Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Bagging it

Go down 
+7
taoshum
Medski
john92
Mr. Fisherman
SheWolf
skierd
rider213
11 posters
AuthorMessage
rider213

rider213

Bagging it Empty
PostSubject: Bagging it   Bagging it EmptySat Jul 10, 2010 5:02 pm

Anyone found something that's similar, but bigger than the standard Moose rear fender bag?

Basically something that mounts right to the rear fender as opposed to using a rack mounted bag.

I've used the Moose bag on a few different bikes and it works well...but not quite big enough for a couple of water bottles/etc.

Now that Yamaha seems to be making the GYTR tail rack out of Titanium or something and has upped the price by 75.00 (from 174.95 to 249.95 MSRP)... Bagging it 527254

I'm thinking of going light on the rear fender and using a small backpack for added storage.

Soft bag out back's usually more comfy for crashing anyhow.

Best!
Back to top Go down
skierd

Bagging it Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bagging it   Bagging it EmptySat Jul 10, 2010 9:32 pm

I'd sell you my flatlands rack for less than the price increase if you're interested.

Also, these guys have the rack cheaper (but its backordered)
http://www.yamahasportsplaza.com/pages/catalogs/detail/26/203/403/53889/1/0/0/1/4/49/5345/62141/wr250r-wr250x-rear-fender-utility-rack.aspx

I've got three tail bags that I use, depending on how much I need to carry, a Kriega US-10 (small day trip crap), Kriega US-20 (main traveling bag), and wolfman enduro duffel (15.5L, in between back). All work without a tail rack, though I normally strap mine to my rack.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

Bagging it Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bagging it   Bagging it EmptySat Jul 10, 2010 11:52 pm

I've got a Wolfman Peak tailbag and it mounts without a rack. Clips right under the lip of the fender.

Mr. Fisherman

Bagging it Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bagging it   Bagging it EmptySun Jul 11, 2010 5:51 am

Not cheap, but I got a Giant Loop Mojavi bag... holds all I need and more. Now all I have on my back is a hydration pack and a couple cliff bars. Packs all I need and you do not need a rack.

Lots of info here...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=560397

Make sure to seal the seams. I am loving mine.

Bagging it 915143885_LZeSW-M
Back to top Go down
john92

Bagging it Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bagging it   Bagging it EmptySun Jul 11, 2010 6:07 am

I'm running the www.dirt-bike-gear.com large rear fender bag on mine and I like it alot. Very tuff material and holds a decent amount of stuff for its size. It also has external compression straps for strapping a jacket or something outside the bag. I also have the fastboy bag for the front and the tool wrap made by them and plan to get the headlight bag. They have nicely made stuff. Generally in the rear bag I can fit my tool wrap, water bottle or small thermos, a hat, spare headlight bulb, and a tool or two that didn't make it into the wrap. It's tight but it will fit. Since my tools are in the rear bag, I usually carry paperwork, a multi-tool and a couple granola bars in the front bag when I have it on.
Back to top Go down
rider213

rider213

Bagging it Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bagging it   Bagging it EmptySun Jul 11, 2010 11:43 am

Thanks all. Every one of those options look good. Stumbled across this one yesterday.

http://www.surftosummit.com/motorcycle-tail-bag-p-1972.html?cPath=310_320

Was thinking it could work with a little modding to bolt it to the fender.
Back to top Go down
Medski

Medski

Bagging it Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bagging it   Bagging it EmptySun Jul 11, 2010 1:30 pm

rider213 wrote:
Thanks all. Every one of those options look good. Stumbled across this one yesterday.

Ooooooh I think i may just order that one!

In blue plskthx!
Back to top Go down
taoshum

taoshum

Bagging it Empty
PostSubject: $25 rear plate...   Bagging it EmptyMon Jul 12, 2010 11:54 am

B4 I pay the Yammie Mommie $250, I decided to try plain ole 16 gage sheet metal, doubled, with some nylon standoffs and 1/4 20 bolts to put a luggage rack that is compatible with Dirt Bagz saddlebagz, duffle or Wolfman trunk bag. I used a plazma cutter so some of the edges needed sanding but so far I'm happy. Bagging it 724854Bagging it Bags_n22
Back to top Go down
rider213

rider213

Bagging it Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bagging it   Bagging it EmptyTue Jul 13, 2010 7:25 pm

taoshum wrote:
B4 I pay the Yammie Mommie $250, I decided to try plain ole 16 gage sheet metal, doubled, with some nylon standoffs and 1/4 20 bolts to put a luggage rack that is compatible with Dirt Bagz saddlebagz, duffle or Wolfman trunk bag. I used a plazma cutter so some of the edges needed sanding but so far I'm happy. Bagging it 724854Bagging it Bags_n22

Looks good taoshum, and's ultimatley more satisfying making it yourself.

