Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

supermoto helmet or dirt bike helmet w/ goggles? (on road)

Go down 
+12
combo
gatorfan
Ushuaia Or Bust
Boondocker
motokid
KLRchickie
f3joel
mattf
SheWolf
mordicai
WRXR
bren5279
16 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
bren5279

supermoto helmet or dirt bike helmet w/ goggles?  (on road) Empty
PostSubject: supermoto helmet or dirt bike helmet w/ goggles? (on road)   supermoto helmet or dirt bike helmet w/ goggles?  (on road) EmptyTue Mar 22, 2011 5:53 pm

Is there any kind of rule of thumb for using a supermoto helmet or dirt bike helmet w/ goggles for riding on the road/highway? aussuming about 60/40 city highway?
Back to top Go down
WRXR

WRXR

PostSubject: Re: supermoto helmet or dirt bike helmet w/ goggles? (on road)   supermoto helmet or dirt bike helmet w/ goggles?  (on road) EmptyTue Mar 22, 2011 6:49 pm

The Arai XD3 is made for both worlds. You can use it with goggles, too. I don't think there is any rule of thumb.

supermoto helmet or dirt bike helmet w/ goggles?  (on road) 2007_XD_CHALLENGE_BLUE
Back to top Go down
mordicai

PostSubject: Re: supermoto helmet or dirt bike helmet w/ goggles? (on road)   supermoto helmet or dirt bike helmet w/ goggles?  (on road) EmptyTue Mar 22, 2011 7:23 pm

A duel sport helment with give you more wind buffeting, helmet lift and wind pressure at anything over 55 MPH, even with the peak taken off.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: supermoto helmet or dirt bike helmet w/ goggles? (on road)   supermoto helmet or dirt bike helmet w/ goggles?  (on road) EmptyTue Mar 22, 2011 7:29 pm

I use an MX lid with goggles, haven't had any issues. Even in cold weather. thumb

A wolf's voice echoed down the mountain 'Share the bounty of the hunt with your brothers and sisters, and forever be strong and free.' supermoto helmet or dirt bike helmet w/ goggles?  (on road) Wolf_b10
Back to top Go down
bren5279

PostSubject: Re: supermoto helmet or dirt bike helmet w/ goggles? (on road)   supermoto helmet or dirt bike helmet w/ goggles?  (on road) EmptyTue Mar 22, 2011 7:30 pm

my main concern is fogging up
Back to top Go down
mattf

PostSubject: Re: supermoto helmet or dirt bike helmet w/ goggles? (on road)   supermoto helmet or dirt bike helmet w/ goggles?  (on road) EmptyTue Mar 22, 2011 8:21 pm

it's all personal preference, I own both styles and I've never had an issue with fogging up other than having to leave the street style visor opened a crack sometimes at lower speeds.
Back to top Go down
f3joel

f3joel

PostSubject: Re: supermoto helmet or dirt bike helmet w/ goggles? (on road)   supermoto helmet or dirt bike helmet w/ goggles?  (on road) EmptyTue Mar 22, 2011 8:50 pm

if it's too cold or raining I use a full face, if not it's the dirt helmet
Back to top Go down
KLRchickie

PostSubject: Re: supermoto helmet or dirt bike helmet w/ goggles? (on road)   supermoto helmet or dirt bike helmet w/ goggles?  (on road) EmptyTue Mar 22, 2011 10:33 pm

SheWolf wrote:
I use an MX lid with goggles, haven't had any issues. Even in cold weather. thumb

But what about when it snows on your nose?!?!?! eeek It was doing that this afternoon at higher elevations above Moab, UT.

Someday, I'll spring for a Shoei Hornet DS. It fits my ginormous, egg shaped noggin very well.

In the meantime, I wear dirt helmet & goggles riding trails, but I can't say I'm particularly fond of the setup. Street riding I wear my street helmet.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: supermoto helmet or dirt bike helmet w/ goggles? (on road)   supermoto helmet or dirt bike helmet w/ goggles?  (on road) EmptyTue Mar 22, 2011 11:09 pm

I have a balaclava I wear when it gets like that. It can hit me all it wants and I'm fine. No foggies either, which is cool. Mind you, vented goggles work wonders. Very happy thumb

A wolf's voice echoed down the mountain 'Share the bounty of the hunt with your brothers and sisters, and forever be strong and free.' supermoto helmet or dirt bike helmet w/ goggles?  (on road) Wolf_b10
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: supermoto helmet or dirt bike helmet w/ goggles? (on road)   supermoto helmet or dirt bike helmet w/ goggles?  (on road) EmptyWed Mar 23, 2011 5:59 am

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
Boondocker

Boondocker

PostSubject: Re: supermoto helmet or dirt bike helmet w/ goggles? (on road)   supermoto helmet or dirt bike helmet w/ goggles?  (on road) EmptyThu Mar 24, 2011 3:56 pm

Just keep trying on helmets until you find one that's snug and comfortable. Try to worry less about the style. Eventually, you will own several.

