Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Welcome to GPS and Mapping

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

Welcome to GPS and Mapping Empty
PostSubject: Welcome to GPS and Mapping   Welcome to GPS and Mapping EmptyTue Feb 08, 2011 11:29 pm

The number of posts regarding GPS, mapping, use of maps, etc has grown a bit. Rather than having the "corporate knowledge" spread around throughout the forum, we'll give it a home.

We have users of various experience with GPS and mapping here. I hold a geomatics degree and have used GPS units all over the world, from recreational little strolls with a $100 Etrex in my pocket, to professional work where helicopters took us far back in some of the wildest parts of the planet with a $70,000 RTK unit doing surveys for mining claims. Others here have done extensive ride reports in various places featuring very nice GPS tracks indeed. So among our members, we have some experience and a pretty good school of personal experience to lean on.

The capabilities of both recreational GPS units and the mapping software that can use that data is increasing so fast it is hard to keep up with it. Enjoy.
Back to top Go down
inspector

inspector

PostSubject: Re: Welcome to GPS and Mapping   Welcome to GPS and Mapping EmptyWed Feb 09, 2011 11:49 am

thumb

*i especially like the sticky...hopefully I can use it one day baldy
Back to top Go down
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

PostSubject: Re: Welcome to GPS and Mapping   Welcome to GPS and Mapping EmptyWed Feb 09, 2011 3:28 pm

inspector wrote:
thumb

*i especially like the sticky...hopefully I can use it one day baldy
It's one of the few things with GPSs that I have found is not contained in any manual.

It has always a source of amusement to me how many people who can disassemble and reassemble their bikes with little or no reference to the shop manual, while doing all sorts of neat things with their internet browser and Google Earth, seem unable to figure out a few buttons on a GPS and/or unwilling to read the GPS manual.

Oh well...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Welcome to GPS and Mapping   Welcome to GPS and Mapping Empty

Back to top Go down

Welcome to GPS and Mapping
Page 1 of 1