Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Iron Butt on the X - Hydration?

Go down 
+6
dtx
Jersey Devil
Matty
rydnseek
SheWolf
xcel
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
xcel

xcel

Iron Butt on the X - Hydration? Empty
PostSubject: Iron Butt on the X - Hydration?   Iron Butt on the X - Hydration? EmptySat Jul 03, 2010 10:06 pm

Hi All:

Planning an Iron Butt to the East Coast on the WR later this month and want to know what kind of hydration systems some have used with success in the past? I have read about straw like systems with caps to std. plastic bottles but not sure how great they work or the straw mounting. Back packs sound ok but not for 1,000 mile ride in 24-hours on a WR.

Anyway, just asking for some advice and any comments would be greatly appreciated...

TIA

Wayne
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Iron Butt on the X - Hydration?   Iron Butt on the X - Hydration? EmptySat Jul 03, 2010 11:20 pm

Yeah, the only thing I've ever used was a combination Camelbak/2L pop bottle setup. dunno

rydnseek

PostSubject: Re: Iron Butt on the X - Hydration?   Iron Butt on the X - Hydration? EmptySun Jul 04, 2010 9:21 am

I don't drink enough.. but on a long road trip, i'd probably just get a gatorade every time i stopped for gas.. maybe with a 1L bottle of water in my tank bag, too. If i'm in a lot of hot, long off road, i usually have 2 bottles in my bag. I don't care for wearing a backpack while riding.

Most enduro type riders wear the camelback. You can go a long way without stopping, keep hydrated while riding, pack ice in it for back cooling, & it provides a little more protection in a crash. Almost everyone i ride with wears a camelback type backpack bladder.

But i stop every so often to take pictures of pretty flowers, & my range is limited with the stock tank, & i don't like to ride in the real hot areas off road, so a water bottle or powerade in my tank bag works for me. I ask at the gas stations, & they always let me fill my water bottle with ice & cold water from their soda machines.
Back to top Go down
Matty

Matty

PostSubject: Re: Iron Butt on the X - Hydration?   Iron Butt on the X - Hydration? EmptySun Jul 04, 2010 10:35 am

Get one of those camelback that is just that. Don't buy the bulky backpack types with the hydration system built in. The one i use, is as baisc as you can get. And being 100% honest i've had it completely full and can barely feel it on my back.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Iron Butt on the X - Hydration?   Iron Butt on the X - Hydration? EmptySun Jul 04, 2010 10:40 am

+10 thumb

Jersey Devil

PostSubject: Re: Iron Butt on the X - Hydration?   Iron Butt on the X - Hydration? EmptySun Jul 04, 2010 4:35 pm

Stand alone Camelbak hydration system. Not the one with a backpack incorporated into it. I liked using the SABRE and the VIPER systems.
Just like Matty said-can barely feel it on your back-then again I am used to carrying an extra 30-40 pounds in a pack anyhow. So 70-102 oz. of liquid is nothing.
As backup I carry a bottle of Gatorade in the Wolfman tank bag; sometimes you cant always find a good place to fill up plus you'll need the electrolytes.
Drink when your not even thirsty too. Being thirsty is a signal that you are already low on hydration.
Back to top Go down
dtx

dtx

PostSubject: Re: Iron Butt on the X - Hydration?   Iron Butt on the X - Hydration? EmptySun Jul 04, 2010 4:47 pm

you thinking about the new england 1000 ?
Back to top Go down
xcel

xcel

PostSubject: Re: Iron Butt on the X - Hydration?   Iron Butt on the X - Hydration? EmptySun Jul 04, 2010 6:07 pm

Hi DTX:

I have to start a Cross Country 100-mpg WR250X Adventure Tourer - Project Bike and then the Challenge attempt beginning in Boston, MA as that is where the East Coast terminus of US Highway 20 begins. Since I have to start in Boston, I may as well knock out an “Iron Butt” on the WR from my home on the IL/WI/Lake Michigan border to Boston, MA (1,055 miles). I have driven that long of a distance in any number of automobiles and trucks (in excess of 1,000 miles in a day) and my almost 600-mile day on the GS last week gave me the idea that I should probably attempt it on the WR250X. I hope it’s doable but I am afraid my rear end will be screaming after just 250 miles… See below.

Thanks to you for all the excellent responses regarding the hydration solutions!

Jersey Devil, I sent in a request for either a CamelBak Sabre or a Hi Viz (70 ounce in hi Viz with breakaway straps) to CamelBak directly and hopefully they can supply.

