I'm seeing mixed reviews for bleeder valves in general. How long have you had those and have you tried any others? Ramsey has a lower profile set and the biggest complaint about these things is breaking off during installation or a spill. I just can't see how they would break in a wipeout in the area they are in. The rest of the bike would be in worse shape if they did.
Back to top Go down
Boondocker

Boondocker

PostSubject: Speed Bleed Valves   Front fork air relief valves EmptySun Jun 13, 2010 3:32 pm

I read the manual about the fork air bleed procedure. After doing it a few times, I decided it was a PITA and for $35 I could get these pretty little blue spring loaded bleeder valves. Now bleeding air out of the forks is fun Front fork air relief valves 379944 Pushing the little blue button gives a satisfying poosh sound that makes me smile. Isn't that worth the price of admission? As for durability, dunno yet. Let's just say that the original screws are plenty small that I can afford to keep them in my tool kit just in case.
I thought they were kind of expensive, at least on a price per pound basis, but they are a fair bit of engineering. System Tech Racing is the vendor.

Front fork air relief valves 899619541_Ko8ZX-M
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Front fork air relief valves   Front fork air relief valves EmptySun Jun 13, 2010 5:46 pm

These things don't touch anything when the bike decides to take a nap. It's easy to get to, easy to pull out for whatever reason, and cheap. The height doesn't seem to make any difference; they don't interfere with anything.

spidersoup

PostSubject: Re: Front fork air relief valves   Front fork air relief valves EmptyMon Jun 14, 2010 8:52 pm

Thanks all. I ordered the STR kind. They're low profile and look cool anyway. I got them in red so they should look pretty trick. If someone asks what they're for I'll say it's so I can do this with my bike. East coast ya'll. Represent.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Front fork air relief valves   Front fork air relief valves Empty

Back to top Go down

Front fork air relief valves
Page 1 of 1