On the weekday commute, I wear my HJC IS-16 because it's white (and just as comfortable as my black Shoei TR-Z). I also wear a fluorescent green Olympia AST jacket because I'm all about conspicuity on the mean streets.

The gear is the same whether I'm riding my V-Strom or the WRR.

On the weekends, riding the WRR, it's a completely different set of gear, including the MX style helmet with goggles. The MX helmet vents a lot more and thus is noisier (yes I always wear earplugs). The visor catching the wind thing don't bother me none. It's kind of like sticking your hand out the car window, fun for a while, then you just till your head down and stop playing with it.

As for fogging - I wear glasses, so they're my first line of foggyness.

ATGATT
Back to top Go down
Ushuaia Or Bust

Ushuaia Or Bust

PostSubject: Re: supermoto helmet or dirt bike helmet w/ goggles? (on road)   supermoto helmet or dirt bike helmet w/ goggles?  (on road) EmptyThu Mar 24, 2011 6:51 pm

I was using an HJC CLX6 with goggles for a short bit, but the wind buffeting was crazy at high speed. I just got a Shoei DS Hornet and am very happy so far.
Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

PostSubject: Re: supermoto helmet or dirt bike helmet w/ goggles? (on road)   supermoto helmet or dirt bike helmet w/ goggles?  (on road) EmptyThu Mar 24, 2011 11:27 pm

There's several threads on this. I still maintain ANY visor will catch wind and usually much more than the manufacturer claims and people admit. I figure the wind tugging at the visor at street speeds doesn't bother some guys.

Not me. MX/Goggles when mostly dirt. Street Helmet/Face shield if mostly street.
Back to top Go down
mordicai

PostSubject: Re: supermoto helmet or dirt bike helmet w/ goggles? (on road)   supermoto helmet or dirt bike helmet w/ goggles?  (on road) EmptyThu Mar 24, 2011 11:46 pm

gatorfan wrote:
There's several threads on this. I still maintain ANY visor will catch wind and usually much more than the manufacturer claims and people admit. I figure the wind tugging at the visor at street speeds doesn't bother some guys.

Not me. MX/Goggles when mostly dirt. Street Helmet/Face shield if mostly street.

+1 My Hornet is a PITA with the visor on at anything over 55mph. It helps if I contemplate my crouch. With the visor off and the shield up it whistles at anything over 30mph.
Back to top Go down
bren5279

PostSubject: Re: supermoto helmet or dirt bike helmet w/ goggles? (on road)   supermoto helmet or dirt bike helmet w/ goggles?  (on road) EmptyTue Mar 29, 2011 1:37 am

Just talked to somone who made a really good point:

If you crash on the highway with a dirt bike helmet would it hold up? (say an HJC)
And are dirt helmets even street legal? Like would an insurance company use it to get out of a claim?
Back to top Go down
combo

combo

PostSubject: Re: supermoto helmet or dirt bike helmet w/ goggles? (on road)   supermoto helmet or dirt bike helmet w/ goggles?  (on road) EmptyTue Mar 29, 2011 2:46 am

A street and a dirt helmet is the best option IMO, the dual sport helmets are always to heavy
Back to top Go down
mash100

mash100

PostSubject: Re: supermoto helmet or dirt bike helmet w/ goggles? (on road)   supermoto helmet or dirt bike helmet w/ goggles?  (on road) EmptyTue Mar 29, 2011 5:21 am

Quote bren5279: Just talked to somone who made a really good point:

If you crash on the highway with a dirt bike helmet would it hold up? (say an HJC)
And are dirt helmets even street legal? Like would an insurance company use it to get out of a claim?