I am still thinking about ordering a bite tube with standard cap to a number of standard 12, 20 and 32 oz bottles from Aerostich (http://www.aerostich.com/packing-it-in/hydration-and-cooling/water-bottles-and-drink-holders/drinking-tube-kit.html) and following SheWolf’s and Scott’s lead with a stop and drink every 150 + miles during a quick fuel fill as well but at least I can sleep a little more comfortably with the knowledge that many of you have thousands of real world motorcycle miles behind you while using the CamelBak systems. I have seen them on hundreds of riders but what concerns me is the air flow through my Darien being hampered while wearing one of their backpack systems. The Sabre in particular is a thin unit which follows the Darien’s back pad but clamped up against the back of the Darien may close off some of the air flow? Can the CamelBak’s be left loose or do most of you tighten them up to your jackets?

Also, how are most of you attaching the bite tube within your helmets?

I have never used one of these setups as I have always stopped every 50 to 200-miles and taken a breather with a lot of hydration from cans, bottles, cups, water fountains, whatever. During an Iron Butt, stopping and lollygagging around for 30-minutes out of every 2 hours is not such a good idea from my reads of the many that have ridden the distance in the past. At least according to the old stories posted on the Iron Butt web site?

This should be an interesting experience as the ride is closing in and it is almost time to put up or shut up.

If I can just figure out how to take care of the long distance seat problem? Somebody posted a goofy setup called Sweetcheeks the other day that appears to go along ways to match a Renazco (James could not build the seat in the time frame I had unfortunately :() , a Roho AirHawk (still considering this option) and even Scott’s homemade WR Super Saddle™! I have to get that problem figured out pronto as time is running very short indeed.

Thanks again and if you have other suggestions for hydration, by all means, please post them!

PS: I did not mention this yet but the WR seems more stretched out than the 1200 GS I was on all last week. I have some ProMoto Billit/FastWay F3 Pegs with the lowboy option ready to install when the Project Bike build begins which should make it even more stretched out and comfortable for the long ride ahead! Looking over the boxes and boxes of farkles (plus a pair of Avon Distnazia's) for this WR250X Project is making me drool. I cannot wait to get her naked and begin the installation process Iron Butt on the X - Hydration? 810411

Wayne

Last edited by xcel on Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:14 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Iron Butt on the X - Hydration?   Iron Butt on the X - Hydration? EmptySun Jul 04, 2010 8:12 pm

My hydration pack doesn't seem to hinder the ventilation of the jacket any; the shell of the pack is a mesh combination which allows for heat dissipation. I haven't overheated wearing the pack. As for the bite tube, mine comes over the right shoulder strap, and naturally curves towards the helmet. I have an O-ring on the helmet strap that I feed the hose thru and keeps the mouthpiece right at my yap. It's loose enuf that when I turn my head the hose slides back and forth, so I can suck on it no matter what way my head turns. thumb

ZED

PostSubject: Re: Iron Butt on the X - Hydration?   Iron Butt on the X - Hydration? EmptySun Jul 04, 2010 11:53 pm

Hydration is the easy part of doing an IB on a WR. Use a camel back and top it up when you fill the tank.

The real challenge to an 1000 miles in 24 hours is the butt!!!!
My wife and I have done some looonnnggg stretches on the KLRs, but the WR is murder compared to that. Hopefully you're putting at least as much attention on the saddle as you are on the hydration part of the equation.

Hats off to you if you do it with a WR. That'll show up the wusses on their big touring couches. thumb
Back to top Go down
dtx

dtx

PostSubject: Re: Iron Butt on the X - Hydration?   Iron Butt on the X - Hydration? EmptyMon Jul 05, 2010 11:56 am

an iba plate on a 250r/x,you do this and you are THE MAN !! Good luck !

do you plan on running rt20 all the way acrossed mass ? it is dam near stoplight to stoplight all the was to n.y state ?
Get on the pike 90 or you will never get out of mass, i live just off rt20 mid state.
Back to top Go down
mash100

mash100

PostSubject: Re: Iron Butt on the X - Hydration?   Iron Butt on the X - Hydration? EmptyMon Jul 05, 2010 2:36 pm

xcel wrote:
Hi All:

Planning an Iron Butt to the East Coast on the WR later this month and want to know what kind of hydration systems some have used with success in the past? I have read about straw like systems with caps to std. plastic bottles but not sure how great they work or the straw mounting. Back packs sound ok but not for 1,000 mile ride in 24-hours on a WR.

Anyway, just asking for some advice and any comments would be greatly appreciated...

