Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

put a 50 tooth on today

Go down 
+3
Matty
motokid
picard
7 posters
AuthorMessage
picard

picard

put a 50 tooth on today Empty
PostSubject: put a 50 tooth on today   put a 50 tooth on today EmptySat Jun 26, 2010 12:50 am

I put a 50 tooth sprocket on the rear today I think this is the largest sprocket that will work with the stock chain guard and guide. About 1/8" clearance between the chain guard and the top of the chain, the guide has more than that (1/2" or so) and will work without problems. Ordered the "Primary Drive" brand from RM ATV/MC along with their gold x-ring chain 112 links. Less than $90 total. This way I will be ready when the Mitas tires will get here which are a hair taller than the stock tires (I ordered the 100/100 size for the rear).
6th gear was pretty much useless in the mountains here (base altitude 6,000 feet and most of my summer riding is around 8,000 up to 12,000+ feet). This will fix that. Speedo will probably be off by 20% now ;-)
Will report back once I have some more trail miles in.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: put a 50 tooth on today   put a 50 tooth on today EmptySat Jun 26, 2010 8:55 am

Yeah....I have an X model with a 13t front and 48t rear. My speedo correction factor was 22.4%

If you really want to know how far off you are go to the 12 o'clock Labs web page. Theres a calculator there. You can even figure in your tire size along with gearing for a very accurate error percentage.

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
Matty

Matty

PostSubject: Re: put a 50 tooth on today   put a 50 tooth on today EmptySat Jun 26, 2010 11:25 am

Picard... where in CO you live??

A couple of us are heading out to Fairplay tomorrow the 27th early in the morning.
Back to top Go down
rokka

rokka

PostSubject: Re: put a 50 tooth on today   put a 50 tooth on today EmptySat Jun 26, 2010 11:57 am

picard wrote:
I put a 50 tooth sprocket on the rear today I think this is the largest sprocket that will work with the stock chain guard and guide. About 1/8" clearance between the chain guard and the top of the chain, the guide has more than that (1/2" or so) and will work without problems. Ordered the "Primary Drive" brand from RM ATV/MC along with their gold x-ring chain 112 links. Less than $90 total. This way I will be ready when the Mitas tires will get here which are a hair taller than the stock tires (I ordered the 100/100 size for the rear).
6th gear was pretty much useless in the mountains here (base altitude 6,000 feet and most of my summer riding is around 8,000 up to 12,000+ feet). This will fix that. Speedo will probably be off by 20% now ;-)

Well ihave 13/52 on my WRR and it seems to funktion very god.
Back to top Go down
picard

picard

PostSubject: Re: put a 50 tooth on today   put a 50 tooth on today EmptySat Jun 26, 2010 9:56 pm

Matty wrote:

A couple of us are heading out to Fairplay tomorrow the 27th early in the morning.

I'm in Boulder. Can't do tomorrow too much stuff to do around here... Have fun and please let me know when you head out next time!
Back to top Go down
Matty

Matty

PostSubject: Re: put a 50 tooth on today   put a 50 tooth on today EmptySat Jun 26, 2010 9:58 pm

picard wrote:
Matty wrote:

I'm in Boulder. Can't do tomorrow too much stuff to do around here... Have fun and please let me know when you head out next time!

Will do.

Let me know when you're free. I usually hit up Rampart once or twice a week or head over to Switzerland trail out near Boulder.
Back to top Go down
picard

picard

PostSubject: Re: put a 50 tooth on today   put a 50 tooth on today EmptySun Jun 27, 2010 7:00 pm

Ended up and got out for an hour or so around lunch time. Rode the Switz and the gearing feels good for off road. Mostly 2nd and 3rd - I'm a little rusty. Thought about trying Caribou but there is a lot of water ;-)
Good power now in the mid range and up top. On the highway I can click into 6th around 50 mph and have good acceleration. 6th was pretty much useless at this altitude with stock gearing. Speedo is 22% off :-)
This is such a nice motorcycle.