Here in Europe, if you ride on street, your lid MUST have an E symbol, followed by some numbers including '05'. Pretty much all lids available locally online or in-store, are road legal - I have yet to see one that isn't.... So, MX lids with E marking are legal on street, BUT goggles must also have an E symbol, indicating they are shatter proof as per EU directives. In addition, many lids have an 'ACU Gold' standard marking, meaning they are recognised (at least in the UK), as good for track use. Finally, there is the UK government 'Sharp' scheme, which gives lids a star rating from 1 to 5, which is based on object penetration etc. I can only assume North America has similar lid rules......
Back to top Go down
mordicai

PostSubject: Re: supermoto helmet or dirt bike helmet w/ goggles? (on road)   supermoto helmet or dirt bike helmet w/ goggles?  (on road) EmptyTue Mar 29, 2011 8:09 am

combo wrote:
A street and a dirt helmet is the best option IMO, the dual sport helmets are always to heavy

Combo, you really need to get your facts straight before you them on the forum. A Shoei Hornet ,xl, weighs 1542 gr, which is lighter then most street helmets.
Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

PostSubject: Re: supermoto helmet or dirt bike helmet w/ goggles? (on road)   supermoto helmet or dirt bike helmet w/ goggles?  (on road) EmptyTue Mar 29, 2011 12:18 pm

mordicai wrote:
combo wrote:

Combo, you really need to get your facts straight before you them on the forum. A Shoei Hornet ,xl, weighs 1542 gr, which is lighter then most street helmets.

Fine. I have the Shoei Hornet but it is only a "dual sport" helmet in a limited sense. Goggles will sit nicely with the face shield up but at speeds over 30 mph - and the face shield up - there is crazy, crazy, mind bending noise.

The visor, like all visors catch wind at high road speeds - period.

So I took my visor off and carry tinted goggles for DS runs. Pop the goggles on in the woods and pull them off and drop the shield for the road. You can, if you don't want to stop, drop the face shield over the goggles.
Back to top Go down
mordicai

PostSubject: Re: supermoto helmet or dirt bike helmet w/ goggles? (on road)   supermoto helmet or dirt bike helmet w/ goggles?  (on road) EmptyTue Mar 29, 2011 5:51 pm

+1 The Hornet is a big PITA ! Whistles like mad over 30 mph with the shield up and the visor off, and acts like a airplane wing with the visor on over 55-60 mph. The problem for me is if it's not real cold or rainy I like to ride the road with the shield up. Goggles only would work, but then why spend all that money for the darn thing?
Back to top Go down
bren5279

PostSubject: Re: supermoto helmet or dirt bike helmet w/ goggles? (on road)   supermoto helmet or dirt bike helmet w/ goggles?  (on road) EmptyTue Mar 29, 2011 5:58 pm

I was looking more into the fulmer ds one. But Id rather have a normal MX helmet if theyre legal
Back to top Go down
trav72

trav72

PostSubject: Re: supermoto helmet or dirt bike helmet w/ goggles? (on road)   supermoto helmet or dirt bike helmet w/ goggles?  (on road) EmptyTue Mar 29, 2011 5:59 pm

Dual sport helmets suck anywhere but the street. Even there they are extremely loud. I'll take my cheap Fox V2 (DOT, Snell, ECE) with tinted goggles for street and dirt duty all day long. thumb
Back to top Go down
Daddio

PostSubject: Re: supermoto helmet or dirt bike helmet w/ goggles? (on road)   supermoto helmet or dirt bike helmet w/ goggles?  (on road) EmptyTue Mar 29, 2011 7:46 pm

I've been using my Ski-doo modular sled helmet. In the cold, sometimes wet weather, it's been working great.
Back to top Go down
Ushuaia Or Bust

Ushuaia Or Bust

PostSubject: Re: supermoto helmet or dirt bike helmet w/ goggles? (on road)   supermoto helmet or dirt bike helmet w/ goggles?  (on road) EmptyTue Mar 29, 2011 8:12 pm

When I said I was very happy with the Hornet, I meant relatively speaking compared to the MX helmet. Still get wind buffeting at speed but not so much I can't handle it. If anything, I get a good neck and shoulder workout on the freeway lol
Back to top Go down
combo

combo

PostSubject: Re: supermoto helmet or dirt bike helmet w/ goggles? (on road)   supermoto helmet or dirt bike helmet w/ goggles?  (on road) EmptyTue Mar 29, 2011 8:25 pm

mordicai wrote:
combo wrote:

You're a laugh mordicai, you preach facts but cherry pick the lightest dual sport helmet then compare it to the "average" street helmet lol!

now lets make a fair comparison:
one of the lighter full face helmets I know of is the Nexx xR1R L is 1219gr and its common to find MX helmets around that weight for a reasonable price, and off road is when you need the light weight,
I can buy 3 1/2 M2R MX 1250gr helmets for the price of a Hornet and yes 1542gr is to heavy

the human neck is only designed to carry the weight of the head and I ain't going to put any more weight than needed off road riding
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: supermoto helmet or dirt bike helmet w/ goggles? (on road)   supermoto helmet or dirt bike helmet w/ goggles?  (on road) Empty

Back to top Go down

supermoto helmet or dirt bike helmet w/ goggles? (on road)
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next