Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

strange noise

Go down 
+5
stumo
motokid
YZEtc
Mr.Metal
cmtnwr
9 posters
AuthorMessage
cmtnwr

strange noise Empty
PostSubject: strange noise   strange noise EmptyThu Aug 19, 2010 1:51 am

I have a strange noise ( sounds like something loose and rattling). Only hear it when coasting. It goes away when clutch lever is pulled.
Any ideals about this?
Back to top Go down
Mr.Metal

Mr.Metal

strange noise Empty
PostSubject: Re: strange noise   strange noise EmptyThu Aug 19, 2010 2:07 am

You mean it's there when you're coasting in neutral, but goes away when you pull the clutch (still in neutral)?

I mean.. uhh.. that kinda sounds like it might be the clutch plates?
Back to top Go down
cmtnwr

strange noise Empty
PostSubject: Re: strange noise   strange noise EmptyThu Aug 19, 2010 4:08 am

Still in gear coasting to turn or stop.
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

strange noise Empty
PostSubject: Re: strange noise   strange noise EmptyThu Aug 19, 2010 6:26 am

Got a skid plate?
Back to top Go down
cmtnwr

strange noise Empty
PostSubject: Re: strange noise   strange noise EmptyThu Aug 19, 2010 6:59 am

no mods to date. just ridin & grinnin
Back to top Go down
Mr.Metal

Mr.Metal

strange noise Empty
PostSubject: Re: strange noise   strange noise EmptyThu Aug 19, 2010 1:27 pm

Oh, well, that's a little different. It's not really coasting if you're in gear and not on the clutch, that's deceleration/engine breaking. In that case, you're still getting engine vibes, just at a different frequency and amplitude than when you're accelerating. When you pull the clutch in, the engine gets disengaged and the RPMs drop to idle, thus eliminating the vibes that are causing the rattle.

In this situation, it could honestly be anything. Loose screw (we all have one!), rock caught somewhere, etc. You'll have to try to narrow down the search.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

strange noise Empty
PostSubject: Re: strange noise   strange noise EmptyThu Aug 19, 2010 1:35 pm

My clutch lever occasionally vibrates and makes a noise I can hear at certain rpm's.

Cover your clutch lever with one or two fingers and gently push the lever away when you hear the noise.

See if the nosie stops.

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
stumo

strange noise Empty
PostSubject: Re: strange noise   strange noise EmptyThu Aug 19, 2010 1:39 pm

You could try blipping the throttle and see if the noise appears at a certain RPM......
Back to top Go down
cmtnwr

strange noise Empty
PostSubject: Re: strange noise   strange noise EmptyFri Aug 20, 2010 12:18 am

Rode about 2 miles without helmet. Lots more chain noise than with helmet on. Noise seems to be from area in front of front sprocket. But it is not as loud with helmet off (frequency related?) May not be a big deal but I would like catch a problem before it becomes major.

ridin & grinin
Back to top Go down
Akasy

strange noise Empty
PostSubject: Re: strange noise   strange noise EmptyFri Aug 20, 2010 7:17 am

cmtnwr wrote:
Rode about 2 miles without helmet. Lots more chain noise than with helmet on. Noise seems to be from area in front of front sprocket. But it is not as loud with helmet off (frequency related?) May not be a big deal but I would like catch a problem before it becomes major.

ridin & grinin

Try this. lube you chain and don't change anything else and see if the noise decreases.
Back to top Go down
cmtnwr

strange noise Empty
PostSubject: Re: strange noise   strange noise EmptySat Aug 21, 2010 1:50 am

Thanks Akasy thats the very thing I was thinking about the same time you replied. (mental telepathy) Will try that as soon as I get off 12hour nights. 7 pm to 7 am
Back to top Go down
Mr.Metal

Mr.Metal

strange noise Empty
PostSubject: Re: strange noise   strange noise EmptySat Aug 21, 2010 2:06 am

The stock chain on the WRR is the noisiest piece of crap I've ever heard. Seriously.
Back to top Go down
cmtnwr

strange noise Empty
PostSubject: Re: strange noise   strange noise EmptyWed Aug 25, 2010 1:46 pm

Akasy was dead on. I lubed chain strange noise gone. Did 180 mile ride Monday to Bass AR no noise Thanks to all who replied
Back to top Go down
Akasy

strange noise Empty
PostSubject: Chain   strange noise EmptySat Aug 28, 2010 5:30 pm

cmtnwr wrote:
Akasy was dead on. I lubed chain strange noise gone. Did 180 mile ride Monday to Bass AR no noise Thanks to all who replied

When I ride the WRR--normally weekly--I'm doing a 200-400 mile ride about 80-20 dirt\pavement. I've found that with exact chain slack and well lubed the chain will begin to make noise mostly on decel about 250 miles in to the ride. I think we may find long term that there is a sprocket swing arm geometery issue with the bike. As best as I can tell when on decel the slack upper run rubs excessively (as opposed to other bikes) on the swing arm slider guard. When well lubed the chain is quiet, toss in a little dirt and some waterr and it begins to make noise on decel by rubbing on the block. I plan on watching my block wear carefully and replace it as a use item like tires. On my other bikes it seems to wear to a set point and no furter issues and never had the noise issue on them.
Back to top Go down
mibe

strange noise Empty
PostSubject: Re: strange noise   strange noise EmptySat Jun 25, 2011 11:54 pm

cmtnwr wrote:
I have a strange noise ( sounds like something loose and rattling). Only hear it when coasting. It goes away when clutch lever is pulled.
Any ideals about this?

I just got my bike only 4k miles on it but im having the same problem would also like to find it now not later..
Thanks hope you found it so you can pass on the info to me! thanks again!
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

strange noise Empty
PostSubject: Re: strange noise   strange noise EmptySun Jun 26, 2011 8:07 am

cmtnwr wrote:
Any ideals about this?

Akasy wrote:
cmtnwr wrote:

ridin & grinin

Try this. lube you chain and don't change anything else and see if the noise decreases.

Mr.Metal wrote:
The stock chain on the WRR is the noisiest piece of crap I've ever heard. Seriously.

cmtnwr wrote:

mibe wrote:

I just got my bike only 4k miles on it but im having the same problem would also like to find it now not later..
Thanks hope you found it so you can pass on the info to me! thanks again!

Read the quoted parts above. He did find out what the problem was. Noisey chain.

You have a stock wr250x of the 2008 variety. Very VERY noisey chain-sprocket combination. Lube chain real good and see if that makes your noises go away.
Also - make sure your chain is adjusted properly. Not too loose, not too tight.

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

strange noise Empty
PostSubject: Re: strange noise   strange noise EmptySun Jun 26, 2011 11:27 am

Better yet, get rid of that rear sprocket and upgrade to a good one. That has caused problems for both the R & the X.

X-Racer

strange noise Empty
PostSubject: Re: strange noise   strange noise EmptySun Jun 26, 2011 2:48 pm

I love it when these old threads spring back to life. I get to read things I missed !

SheWolf wrote:
Better yet, get rid of that rear sprocket and upgrade to a good one. That has caused problems for both the R & the X.

* makes note to get new sprocket for "Yanni" so I can change it out when I put his new shoes on *

Better ask the girl what color she likes. * chuckle *

...and I'm not sure about the comment stating that the OEM chain being a POS. Why is that ?
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

strange noise Empty
PostSubject: Re: strange noise   strange noise EmptySun Jun 26, 2011 3:06 pm

Yeah not sure about that one either, Rob. Mine lasted over 12k. :hmmm:

strange noise Empty
PostSubject: Re: strange noise   strange noise Empty

Back to top Go down

strange noise
Page 1 of 1