Matty et al - hope you had a great day!
Back to top Go down
Matty

Matty

PostSubject: Re: put a 50 tooth on today   put a 50 tooth on today EmptySun Jun 27, 2010 7:21 pm

picard wrote:
Ended up and got out for an hour or so around lunch time. Rode the Switz and the gearing feels good for off road. Mostly 2nd and 3rd - I'm a little rusty. Thought about trying Caribou but there is a lot of water ;-)
Good power now in the mid range and up top. On the highway I can click into 6th around 50 mph and have good acceleration. 6th was pretty much useless at this altitude with stock gearing. Speedo is 22% off :-)
This is such a nice motorcycle.

Matty et al - hope you had a great day!

good except for my deciding to bust it's radiator and fan when it went to sleep on a pretty seep incline. oh well.
Back to top Go down
picard

picard

PostSubject: Re: put a 50 tooth on today   put a 50 tooth on today EmptySun Jun 27, 2010 7:38 pm

Matty wrote:
good except for my deciding to bust it's radiator and fan when it went to sleep on a pretty seep incline. oh well.
Oh no! How did you get home?
Back to top Go down
Matty

Matty

PostSubject: Re: put a 50 tooth on today   put a 50 tooth on today EmptySun Jun 27, 2010 8:09 pm

picard wrote:
Matty wrote:

very fast and in high gears, lol. we trucked the bikes up from Denver. So i only had to go about 15 miles from where i crashed to the trucks..
Back to top Go down
picard

picard

PostSubject: Re: put a 50 tooth on today   put a 50 tooth on today EmptySun Jun 27, 2010 8:11 pm

Matty wrote:
picard wrote:
Matty wrote:

very fast and in high gears, lol. we trucked the bikes up from Denver. So i only had to go about 15 miles from where i crashed to the trucks..

Glad you made it home and I hope you're well. Let's try and ride together when your bike is back up and running.
Back to top Go down
Matty

Matty

PostSubject: Re: put a 50 tooth on today   put a 50 tooth on today EmptySun Jun 27, 2010 10:50 pm

picard wrote:
Matty wrote:
picard wrote:
Matty wrote:

Glad you made it home and I hope you're well. Let's try and ride together when your bike is back up and running.
sounds good.
Back to top Go down
Stubbz

Stubbz

PostSubject: Re: put a 50 tooth on today   put a 50 tooth on today EmptyWed Feb 23, 2011 4:20 pm

motokid wrote:
Yeah....I have an X model with a 13t front and 48t rear. My speedo correction factor was 22.4%

If you really want to know how far off you are go to the 12 o'clock Labs web page. Theres a calculator there. You can even figure in your tire size along with gearing for a very accurate error percentage.

i'm guessing you didn't factor in the 7.7% of factory speedo being off in stock trim. my setting is 13/49 and my ratio according to 12oclocklabs is 22.0% so with one tooth less on back you shouldn't be above 22%
Back to top Go down
Evol

Evol

PostSubject: Re: put a 50 tooth on today   put a 50 tooth on today EmptySun Nov 16, 2014 11:38 am

picard wrote:
Ordered the "Primary Drive" brand from RM ATV/MC along with their gold x-ring chain 112 links. Less than $90 total.
I know this is an old thread, but could you update us on the quality of the Primary Drive products?
Also, I believe the chain comes with a master link, is it rivet or spring-clip type?
Thanks...
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

PostSubject: Re: put a 50 tooth on today   put a 50 tooth on today EmptySun Nov 16, 2014 1:13 pm

Evol wrote:
picard wrote:
Ordered the "Primary Drive" brand from RM ATV/MC along with their gold x-ring chain 112 links. Less than $90 total.
I know this is an old thread, but could you update us on the quality of the Primary Drive products?
Also, I believe the chain comes with a master link, is it rivet or spring-clip type?
Thanks...

Use their rear sprockets on just about all my bikes - so far no worries.

Have their chain and rear sprocket on my WRR and have about 6000 miles on them with no issues. I believe it came with a clip style link and that is what I installed. I have had issues rivet style master links (mainly during the install) but haven't had an issue with a clip style (yet). Basically I really don't have a preference when it comes to the master link style and will use what they ship with the chain.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: put a 50 tooth on today   put a 50 tooth on today Empty

Back to top Go down

put a 50 tooth on today
Page 1 of 1