Bad news on the surf/summit bag deal. Just went out to measure the r2's rear fender and it's just 12" from back of seat to end of fender.

The ss bag's 16" long, so to use, it would hang 4" over the seat, or back of fender. Over the seat would be ok...but I want to make a semi permanent mount so that's out.

I like the wolfman peak, it's long enough to carry water & expandable.

The dirtbike gear large ballistic looks tough, and half the price of the peak.

The giant loop is wicked (slick panniers for fuel bottles), but twice price of the peak.

Thinking peak. Usually end up wearing a backpack for ds rides of any kind of length anyhow.

Does the bottom of your peak have a plastic base (like the moose) SheWolf, or does it look like you could fit one in there to make it into a bolt on?
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

Bagging it Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bagging it   Bagging it EmptyTue Jul 13, 2010 8:24 pm

There is no plastic base, just a plastic sidewall. You could put a plastic base in it though to make it work. Bagging it 61865

Mr. Fisherman

Bagging it Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bagging it   Bagging it EmptyTue Jul 13, 2010 9:54 pm

I was going to get the Peak tail bag, but I am short and I can get my stumpy leg over the Giantloop easier. And it holds more and keeps the weight lower. I am not made of money and needed to get it right the first time. Make sure to seal the seams if you get one.
Back to top Go down
wilburj

wilburj

Bagging it Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bagging it   Bagging it EmptyWed Jul 14, 2010 10:28 am

taoshum wrote:
B4 I pay the Yammie Mommie $250, I decided to try plain ole 16 gage sheet metal, doubled, with some nylon standoffs and 1/4 20 bolts to put a luggage rack that is compatible with Dirt Bagz saddlebagz, duffle or Wolfman trunk bag. I used a plazma cutter so some of the edges needed sanding but so far I'm happy. Bagging it 724854That should carry a lot of stuff, but what happens if for instance you are going up a very steep hill and the bike come back over on you and you slide off the back? OUCH-OUCH __OUCH LOL wilburjBagging it Bags_n22
Back to top Go down
taoshum

taoshum

Bagging it Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bagging it   Bagging it EmptyWed Jul 14, 2010 6:05 pm

wilburj wrote:
taoshum wrote:
B4 I pay the Yammie Mommie $250, I decided to try plain ole 16 gage sheet metal, doubled, with some nylon standoffs and 1/4 20 bolts to put a luggage rack that is compatible with Dirt Bagz saddlebagz, duffle or Wolfman trunk bag. I used a plazma cutter so some of the edges needed sanding but so far I'm happy. Bagging it 724854That should carry a lot of stuff, but what happens if for instance you are going up a very steep hill and the bike come back over on you and you slide off the back? OUCH-OUCH __OUCH LOL wilburj

Yeah, it could hurt. I doubled the 16 gage so it's like 8 gage thick and all the edges are rounded so it is "dull", plus it will be covered with a duffle or a wolfman trunk bag which will cushion the dangers. I made it so that the Wolfman hangs over the edge just a bit. I thought about wrapping the edge with good ole duck tape or a piece of foam but will likely just avoid "steep hills"... If I'm not fairly certain that I can make it without falling, I usually walk, get some help or go around. more pics: http://cid-627016e09605a681.photos.live.com/browse.aspx/Web%20photos/low%20res

Bagging it Icon_scratch Bagging it Icon_scratch Bagging it Icon_scratch Bagging it 29721
Back to top Go down
rider213

rider213

Bagging it Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bagging it   Bagging it EmptyWed Jul 14, 2010 7:33 pm

SheWolf wrote:
There is no plastic base, just a plastic sidewall. You could put a plastic base in it though to make it work. Bagging it 61865

That's the one then! Will post up some pix of my kinda semi permanent peak experiment once done.

taoshum...That's alot of mods! Did the the Acerbis rally guards go on easily, or didja have to get creative? (had a set on an old klr that held up real well despite best crash efforts)
Back to top Go down
taoshum

taoshum

Bagging it Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bagging it   Bagging it EmptyThu Jul 15, 2010 12:56 pm

Acerbis guards would have been easy with the OEM handlebars... with the Renthal bars, I had to get the anchor parts that go inside the end of the bars machined to fit the ID of the bars. The Renthal bars have a smaller ID than the OEM bars. The Renthal bars are from Scotts to provide clearance for the steering damper. Actually, in total, it was a PITA.
Back to top Go down
rider213

rider213

Bagging it Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bagging it   Bagging it EmptyThu Jul 15, 2010 7:09 pm

taoshum wrote:
Acerbis guards would have been easy with the OEM handlebars... with the Renthal bars, I had to get the anchor parts that go inside the end of the bars machined to fit the ID of the bars. The Renthal bars have a smaller ID than the OEM bars. The Renthal bars are from Scotts to provide clearance for the steering damper. Actually, in total, it was a PITA.

