Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

So I went on a ride...

Go down 
+2
X-Racer
Mr.Metal
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Mr.Metal

Mr.Metal

So I went on a ride... Empty
PostSubject: So I went on a ride...   So I went on a ride... EmptySun Aug 01, 2010 3:27 pm

I wanted to start a thread for ride reports that aren't necessarily full ride reports, but perhaps just us sharing where we rode to recently and what we did. Pictures aren't needed, just a way to share with the rest of the family here what you've been up to, what you've accomplished, etc.

I'll start :)

Yesterday I took my WRR to an ORV park for the first time, Capitol Forest down by Olympia, WA. Although I rode some "trails" in the past, they were NOTHING like this. Being a novice rider, this was a pretty challenging but still fun trip for me. I went with two KTM 450s, one a very experienced rider, one a little green like me. For the most part, I kept up with them, to everyone's surprise.

The day consisted of many forest trails, with some logging roads thrown in on the way back. Overall, I would say I dropped my WRR about a dozen times. Twice kinda spectacularly. One of those times, hitting a deeeep ATV rut caused me to lose my balance and go over the handlebars. The second time, a rookie mistake, I low-sided in a turn on a gravel road, going head first into the dirt. I escaped unscathed from all the crashed, with just some minor bruising on my hip.

We climbed some pretty difficult single-track trails, the first one being "the toughest" in the park, claimed a few riders we ran into. I did surprisingly well (surprising myself, really), especially running the stock tires and gearing. I kept up with the KTMs in all but the most gnarly stuff, and that was due to my inexperience and built-in fear factor. After you crash enough times, though, the fear starts to go away.

It was a great day and I'm very glad I went. The WRR came home dirty and beat up, but mostly unharmed. HDB hand guards took a BEATING, but they are completely fine with just scratches on the plastic.

I had some issues starting the bike after stallouts and drops, but I don't think it's unusual. I was worried my fuel pump was going, but I don't think it's the case. I think in some instances you have to turn the ignition off to start the bike after a fall, and in other cases the engine may be a little flooded or not primed enough to start. I'll definitely keep an eye on it, though.

Anyway, just wanted to share. The WRR did great, I was one of the only blue bikes in a sea of orange, red and yellow. The only other blue I saw was a 250 two-stroke, a 450 four-stroke, and a WRX with supermoto tires. Yes, really!

Looking forward to reading all your stories :)
Back to top Go down
X-Racer

X-Racer

PostSubject: Re: So I went on a ride...   So I went on a ride... EmptyMon Aug 02, 2010 1:38 am

My Friday ride: Worked from home in the AM. Saddled-up after I finished my coffee. Rode exactly 4.0 miles to my office. Nothing remarkably spectacular.

Waited for a left-turn at the busiest of all of the intersections I encounter. Driver turning right migrated into the #1 (out of three lanes) in front of me. Shifted, lifted the wheel, flipped them off with the clutch hand as I passed by on the back wheel.

Made it safely to work in spite of encountering numerous cell phone cagers.

Left that building, went to another. Broke traction while laid over and jumpin on the big KTM's throttle on the rear T63 on a left hand turn. Left a big stripe across the pedestrian paint. Must have looked pretty cool from behind.

Made it home safe. Need to fly out for a few days. Next trip: Wednesday on "Yannie". Stand by...
Back to top Go down
1moreroad

PostSubject: Re: So I went on a ride...   So I went on a ride... EmptyMon Aug 02, 2010 10:50 pm

Turned a 25 mile commute into a 50 mile one with about 20 of those on dirt roads. Wanted to explore a little more to the east -- there are a few "roads" with official numbers on them that are so deeply rutted that they qualify as adventure routes -- but had to run to a community meeting.

The new sprockets, chain, Sandman sprocket cover, and Zeta skidplate all worked great.