TIA

Wayne
1000 miles in 24 hours on a WR bow bow bow bow bow bow bow bow bow bow bow bow
However you get water, just remember to pack a catering quanity of moisturising cream (maybe aloe-vera), as your but is going to S-T-I-N-G!!!!
Good luck, & seriously, RESPECT!
Back to top Go down
xcel

xcel

PostSubject: Re: Iron Butt on the X - Hydration?   Iron Butt on the X - Hydration? EmptyMon Jul 05, 2010 3:50 pm

Hi ZED:

Still working on the seat thing. If you can believe it, I was dreaming about the seat this morning. I think that Sweetcheeks product with 3 or 4 of my Honda/Acura Neck pillows in the center and possibly a sheepskin covering over the entire mess will work? I have done 150-miles on the stock X seat and its a ball buster for sure! I sit in this simple office chair doing my net stuff for up to 18 hours a day and it does not have but 1" of padding max. Although it is also not hitting expansion joints at 50 + mph with the 11" of WR suspension doing what it can to relieve the jolt or vibrating with an ICE underneath at 4,500 RPM either Iron Butt on the X - Hydration? 93746 Either way, it is still a simple chair I sit in for hours on end and my butt never hurts. It has got to be the width of the dualsport seats that really matters here? I even thought of attaching a cut down office chair bottom seat to the WR but it would look so stupid even I could not stand to ride it Iron Butt on the X - Hydration? 527254

DTX, an IB ride will be I-94/80/90 from the IL/WI border all the way to Boston as time is of the essence.

After the IB, I have friends in Holyoke I will probably stay at as I have not seen them in a while. For the rest of the way back, I have the time to enjoy the scenery and punch up the FE numbers to meet the goals I have set for the WR. Stop light to stop light at 05:30 AM while in the greater Boston area is perfect while riding US 20. Around Worcester, MA, I am planning to take the 9 and meeting back up with US 20 in Pittsfield. I will continue on to a friend’s home in Albany on US 20. From Albany, I will stay on US 20 until south of Rochester where I will transition south to Alt 20. Well before Buffalo, I will begin heading south to catch up to less congested State Routes heading west and catch back up with US 20 in Toledo. From there, following it all the way to almost the IL border. Hwy 20 across IN is a really nice town to town rolling hills ride which is the kind of roads I really enjoy.

Mash100, Krabill did a 910 mile ride two or three days ago and he may even be running the stock seat!!! That is Iron Man level of Iron Butt for sure Iron Butt on the X - Hydration? 61865 I am just trying to ride to some friends I have not seen in some time while also having some fun on the WR.

Enough of that...

The Hydration problem seems to be solved thanks to everyone's input and the seat thing... That one remains a hope and a prayer ;)

Wayne
Back to top Go down
dtx

dtx

PostSubject: Re: Iron Butt on the X - Hydration?   Iron Butt on the X - Hydration? EmptyMon Jul 05, 2010 4:34 pm

i run 90 exit 8 mass, to 87 in albany,87 swings below albany and puts you back on 90, every few weeks to race.
no major construction at this time.
did you pick a start date ?
Back to top Go down
xcel

xcel

PostSubject: Re: Iron Butt on the X - Hydration?   Iron Butt on the X - Hydration? EmptyMon Jul 05, 2010 5:07 pm

Hi dtx:

I see I-87 runs up and close to the capital whereas I-90 runs down below. Is their construction on I-90 through Albany right now? Beginning early on a Saturday morning should see me running through Albany (890 miles out) around midnight so traffic should be at a minimum... I hope???

I am thinking of the morning of July 24th or 31st for the IB. The ride back will see a three day ride from the Boston area to Chicago and I will finish off the second segment from Chicago to Oregon in early to mid-August sometime... I need to find a place around Boston where I can top off the tank and then dip the X's rear tire in the Atlantic for a pic to launch the Challenge heading westIron Butt on the X - Hydration? 29721

If you or anyone else wants to come along, by all means let's make it a WRR forum IB convoy :) I can put you up at my home here north of Chicago before we leave too!

Wayne
Back to top Go down
PooTeeTat

PooTeeTat

PostSubject: Re: Iron Butt on the X - Hydration?   Iron Butt on the X - Hydration? EmptyTue Jul 06, 2010 1:02 pm

I pack my Camelbak (non-extra pocket backpack style) chock full of large ice cubes, then chilled water. I wear it under my jacket. It'll feel a little cool at first, but it'll feel awesome compared to the MonkeyButt your gonna get.

Iron Butt on the X - Hydration? Monkey10
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Iron Butt on the X - Hydration?   Iron Butt on the X - Hydration? EmptyTue Jul 06, 2010 9:50 pm

As someone who has a great deal of long distance rides, may I suggest the following:

1. Get a water system with a LONG hose. Put the water bladder in the rear tank bag. 24 hours with a Camelback on your back could get uncomfortable. You can also zip tie the water bladder to the front tank if you can't get a longer hose.

2. Wear quality bicycle spandex shorts under your riding pants. It will help prevent chaffing.

3. Use an Air Hawk air cushion on your bike. It will make major ergonomic improvement in comfort. Make sure and get the SMALL cruiser version.

4. Get an adjustable wind-screen to deflect wind from the upper body.

5. Eat PowerBars and stay away from salty, fatty foods.

6. Stretch and do push-ups, etc. during your gas stops.

7. Quality ear plugs to minimize road/wind noise.

8. Get a throttle lock etc. for being able to "lock" your throttle so you can stretch your hands when riding.

These tips should help...

Fred

Back to top Go down
xcel

xcel

PostSubject: Re: Iron Butt on the X - Hydration?   Iron Butt on the X - Hydration? EmptyWed Jul 07, 2010 12:35 pm

Hi PoTeeTat:

Probably more along the lines of that transplant Iron Butt on the X - Hydration? 93746

Fred, thanks for the reply!

1. Maybe the Aerostich water tube linked above is an option I had better have on hand then?

2. I am looking for some bike shorts with the gel packs but have not pulled the trigger just yet.

3. Airhawk is on the list with the Sweetcheeks as a backup or maybe even together.

4. A Spitfire is already here awaiting the install.

5. I am partial to Granola and Breakfast Bars when I ride. Sound ok?

6. I really like that idea and would have never heard of it before. Just stretching and such at each fuel stop.

7. Ear Plugs are always in my arsenal before I turn the key. I use the soft foam – pink 33 dB attenuation type as I find them both comfortable and have excellent dB reduction.

8. I used the Throttle Rocker on both sides of the 1200 GS all last week and they worked really really well for the 13-hour slab day including all the stops.

Some of the other items include a pair of soft Spyder grips and RoxSpeedFX 2”antivibration bar risers, I will probably add some hard foam to the top of the Fastway F3 Low Boy pegs without possibly the point inserts to reduce vibes through the pegs, the Spitfire for wind deflection as described above and a Garmin 1490T for navigation.

Anything else to tweak that you can think of?

Wayne
Back to top Go down
dtx

dtx

PostSubject: Re: Iron Butt on the X - Hydration?   Iron Butt on the X - Hydration? EmptyWed Jul 07, 2010 7:32 pm

i never run into albany,i ride around on 87. i will be out that way this weekend and will post up any road construction from exit 25b rt90 n.y,via 87 to exit 8 mass pike rt90.
Back to top Go down
xcel

xcel

PostSubject: Re: Iron Butt on the X - Hydration?   Iron Butt on the X - Hydration? EmptyWed Jul 07, 2010 8:21 pm

Hi dtx:

Thanks and let me know what you find in Albany! If there is one thing that can ruin a fun day trip, its road construction on a weekend blowing both your mpg and mph averages Iron Butt on the X - Hydration? 490865

Wayne
Back to top Go down
xcel

xcel

PostSubject: Re: Iron Butt on the X - Hydration?   Iron Butt on the X - Hydration? EmptyThu Jul 08, 2010 1:14 pm

Hi All:

I have been been reading quite a bit about riding comfort as of late. To much reading and not enough riding in fact Iron Butt on the X - Hydration? 9356

The Airhawk is still the leading contender with that Sweetcheeks add-on looking like a really good low tech solution for the bike.

For personal gear, there was a really good but older thread over at ADV on riding shorts and while some loved LDC's, others had so so luck. I am inclined to think the gel insert shorts would best fit a WR250X/R rider with the Canari Shorts currently at the top of my list. < $30 not including shipping certainly helps too! Does anyone have any negatives to add about the Canari's vs. the LDC's or maybe Aerostich's own? The EVS Ultimates are at Dennis Kirk and possibly Aerostich. These are really interesting other than they appear to go down almost to the knee? for $47.00, they might be the best of all?

I have read good things about all of them including LDC's but without that extra padding, the LDC's look the least desirable?

TIA for any personal experiences you can provide.

Wayne
Back to top Go down
dtx

dtx

PostSubject: Re: Iron Butt on the X - Hydration?   Iron Butt on the X - Hydration? EmptyThu Jul 08, 2010 7:30 pm

yep.i understand
Back to top Go down
Krabill

PostSubject: Re: Iron Butt on the X - Hydration?   Iron Butt on the X - Hydration? EmptySat Jul 10, 2010 11:58 pm

FYI - I just walked in the door from a 17 hour 1,010 mile ride. I stopped every 100 miles to top off the tank, stretch, walk around, and eat a granola bar. Camelbak was filled with water before I left and kept me hydrated the entire trip.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Iron Butt on the X - Hydration?   Iron Butt on the X - Hydration? EmptySun Jul 11, 2010 12:06 am

Which Camelbak are you using? The Rogue looks like a decent one.

xcel

PostSubject: Re: Iron Butt on the X - Hydration?   Iron Butt on the X - Hydration? EmptySun Jul 11, 2010 12:12 am

Hi Krabill:

Congratulations!!! Iron Butt on the X - Hydration? 204616I hope to join you in about two weeks!

Wayne
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Iron Butt on the X - Hydration?   Iron Butt on the X - Hydration? Empty

Back to top Go down

Iron Butt on the X - Hydration?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next