Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

HUMM 2010 Pyrenees

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
thumpjump

HUMM 2010 Pyrenees Empty
PostSubject: HUMM 2010 Pyrenees   HUMM 2010 Pyrenees EmptyFri Jul 30, 2010 1:46 am

My WRR and my teammate's KTM 400EXC took 2nd place in the under 645 CC
class and 2nd overall at the 2010 Horizon's Unlimited Mountain Madness
in the Spanish Pyrenees!HUMM 2010 Pyrenees Clap

HUMM 2010 Pyrenees 952271193_xDye2-L

It only took 25 hours of riding, in 2.5 days, with one highside and one
lowside. Zero problems with the bike. Not even after both of the
spectacular crashes.

R2 beat out many KTMs, DRZs, XRs, among others.

We only got beat by the guys that have won it 4 years in a row.

My teammate and I had only just met on the first day of the race.

HUMM 2010 Pyrenees 952270993_2dU3F-L
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

HUMM 2010 Pyrenees Empty
PostSubject: Re: HUMM 2010 Pyrenees   HUMM 2010 Pyrenees EmptyFri Jul 30, 2010 9:17 am

HUMM 2010 Pyrenees 525406 Congrats! That's awesome to hear you placed that high. I bet you had a complete blast riding too. HUMM 2010 Pyrenees 500735

X-Racer

HUMM 2010 Pyrenees Empty
PostSubject: Re: HUMM 2010 Pyrenees   HUMM 2010 Pyrenees EmptyFri Jul 30, 2010 10:53 pm

Spectacular ! Congratulations !

Obviously you didn't have time to take pics, but is there another photo documentary somewhere ?

Can we get the general story to include the CONOPs of the race, the terrain, the competitors and all that stuff ?

Sounds like a two-day enduro. Is it a six-day type team format ?

How did you find a teammate and only meet him the day of the race ?

We had one night stands when I was younger but racing with someone you never met for two days ? THAT is crazy ! :)
Back to top Go down
thumpjump

HUMM 2010 Pyrenees Empty
PostSubject: Re: HUMM 2010 Pyrenees   HUMM 2010 Pyrenees EmptySat Jul 31, 2010 7:16 am

X-Racer wrote:
Spectacular ! Congratulations !

Obviously you didn't have time to take pics, but is there another photo documentary somewhere ?

I have some more pics. I just got back to Germany and will try to write up some type of ride report. The HU folks will probably post something in the next couple of weeks.

Can we get the general story to include the CONOPs of the race, the terrain, the competitors and all that stuff ?

Think of a typical Adventure Race (on foot, bike, canoe, etc...), but this one is on motorcycles. You have 50 checkpoints laid out over about 100+ square miles of mountain terrain. Each checkpoint is worth different points based on difficulty. You're given the location of the checkpoint via an overview map of the region. You must use orienteering skills (no GPS allowed) to navigate trail systems using a Spanish military TOPO map. You checkout at 0800 and must be back in at 1800. If you are late you are docked 2 points for every minute. So there are two major skill sets involved. 1) Orienteering/Map Reading/Planning 2) riding ability.

Sounds like a two-day enduro. Is it a six-day type team format ?

The teams are from 2-6 people. The main reason for a team is safety. It was in extremely remote areas and it would be easy to die if you got stuck somewhere alone. You ride together, not in stages or anything.

If I was alone when I had my crash on the side of the mountain, I probably would have pushed my SPOT Help Button. I was pinned under my bike with the peg stuck through my the ankle of my boot (It stopped just short of my skin). 6 inches higher and it would have gone through my calf. I was laying downhill with the bike across my legs and waist. It was impossible for me to move. It was soooo nice having a teammate!

How did you find a teammate and only meet him the day of the race ?

When you sign up for the event you select your riding ability, how serious you are about winning, and your size bike. Then the Horizons Unlimited people (Grant and Susan) match people up a couple weeks before the race. He lives in England, I live in Germany. You can also form a team and enter together.

We had one night stands when I was younger but racing with someone you never met for two days ? THAT is crazy ! :)

We got really lucky that our riding ability and personalities matched up pretty closely! It was crazy though!

Last edited by thumpjump on Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
X-Racer

X-Racer

HUMM 2010 Pyrenees Empty
PostSubject: Re: HUMM 2010 Pyrenees   HUMM 2010 Pyrenees EmptySat Jul 31, 2010 12:55 pm

Excellent.... Sounds like a lot of fun.

Glad to hear your upside-down got right-side up quickly. Sounds like a predicament I was in upside-down in 5' deep snow once into the base of a tree and couldn't move or get my ski off.

I can see how it would have paid-off to be a local. ...but either way you'd have to know how to negotiate the terrain to get to the checkpoint. That's probably half the race there !

Congratulations again. We'll wait impatiently for the pics !
Back to top Go down
thumpjump

HUMM 2010 Pyrenees Empty
PostSubject: Re: HUMM 2010 Pyrenees   HUMM 2010 Pyrenees EmptyMon Aug 02, 2010 1:06 am

X-Racer wrote:
Excellent.... We'll wait impatiently for the pics !

It's going to be a little while on the pics, sorry...The ones I took were mainly just verification pictures of the various checkpoints during the race. None of them look good or even make sense. However, my teammate had a helmet cam with 20 hours of video footage. When he gets back to England he'll mail me some DVDs, I'll edit them and post them up. YOu guys will see some pretty hard WRR riding!
Back to top Go down
Mr. Fisherman

Mr. Fisherman

HUMM 2010 Pyrenees Empty
PostSubject: Re: HUMM 2010 Pyrenees   HUMM 2010 Pyrenees EmptyMon Aug 02, 2010 5:20 am

Sure looking forward to that footage.
Congratulations! Well done.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

HUMM 2010 Pyrenees Empty
PostSubject: Re: HUMM 2010 Pyrenees   HUMM 2010 Pyrenees Empty

Back to top Go down

HUMM 2010 Pyrenees
Page 1 of 1