The other day I found a new route to work. Same distance as the old one, but with only 5 miles of highway instead of 25 miles. All paved. Good twisty roads. There is a chance that you will get stuck behind a ssslllooowww commuter, but it's worth the risk if I can leave early enough.
Back to top Go down
PYG RYDR

PYG RYDR

PostSubject: Re: So I went on a ride...   So I went on a ride... EmptyTue Aug 03, 2010 8:11 am

So I went on a ride Friday from Collinsville, VA to Tuggles Gap, onto Mt Rogers on to Erwin, TN. Saturday rode south toward I40 in NC and back to Erwin. Sunday returned home.

700+ miles of mixed road; single track, gravel and asphalt.

LTL PYG was a blast!

BUTT, I need a seat mod and bigger tank.
Back to top Go down
deerHater

PostSubject: So I'm going on a ride...   So I went on a ride... EmptyTue Aug 03, 2010 8:27 am

This weekend will be 5 days and 1700 - 1900 kms on my WRX.

A friend is hosting the MMT (Magical Mystery Tour) Saturday starting near Boston.
I'm taking 2 days and 800 kms to get to Boston, but have no idea yet on my return home distance.
We don't know the campground destination, but are given a route (distance and directions only.)
Usually you ride individually, choosing either the TPNB (Tiny Peckered Nancy Boy) route with almost no dirt/gravel, or the MHP (Massive Hairy Pendulous) with more dirt/gravel. This year there is an ADV option, including single track, some steeper sections, and water crossings. Encouraged to ride the ADV in pairs, I am on team WR with another WRX rider. We're both running pure street tires.

Of the 40 riders on the MMT this year, I think only 4 of us chose the ADV option - the other 2 are on a Suzuki 400 supermoto (DRZ?) with enduro tires, and a big BMW GS.

I'm running the stock gastank (first in waiting queue for the IMS 3.0) and stock seat. Those and a flat tire (WRX wheels/tires) are my only real worries.

Should be a fun weekend. So I went on a ride... 61865 Hopefully I'll have time and remember to take some pics. So I went on a ride... 986936
Back to top Go down
deerHater

PostSubject: Re: So I went on a ride...   So I went on a ride... EmptyMon Aug 09, 2010 5:52 pm

deerHater wrote:
This weekend will be 5 days and 1700 - 1900 kms on my WRX.

A friend is hosting the MMT (Magical Mystery Tour) Saturday starting near Boston.
Had a GREAT weekend. 1895 kms, and no rain. WRX ran like a top, butt that seat has got to go!
ADV: I only did the first 10 mile section. Lots of variety, but with the bigger rocks and some bedrock I was worrying about not having a skidplate. Only one significant water crossing. Actually a giant puddle, but really dirty water so could not see bottom at all. It was probably only 10 inches deep, but with street tires I decided more speed was better. The water spray hit every part of the bike, and me too - I should have kept the visor down, but at least I was wearing sunglasses. So I went on a ride... 93746 I am amazed at how well the WRX did even with street tires, much more nimble than my KLR!

Unfortunately we did not have team WR. Dave's 2008 caught the fuel pump bug and died Friday on his way from Connecticut. He borrowed a friend's 35 year old BMW airhead (non-GS), and therefor did not do the ADV route.

I didn't have room for a camera, but a rider on a KTM took some pics which I'll try to post later.
Back to top Go down
Mr.Metal

Mr.Metal

PostSubject: Re: So I went on a ride...   So I went on a ride... EmptyMon Aug 09, 2010 7:03 pm

I'm really jealous of you guys... I was stuck at home, on-call for work this weekend. Grr. But it sounds like some of you got some sweet riding in!
Back to top Go down
inspector

inspector

PostSubject: Re: So I went on a ride...   So I went on a ride... EmptyMon Aug 09, 2010 10:04 pm

I did about a hundred miles of pavement. The first half was fun. The second half it was raining. 180deg. switchbacks and not being able to see anything equals slow going.

*hmmm..you guys are good. So I went on a ride... 61865 I can't do this without pictures. haha
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: So I went on a ride...   So I went on a ride... Empty

Back to top Go down

So I went on a ride...
Page 1 of 1