Wonder if it's the same deal with the tag x5's. Just read that they reduce the wall thickness on the ends of them, but still may not be enough.

You probably posted & I missed, but how do you like the steering damper on the r2? Never tried one on a ds bike.

And on a bag related note, i'm pumped! Ordered the Peak last night. Can't wait to get it & change its intended mount style. Bagging it 525406
Back to top Go down
taoshum

taoshum

Bagging it Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bagging it   Bagging it EmptyThu Jul 15, 2010 9:26 pm

After ten + years of relying on the steering damper to keep the handlebars in control off-road I'm not likely to leave home without it. It has saved me so many times I lost count. There's a thread on steering dampers that you might want to read... some folks don't like them.
Back to top Go down
MeefZah

MeefZah

Bagging it Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bagging it   Bagging it EmptyMon Jul 19, 2010 11:37 am

rider213 wrote:

Neat!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
rider213

rider213

Bagging it Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bagging it   Bagging it EmptyMon Jul 19, 2010 6:54 pm

MeefZah wrote:
rider213 wrote:

Neat!!!!!!!

It is! But after looking into it more, the r2 rear fender's just 12" from back of seat to tip of rear fender. The sts bag is 16" long. I was looking for a bag that could be modded to bolt to the rear fender, so this one's out.

It may work on the r2 with the strap mounts if it'll mount so the extra 4" overlaps the seat. Hard to tell from the pics at their website how that'd work out.

Looks like they have it shown mounted to a DR650.
Back to top Go down
skierd

Bagging it Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bagging it   Bagging it EmptyMon Jul 19, 2010 10:11 pm

Kriega US-20 on my tail rack, I also have a US-10. They really are just the perfect size for the WRR...

From a DAMN ride this past weekend

Bagging it Kriegaus20msrs

Fit everything I need to camp, travel, and even fix a flat on my WR250R in a Kriega US-20 and wolfman enduro saddle bags.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Fisherman

Mr. Fisherman

Bagging it Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bagging it   Bagging it EmptyWed Jul 21, 2010 2:29 am

That is a sweet looking setup.
Back to top Go down
rider213

rider213

Bagging it Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bagging it   Bagging it EmptyTue Aug 10, 2010 6:35 pm

Does look like a Solid setup, skierd.

Here's results of my supersized moose-like tailbag mod.

Basically traced around the base of the Peak on cardboard.

Used the cardboard as a template on an old plastic campstove case (bought at flea market for 1.00 US).

Dremelized both sides of plastic case per template.

Measured, drilled, & bolted all together with .25 SS hardware.

Don't see needing to take the bag off but if so, it's just (4) bolts.

Think I like it!

Bagging it TBTemplate

Bagging it Peakmount
Back to top Go down
mnormand

Bagging it Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bagging it   Bagging it EmptyTue Aug 10, 2010 10:08 pm

Bagging it 100_3233
rider213 wrote:
Anyone found something that's similar, but bigger than the standard Moose rear fender bag?

Basically something that mounts right to the rear fender as opposed to using a rack mounted bag.

Soft bag out back's usually more comfy for crashing anyhow.

Best!

I use this Cortech soft tailbag when needed. Its got built in bungies that work well to hold it on, even in rough country. The sides are zipper expandable, and its got a nice carry handle. Outside side pockets too. Pretty dang handy all around for sure. I have the matching Cortech throw over saddlebags I used on my other bikes, but rather the dirtbagz here.

I just added a rear rack, but didn't have one all this time and the tailbag was fine.
Back to top Go down
rider213

rider213

Bagging it Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bagging it   Bagging it EmptyFri Aug 13, 2010 7:04 pm

"I use this Cortech soft tailbag when needed. Its got built in bungies that work well to hold it on, even in rough country. The sides are zipper expandable, and its got a nice carry handle. Outside side pockets too. Pretty dang handy all around for sure. I have the matching Cortech throw over saddlebags I used on my other bikes, but rather the dirtbagz here.

I just added a rear rack, but didn't have one all this time and the tailbag was fine."

I like the look of the Cortech. And fits the color scheme well.

The Peak is working out pretty well as a semi permanent mount rackless bag. Fits a ton of junk for what it is. Not tested it loaded thru a section of whoops yet, tho.

This is my first Wolfman bag. Impressed with the build quality so far.
Back to top Go down
RichardU

Bagging it Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bagging it   Bagging it EmptyMon Aug 16, 2010 1:14 pm

I have trashed a couple of those Cortech bags from being bounced around on my DRZ. I stick to Wolfman now which is much tougher.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Bagging it Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bagging it   Bagging it Empty

Back to top Go down

Bagging it
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum :: General :: WRR/X General Discussion-
Jump to: